• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Terrible cold :(

Wafflewaffle

Reaction score
How long does a common cold tend to last when your pregnant? I've read it can last longer than normal?
I feel so awful, also what's the difference between flu & a cold? And how do you tell if you have a fever without a thermometer?

For me, the difference between a flu and a cold are great. I may feel terrible with a cold but with the flu I have fevers, chills, and my muscles ache so badly that I can barely move. If you think you have the flu call your doctor immediately.

Colds can last longer when you are pregnant b/c you can't really take anything to help ease the symptoms. Just get rest and drink fluids.

You can't tell if you have a fever w/out a thermometer. Although, it's a fever of 101 or higher (Fahrenheit) that is dangerous. Typically at that level you can tell. Either way, thermometers are not expensive so you should have one on hand.

I am against flu shots but due to the danger of the flu when pregnant I will be getting one after my first trimester.

Thanks for your help, after this week I have also decided I will be getting the flu shot even though I am usually against it.

I hope you feel better soon. I have a cold too, courtesy of DH :(

Flu is definitely much worse; you'd know if you had the flu since you'd be a lot more achy with fever and chills.

Get lots of fluid and rest :hugs:

If you had the flu you'd be most unlikely to manage getting out of bed, dressing, eating, moving, being on BnB lol! A cold can make you feel really rotten though, but a flu is much, much worse and literally drains all of your strength away.

Can I ask why you are against the flu vaccine usually?

And you can take paracetamol to help ease your symptoms if you need to. Try steam and vapor rub too.

I had a cold during my 6-8.5 weeks pregnancy. I drank a lot more fluids and did natural remedies route (warm water with honey, simple saline, Neti Pot, steam showers, and one cold drug...this was done on a day that was just REALLY bad, and it helped for a bit). I normally have a cold that lasts for a week. This time, it lasted for two weeks. Mind you, there was only about 2 or 3 out of those days that it was just bad...tissues usage, unable to sleep, pain, etc.

Ask your OB for a list of safe drugs to take. You can take it to relieve the symptoms. I wished I had that list prior my first scan, it would have helped! Regardless, just take as much rest as you can, and let your body heal.

Flu has been repeated as others - you'll notice chills, body is achy, slight fever etc. I had a very mild flu once, and it was way different than a cold (runny nose, sore throat, sneezing, congestion).

I was so sick around weeks 12 through 14, had strep throat, tonsillitis, coxsackie and a cold.. The cold was short, but take care of yourself during it because you are more susceptible to everything. If you take tylenol and get all sweaty, that's a good way to tell if you had a fever. Or if you have the chills.. And chances are if you have a fever or the flu, you will know it. Feel better

Thanks everyone, I think it was just a cold as I am starting to feel a bit better now :)

Thank you got my scan Tomo so deffo gonna ask about flu jab x

glad you're starting to feel bettter. I read that we're more suseptible to germies since our immune system is lower than normal during pregnancy...oh joy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"