Tens Machine

blue_kat

Reaction score
Has anyone got advice on whether its worth getting one and if so, which one?

I am hoping for home water birth so natural birth - and as will be using water wasnt sure it was worth spending out on a tens machine?!

I am having a home water birth as I did with my last baby and am definitely using a tens, wouldn't go through labour without it.

Last time I put the tens on as soon as I knew I was in labour and I seriously noticed a difference when I took it off to get in the pool. I never found the pool made any difference with pain relief its just easier to move around giving birth so I only got in the pool in the last hour of labour. This time around I plan to do the same and only get in the pool towards the end (this isn't for everyone though some people love being in the pool).

I have hired my tens from boots think it was £34.95 ish for 6 weeks, if you are planning on having more children though I would say its worth buying one.

thank you! Had a test of one at my antenatal class and they seemed good but then havent been through labour before so wanted to get advice from 'real' women before splashing out....I think I would probably buy but not sure what to look for

I've borrowed one from my MW and will deffo be using - I'm also planning as natural a birth as possible using a water pool and hoping to only use gas + air so want to use TENS to try and hold off from getting in the pool/using G+A for as long as poss!

I haven't used one before what with this being my first, but I have read more women saying how great it is than women saying it didn't make a difference. They are apparently quite good for the early stages while you are at home and I have read at the very least even if there isn't much difference re the pain, they provide a distraction.

I kind of left it till the last minute to think about it, but I found one on Ebay which I bought on Sunday and it arrived yesterday! I bought the Femme one, which had a brand new set of pads with it and was £29 inc postage.

If you arent thinking of hiring one defo have a look on ebay, you might find a bargain.

xx

One thing to watch on ebay, if you buy a boots one they have not had replacement pads in stock for ages thats what stopped me buying one as I wasn't sure they would be back in stock on time.

There are some shops on ebay which sell replacement electrode pads and some are universal for all different tens, and might be able to use them on the boots one. Might be worth a look.

x

I hired an Elle tens machine from here: https://www.tens.co.uk/acatalog/ELLE.html

I'm not the best at coping with pain, and I managed to get to fully dilated at home with it on a low setting fairly easily!!! Couldn't believe it when I got to the hospital and they said I was ready to push. I would say it's definitely worth giving it a go x

I got one from Lloyds pharmacy for about £30 which was actually cheaper than hiring one, and I will be using it again this time round. To be honest, it didn't do that much for me once the contractions really got going, but in the early stages it was god to have it, if nothing else it made me feel as though I was more in control and acted as a distraction from the contractions!

Sorry, I hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread, but can I just ask.........your supposed to use the tens from as early as poss in labour......if you get in the bath and take it off, when you get out of the bath, can you put it back on and it will still have the same effect? As you have took it off I didnt know if it changed things cause you had the break? x

I'm still debating whether to hire one or not. Seems that they can be really effective in those early stages, and sometimes even all the way. If you plan on using a pool as well, obviously you will have to take it off, but would be really helpful until you chose to get in the pool. You probably won't want to get in the pool until your labour is well progressed anyway.

I'm hoping for a hospital water birth but i bought TENS for the home stage of my labour as i hate hospitals and want to stay at home as long as i can before going into hospital where i plan to hopefully get straight into the pool. I get a lot of backache so for me having my own tens machine is a good investment as I plan to use it after the birth (wish i had known about TENS before I was pregnant!), although at the moment i am nervous to start using it. My backache certainly warrants using it but I'm not sure if I can use it at this stage in my pregnancy or if I must not use it til I am actually in labour. does anyone know? x

I was talking about using Tens machine for back aches/period pains during my antenatal class - midwife said DO NOT USE IT UNTIL LABOUR - as it wont be as effective. She said it lots so I wouldnt dare lol

i would definitely use a tens machine again. I started getting contractions 3 days before i actually went into labour and the tens machine was more uncomfy than the contractions so prob wouldnt use it next time until the contractions are a little bit more uncomfy. tens machine was a god send when i properly went into labour. used it from about 5pm and by 10pm was 6-7 cm dilated so did it all with just the help of the tens machine.
good luck! xx

I'm hoping for a hospital water birth but i bought TENS for the home stage of my labour as i hate hospitals and want to stay at home as long as i can before going into hospital where i plan to hopefully get straight into the pool. I get a lot of backache so for me having my own tens machine is a good investment as I plan to use it after the birth (wish i had known about TENS before I was pregnant!), although at the moment i am nervous to start using it. My backache certainly warrants using it but I'm not sure if I can use it at this stage in my pregnancy or if I must not use it til I am actually in labour. does anyone know? x

We were told that it is an absolute no-no to use it before 37 weeks! She said not to even practice on your arm or anything before then as it can have a negative effect on the baby :shrug:

We were told that it is an absolute no-no to use it before 37 weeks! She said not to even practice on your arm or anything before then as it can have a negative effect on the baby :shrug:

I was told by one of the consultants that I could start using it after 37 weeks too :thumbup:

I used one in the early stages when I had DD 11 years ago - I'm not sure how good it was for pain relief but as others have said it definitely provided an excellent distraction and I have bought the Lloyds Pharmacy one (off ebay !) to use this time around.

Can I buy any TENS machine or would I have to buy one specifically for labour and pregnant women?

If anyone has any recs on brands that have worked well for them it would be apprecaited.

Normal tens machines only have 2 pads I think where as maternity ones have 4 pads. I have an Elle Tens one that ive borrowed off somebody. I've heard a lot of people say they are best!

I'm going to get a labour-specific tens machine with a boost button, which seems to be the best option given the research I have done.

I get alot of back pain when I have period pains and I generally have a weak back, so I am anticipating ALOT of back pain during labour. I think the tens machine will be really useful for me - anyway, I'd rather have it ready as an option than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->