TENS machine?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by pregatlast, Jun 7, 2011.

1. pregatlast

pregatlast Brand new mummy

Hi there,
    Has anyone previously used or are you planning to use a TENS machine for labour? Do they work? Any advice or recommendations of which ones are good?

I hadn't really considered it before as I want a water birth but hadn't really thought about the possibility of using it at home before I get as far as the hospital and the birthing pool until the midwife mentioned it tonight at the antenatal class and I just wondered what other peoples experiences were?

Thanks

2. mummysarah

mummysarah Well-Known Member

I used one for the early stages of labour, i definately think they help take your mind of the contractions before you can have any other pain relief. Used with gas and air they are quite effective. I rented mine from Boots, it was about £30 for 4 weeks and free to extend for 2 weeks if you go overdue. Hope this helps x

3. Loubylou

Loubylou 2nd Tri with baby #3

I used one last time around and it was fantastic - good for early labour distraction and teamed with gas and air it was all I needed to get me through the rest of labour.

They are not too expensive so is probablt worth hiring one for your early labour, plus if you are unlucky and the pool isn't available for any reason, it should help you have a drug free labour.

*edit to add* The machine I used was the Baby Care Tens, which has a boost button which became my best friend!

4. ProudMommy26

ProudMommy26 Happy Mommy of 3

I haven't used one. But I'm thinking about getting one as I really don't want to have pain relief. So hoping one would help. They are very expensive though, so might be best renting one from the hospital x

5. pregatlast

Thanks - I'm thinking to give one a go, as you say - it would be an extra option if there wasn't a pool available. Our hospital have said only 1% of people use the pools but knowing my luck, they'd all be in use when I got there!!

Thanks

6. nicole136

nicole136 Well-Known Member

I found it was great last time, you can buy one for almost the same as renting, around £30 from superdrug or boots and pass it to your friends

7. pregatlast

are the ones you can buy as good as the ones you can hire?

8. summerbabe

summerbabe Well-Known Member

Are they special birthing ones or can you use any type ?

What do you do, crank it up at peak of contraction ?

9. sw121

sw121 Mum of 1

I've hired one from Mothercare for less than £30 for 6 weeks. Unfortunately I ordered it weeks ago and it arrived this week just as it was confirmed I would have to have CS - doh!! So unfortunately a bit of a waste for me. I tried it out last night anyway - followed all the instructions and I have to say I could barely feel anything. I think it's one of those things that either really works for you or doesn't work for you at all - but worth a try for £30.

10. butterfly80

butterfly80 Well-Known Member

Hi i have bought one (it was half price at Lloyds pharmacy and still is at the mo. .i paid £34) you can only use certain ones...i got the babycare elle tens one as recommended by my midwife and Nct. I found renting one is quite expensive and you may need to hire it longer if you go over your due date plus they say they are good for after birth so look on ebay and then buy replacement electrodes...you can always sell it once you have finished with it as they always sell Xx

11. Waitin4astork

Waitin4astork Mummy to our prince :)

I've bought the Elle TENS machine- I figured it's got to be worth a try!!

12. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

i didnt use one with zane but have bought one this time as i had all my contractions in my back with zane so i feel it will help me.
    i looked at renting but then on the lloyds pharmacy website saw they are selling a elle tens machine for £34(notmaly £70) when they are £30 to rent, so i bought it instead because ile be able to use it for my back pain after ive had baby too

13. leahsbabybump

leahsbabybump Mummy to 3

i bought one of ebay its the lloyds chemist one and the seller included all new pads for it etc i paid £20
    the birthing ones are differant to ordinary ones so make you sure you get birthing one
    the ordinary ones only have 2 pads birthing ones have 4 pads and also the birthing one has a boost button to press when you have a contraction the normal ones only go on one continuous setting