The 12 week wait

Amygdala

Reaction score
Ok, so I know it's really more like 8 weeks from finding out... But seriously: Does anyone else feel like they're not really pregnant in first trimester? Here in the UK we don't get scans before 12 weeks so there's no way of knowing whether baby is even there or growing like they should or where they should. Plus no doctors or midwives appointments (other than booking but here they don't even hand you your notes yet then), so it feels like the "professionals" don't really believe you're pregnant yet either. And no movements or bump yet so there is really no evidence. Now don't get me wrong, I've had lots of symptoms but I still sometimes wonder if it could all be in my head if something had gone wrong.
Patience is NOT my strong suit.

I paid to get a private ultrasound prior to my set dr ultrasound

I paid for an ultra sound at 6 weeks as I was so scared and had a fall and broke my foot so I needed the reassurance. Now I know at that point there was a little baby in there snuggled up to the yolk sac with a strong and beautiful heartbeat. Also have another private one booked just before Christmas so my son can come with us and see what will look a lot more like a little baby :) xxx

I must have taken eight tests by now but it doesn't seem real. We'd been trying for a while so it seems silly but I think it's because apart from that line and a few little symptoms there's not much evidence.

I've booked an early scan for 4th Jan when I think I'll be 8+3, luckily the charge is relatively small compared to some places. We are planning to tell parents at Christmas, but everyone else will have to wait till end of Jan :thumbup:

I've booked a scan for before christmas privately. And then I have another with my panorma test at the start of Jan.
I've booked these things privately for early reassurance, but never felt the need to with my previous pregnancies.
Ive found the uk approach to pregnancy is a lot less medicalised than other country's. That's why we see and are delivered by midwives as opposed to doctors or peds unless there is a problem to warrant early intervention or you're considered high risk. But I totally understand you, the wait is long boring and uneventful.
Ill be booking my first doc app ointment this week and then will see the midwife within a few weeks.

Yeah I hear you. I had my booking in appointment last week. And symptoms are constantly coming and going. And on the good days I forget I'm pregnant.

I had a reassurance scan, so worth the money in my opinion. Its a long time to wait not knowing. I have my booking appointment on Tuesday :) then should her my scan date through. I am so hoping it's before Christmas!

I have had lots of symptoms including MS, nausea, incredibly sore breasts and a huge bloat bump, but I feel like the time is dragging and my 12 week scan isn't until December 31st.
I therefore also went ahead and booked a private scan for next weekend, I will be 9 weeks then. I think it's worth the money, especially as the Christmas is coming up and we have guests coming over, I may have to tell them why I am not drinking and act a bit funny with food..

I can't imagine waiting until I was 12 weeks to know what was going on. In the United States it's usually 8 weeks. Also, my doctor scheduled an early scan this past Thursday because of an early miscarriage and then I have another one next week. That being said early scans can worry the hell out of you too. I was supposed to be six weeks but I measured closer to 5 weeks o_0. Doctor wasn't concerned but I'm freakin out. XD

Yeah that's a long wait! Although it's probably better for baby not to have so much ultrasound exposure. I had three scans before 12 weeks and saw the doctor 4 times ( 6 if you count coming in for blood work only).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->