Tens machine vs 'Maternity' Tens machine??

LastOneDefo

Reaction score
Just been into my local Lloyds chemist and whilst waiting I browsed the Tens section, noticing that a good few are in the half price sale. Now I've used them before in labour and know you need the dual ones with 4 pads...these were half price at £14.99 as opposed to the 2 pad ones at £7.49. I asked the chemist to make sure I was buying the correct one and he said they weren't suitable for Labour, you need the special 'Labour' ones...which as always in my case wasn't in the sale at all. I was just wondering what the difference is as they look very much similar to what I've used before, and the chemist couldn't give me any more info.

Oooo would be interesting to know!
I picked up a leaflet in Tesco but it doesnt say theres a difference or anything?

Was wondering the same thing myself.....have bought a maternity one anyway but couldn't figure it out.

I dont know but my mum has normal TENs machine so she asked m/wife about using it when we went for hospital tour, and she said no they are different u need maternity one!!

Never thought to ask why.

All I know is that you can't use the normal one, has to be a maternity one with a boost button on??? Not sure why but my mum's got that lloyds one n I was going to borrow it but the instructions say not to be used in pregnancy and labour!!

It seems the labour ones have higher settings, and also the boost button which normal ones don't have.

Thanks ladies... I have been doing a bit of Googling and found this

https://www.askbaby.com/tens_machines_faqs.htm

Apparently the obstetric TENS provides greater pain relief due to the boost button.
I suffered back problems after the birth of my second child and was provided with a TENS from the pain management clinic, that had a boost button on it?!?! I don't know, I'll ask my MW next week. :)

I have been TENS mad all weekend looking for one on Ebay. When I was researching I think the main difference is that the labour ones have a boost button. So you have it on constantly and then when a contraction comes you press the boost button and once the contraction is over it goes back down.

The labour ones also have dual channels which mean the pads can have different intensities (not sure if the normal TENS have this?)

I bought a femme TENS and just hoping it arrives in time! The boots own make one also seems good, apparently it had seperate pads which you can use for other pains and also muscle toning after birth, so maybe there's a difference in the pads in the labour and normal ones?

I would recommend watching a few on Ebay if you have the time. There are also shop;s on there which will sell the spare pads which seem to say they fit most tens machines.

xx

I have a few on watch on Ebay lol. Personally I don't rate them enough to pay full whack for them...they are good at the beginning of labour, providing a distraction from the pain but for me it became more of a nuisance as I progressed in labour, when only the hard drugs could cut it! lol

LastOneDefo, it was probably you I kept bidding against lol! In the end I bought a femme one for £29 on buy it now (I think this one is usually about £55 new) as I haven't got much time to keep bidding! Plus I was loosing my patience lol!

Sods law will be that it will arrive too late lol!

To be honest though I have read more positive reviews than negatives so thought I might as well give it a whirl!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->