temps affected by temp of thermometer and bedroom?? your thoughts greatly appreciated

N27murray

Reaction score
hi ladies,

i was hoping someone would have a better idea than i do on how thermometers work.

i take my temp (orally) at the same time every morning. this month i was convinced i wasnt ovulating because despite the fertile cm my temps just werent spiking. then i thought, "well its been getting really cold out lately and my bedroom is a few degrees cooler than normal". is it possible that now im putting a cold thermometer in my mouth that its just not getting up to my body temp before beeping?

because i tried holding it in my mouth to warm it up, then turning it on to read temp and when i do that my temp is MUCH higher than otherwise. and i dont think its possible for it to read a temp thats higher than my body temp becuase, well, how could it? i can only make the thermometer as warm as i am.........right? any thoughts??
and now because i havent been getting proper readins i think i actually DID O on time i just dont know what day exactly, so i have no idea what dpo i am. maybe 4dpo, maybe 8 :( so frustrating!

the other thing is maybe im due to buy a new one.
i would love to hear your insights! Thanks so much :)

Bump! I'd like to know as well! And I think I might try what you did in the morning! I think I o'd but my temps aren't going up like they normally spike after o but ff shows dotted crosshairs and I had what I though were some o pains. Good luck!

I had this issue and was never able to get consistent temps orally so just started taking temps vaginally. I live in Florida so we either have the ac full blast or the windows open in the winter with humid ocean air. I'm sure my mouth was probably open half the time too lol. Weird at first taking it that way but what a difference...

I usually hold the thermometer above my tongue a few seconds before putting it below my tongue just to make sure the thermometer doesn't cool off the under side of my tongue and give me an off reading. I noticed that my tempa are low overall this month and given the coldness we're experiencing that makes sense. However, there has always been a significant difference between my pre ovulation tempa and my post ovulation temps that no matter if it's chilly or hot, it only seems to change them by .1 or .2 degrees. My temps are in the low 97s pre ovulation and high 97s post ovulation so even if it's cold only one week in your cycle you should still be able to see a clear shift after you ovulate.

I usually hold the thermometer above my tongue a few seconds before putting it below my tongue just to make sure the thermometer doesn't cool off the under side of my tongue and give me an off reading. I noticed that my tempa are low overall this month and given the coldness we're experiencing that makes sense. However, there has always been a significant difference between my pre ovulation tempa and my post ovulation temps that no matter if it's chilly or hot, it only seems to change them by .1 or .2 degrees. My temps are in the low 97s pre ovulation and high 97s post ovulation so even if it's cold only one week in your cycle you should still be able to see a clear shift after you ovulate.

I like that idea of holding the thermometer in tongue first :) will give that a try.

but I did an experiment...i put thermometer in mouth and took temp right away. Then I tried holding it in my mouth for a bit before turning it on...that second reading wad exactly 1 whole DEGREE higher than the first...that's what's been confusing me.
I think maybe I'm due for an upgrade on thermometer... :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->