Tens machine help

evewidow

2 boys and a girl ♥
Reaction score
gonna get me a TENS machine , wanted one last time not sure why i didnt get one :wacko: anyway just wondered what anyone recommends as the best , also is it better to buy / buy 2nd hand /hire.
if you hire do they come with pads ?

thanks for any help x

I borrowed an Obi TENS from my friend - I just had to buy replacement pads for about £4 for it. It worked a treat for me: it's all I used throughout my labour and if I ever have another one, then I'd use it again. Not sure if I would lay out for a new one - I'd either buy secondhand or hire one (looks like they are about £22 to hire - I'd assume they already come with pads, but you'd have to check). xx

i bought an elle tens and used it from about 11pm the night before i delivered, until i got in to the pool at lunch time on the day, it was weird, but awesome, and i would defo use it next time!

https://www.babycaretens.com/acatalog/Elle_TENS.html

I am surprised, my chiropractor used a TENS machine on me when I was in a car accident before being pregnant but he never uses them on pregnant women because its not safe for the baby....so I'm confused cause I seem to hear about a lot of people on this forum using then for pain relief.

its not recommended in the earlier stages of pregnancy from what i understand, but in labour its short term and baby is fully cooked and on the way out.. i think that i remember reading that its ok from 24 weeks?

Hi

I hired my tens machine from Mama Tens. It was only about £30 and they send it out when you reach 37 weeks and if your baby hasnt arrived by your due date, just let them know and you can hold onto it for another two weeks free of charge. Personally I wouldn't advise buying one as they're expensive and you may not get on with it during labour (I had to take it off when contactions got strong as it irritated me). It came with pads, cables and spare batteries. When you're done just throw everything away and just return the main unit back to them.

x

I can recommend the Elle TENS - really loved this with my second baby. I planned on using it with my third but didnt bother as I found the Hypnobirthing really effective and then hopped in my pool! :)

its not recommended in the earlier stages of pregnancy from what i understand, but in labour its short term and baby is fully cooked and on the way out.. i think that i remember reading that its ok from 24 weeks?

good to know

Mine was about £20 to buy (reduced). I didn't get a labour one - spoke to my Dr and MW about this - basically there isn't much of a difference. The action of the TENS is the same. However, some of the labour ones have a big push button so it is easy to press when you are having a contraction.

My general one, had 4 heated pads, a massage, and vibration mode; which is why I choose it, and the labour ones I found didn't have heated pads. I got it from the lloyds pharmacy (https://www.lloydspharmacy.com/weba...top_category=&fromPage=Search&hotspot_prefix= )
It is currently £25, So if hiring for "£20-£30 - it can't be worth it - as you will have to buy the pads on top anyways?

I was advised not to use it at all while pregnant and NOT in labour - so tested it out on my OH to the highest setting! Hehehe! I don't know why you are advised not to use it before, but I'm going find out. :coffee:

It was a help though, even though I even commented at the time.. "it's not helping and only making it worse!" My MW sighed alittle and remined me I was in labour, so it contractions were going to get stronger! hahaha - silly me!
xXx

I got mine from here last time and I'm about to order agian - the service was excellent: https://www.tensmachines.co.uk/Elle-Tens-HIRE-6-Wks-402694-Inc-Vat41-_p_60.html

Plus, their's is only £23 :)

I was advised not to use it at all while pregnant and NOT in labour - so tested it out on my OH to the highest setting! Hehehe! I don't know why you are advised not to use it before, but I'm going find out. :coffee:
xXx

The only reason I have found for not using a TENS machine before labour is that there is a risk in may induce labour - Hence why some state not to use it before 37wks. I can't find any data to support this - it must be a theoretical risk.

Anyone else uncovered an answer?

I think it's just companies covering their backs tbh as mine came with a leaflet saying it was safe in 3rd tri....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->