Tetanus booster before TTC?

shudknow

Reaction score
I am planning to get a tetanus booster before TTC since I dont remember how long it has been since I had my last tetanus shot. I am guessing it should be very close to 10 years or more. DH and I are planning to move up our TTC plans to next month instead of July but I am concerned that taking the shot would mean that I have to wait for few months before starting to try? If that's true, how long should I wait?

Does anybody have experience with this or got a tetanus shot just before TTC?

Live vaccines they say you must wait 1 month, I dint know if tetanus Is a live vaccine but it shouldn't be longer than a month I don't think

I hope I remember to do that. I know I am past 10 years. I think I am at like 13 or so. I keep forgetting to go get it done.

In most countries at the moment pregnant women are being advised to get the whooping cough vaccine in pregnancy to protect baby, when baby is born it is vulnerable the first 8 weeks of its life as it can't have any vaccines until 8 weeks and whooping cough has seen a reemergence, having it in pregnancy passes antibodies to the baby. Tetanus, polio and whooping cough come in the same vaccine. I would check if you have a booster before getting pregnant does that mean you couldn't have it again in pregnancy? Some women don't want to have the vaccine in pregnancy, I would just do your research first.

In the UK we do not get boosters for pregnancy as routine, so no I would not get it just for TTC, but I had it in pregnancy, for my baby. (We don't actually get boosters in adulthood).

You ate supposed to get rubella checked and a booster if needed, vital during pregnancy but do you think I can get my gp to, nope :(

You ate supposed to get rubella checked and a booster if needed, vital during pregnancy but do you think I can get my gp to, nope :(

I never had this mentioned to me when I had my coil out last year, does it say so on the NHS website? I don't know anyone who had this done out of my pregnant/got children friends.

Yes all the Nhs website say, they check your immunity when you are pregnant but it's to late to get the jab if you need it them (they give it after birth if you need it) but they recommend you get tested before you ttc, it's on Nhs choices and ready steady baby.

Yes all the Nhs website say, they check your immunity when you are pregnant but it's to late to get the jab if you need it them (they give it after birth if you need it) but they recommend you get tested before you ttc, it's on Nhs choices and ready steady baby.

Thank you, it's so silly how inconsistent the NHS can be!!! I will look into before (if) we have another.

Sorry to jump in here. After having blood tests done (before finding out it was mmc ) I had a letter saying I wasn't protected against rubella so would have to have the jab after baby is born.

But now I can get a appointment at the doctors for the jab seeing as we will be TTC.

My letter said about 20% (?) Of women who have all their injections still aren't protected against rubella.

X

The Nhs info says if you are thinking if trying you should get a test but my gp says "there's no reason to think your not protected"I'm going to get a second opinion, became I also heard a lot of people arnt protected

If you're from the US, when I informed my Midwife that I needed an update on my tetanus and other things she said that my Tdap (covers 3 vacs that you need updates on) would be better used when I actually conceived since then the antibodies would pass from me directly to the baby in utero.
I had personally planned to get it all done this year before starting to get it out of the way but she said even if I got it now, I would most likely get another tdap when I got pregnant. Not that I hate shots, I just find them inconvenient and usually get a sore or stiff arm from it. So I'm just going to have to get it done later and be unpleasant for a while.

Just an update from me -

I finally did go in and see a doc about this since I was not getting a definite answer. He told me that taking the TDaP is safe even while TTC. TDaP is also given during the second/third trimester (not sure which one?) to protect the baby against whooping cough. Since it was safe to take it now and I dont have to push out my TTC plans, I went ahead and got the shot today to get it over with. If I have to do it again while pregnant, that's ok as well.

It feels good to be done and get it out of the way since it was bothering me !!

My doctor has one in my pregnancy plan. If you're due, I wiould say go ahead and get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->