the birth of lucas - born 30th november

staycutee

mummy
Reaction score
I thought it was about time I typed up my birth story seeing as Lucas is now over 2 weeks old! I am going to be very honest although a lot of it seems like a blur and not really sure of the order things happened in but anyway..

I woke up on 30th November, 9 days overdue and very uncomfortable and restless and STILL no sign on Lucas making an appearance. I had a midwife appointment at 11.40, at which the midwife was going to give me an induction date - finally! Little did I know it wouldn't be needed haha.

Anyway I got to my appointment, and the midwife asked if I wanted a sweep to try and get things going to avoid induction. At first I said no, as I had NEVER in my life had an internal examination and was quite embarrased/nervous at the thought of it! But she persuaded me she wouldn;t be looking at my nether regions (haha) as a sexual thing, just in a medical way. So I decided to let her give it a go! It didn't hurt, was a little bit uncomfortable. She said I was 2cm dilated and she thought I would likely go into labour that day or definitely by the next morning. I thought "yeah right" because I had been trying everything I could think of and nothing worked lol.

Anyway I left, and I'm not joking, as I was waiting at the bus stop about 10 mins after the sweep, I got my first contraction! I wasn't sure at first if it was a contraction as the mw had warned me it was normal to get period like pains after a sweep, so I ignored it. On the bus, I got another one. They weren't at all painful, just like a throbbing sort of pain in my lower back. I got home by about 1.30 and by now the pains were coming every 30 mins or so, getting more painful although I could still talk and walk.

I phoned my mum as she was my birthing partner but she doesn't live in London, so I had to let her know what was hapening so she could begin travelling to London. At thhis point, the contractions were starting to bother me. I remember squatting on the bathroom floor holding onto the radiator trying to like bounce through the contraction (if that makes sense) and I remmeber my cat sitting there staring at me as I was groaning like a madwoman! I also remember I kept saying "help me!" to my cat lol, as if he was going to do anything.

For the next two hours while I was waiting for my mum I lay on my bed with my hot water bottle, watching sex and the city to try and take my mind off the pain (fat chance!). The contractions were getting closer and closer, every 15 minutes. I was getting really scared as it seems to be progressing very fast although slow at the same time as every contraction seemed to go on for a good few minutes.

Finally at about 4.30 my mum arrived and I was soo happy to see her. She phoned the hospital for me and we told them the contractions were every 3-4 minutes lasting a few minutes each time and they told me to come in straight away. By that time my sister had finished college and she and my mum were trying to help me down the stairs but there are 4 flights of stairs to go down and I had to stop every 30 seconds in agony. Me and my sister stood outside the front door while my mum had to go to the main road to get a taxi which took a few minutes but I was in frantic tears and could barely stand, and everyone going past was staring at me which I was annoyed by!

Luckily the taxi only took about 20 minutes to get us to the hospital, contractions seemed to me to be basically non-stop, and the taxi driver gave me 50p as like a gift from the baby. My mum told me that it';s a thing ppl do, give silver to the new baby, even though I had never heard of it before but yeah.

Anyway as we headed up the escalator to the labour ward i was thinking "thank god, finally i can get some gas and air, i must be fully dilated nearly!" but no. I was left sitting on a chair in the corridor for a good 10 minutes and I remmeber shouting "HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE!" to all the midwives at the desk who just stared at me.

Then a midwife came along who I really did not like she was a rude cow! I was in such such major pain and she made me feel like I was overreacting, I wasn't screaming or anything just panting really and like crying but she said "they can't be that bad that you have to make all that noise" and other horrible things and wouldn't l.et me sit or lie down and insisted I stood up and bounced through the contractions. She examined me and said I was 4cm so I wasn't even in "active labour" yet but she got me some gas and air. I took one breath of it and HATED IT. Didn't help the pain at all for me just made me feel extremely drunk which tbh I had been looking forward to bugt in the situation I was in, I just couldn't bear it and threw the thing on the floor. Then I got sick (the first of many times).

The midwife came back and told me if I just lay there I woulkd be there all night so i should go for a walk. I wanted to slap her! I couldn't even talk let alone go pacing around the corridors. The contractions were so unbearable at this point, but my mum and sister helped me up and we headed downstairs to the Costa Coffee in the hospital where I vomitted about 7 times and it was so horrible, getting sick whilst having contractions. By this point I was shouting "KILL ME! I want to kill myself!" and everyone going by was looking at me but I couldn't have cared less the pain was utterly horrific. It was all in my back and the most intense thing I have ever felt. After sittingn in the cafe for about 15 minutes we went back up where they examind me again. By now it was about 8 o clock and I remember being really shocked taht time had gone so fast, I was expecting it to be about 5.15 lol.

The cow of a midwife had left thank god so another one who was absolutely LOVELY called Poppy came along. She examined me and I was around 6cm I think so she said a room was ready for me to go in. I was so grateful because I had been in the ward with loads of other women up until that point and they were all so loud and I wanted to privacy. I got sick again as I was walking to the private room. Anyway up I got onto the bed, my mum put her ipod on which raelly helped, listened to calm music. Then finally my waters broke and it actually hurt I think! I felt a POP and it felt like a really hard kick but kind of painful, and I shouted "I've wet myself!" like a fool haha.

By about 9 o clock I decided I could not cope anymore and I wanted an epidural. The man came to do it and annoyingly had to go through all the risks first when I just wanted him to put it in! It felt very strange going in, the numbing injection was the only part that HURT but honestly he could have sliced my back open with a razor and I wouldn't ahve cared as long as I knew the pain would stop. Anyway by 9.30 the epidural was in, and I was told it'd take about 25 minutes for it to kick in. I lay there waiting and screaming so loudly by this point, I kept scraeming that the epidural wasn't working and I needed to push. Poppy said no I didn't it was too soon just breathe through it. But then she checked and I was 10 cm and she could feel his head already!

Annoyingly the epidural had not had much of a chance to kick in but obviously must have a bit as the pushing stage was the least painful bit by far as I could finally "give in" and do what my body was telling me to do rather than trying to calmly breathe through the agony of it.

Lucas was born at 10.25pm with the cord around his neck and with lots of hair! Which was a shock to us all as I was completely bald as a baby and even when i was 4-5 and starting school I only had a few blonde wisps(obviously his hair is from FOB..). It was AMAZING that all of a sudden the contractions were over, it was just the best feeling ever. My mum held Lucas first and then my sister as I just had no energy at all. My "active labour" time was 1 hour 45 minutes whihc everyone waqs amazed by saying how lucky I was to have such a short labour although in my mind it had begun at 12 in the afternoon so it did NOT feel that quick to me!

As soon as I held him (about half an hour later) I felt so overwhelmed with love I just wanted to cry, he had the sweetest little cry and was just gorgeous! With lovely big blue eyes :) I love him soo much!

Anyway sorry that was so so long haha and well done if you read it all.

xxxxx

Attachments

• DSCF0046.JPG
    DSCF0046.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 36
Well done you!! He's adorable, hope you are all going to have a smashing first family xmas!

well done hun your birth story sounds excatly the same as my first birth, but he is totally adorable xx

He's lovely babe! Congratulations you! xxx

He is absolutely gorgeous and you did amazingly- congratulations :)

oh my gosh he is gorgeous, well done!..lmao at you asking the cat to help you! lol

Aw he's absolutely gorgeous :D

Sorry that you had such a rude midwife at first!

Love the fact you asked your cat to help you - sounds like something i'd do ha!

Congratulations :D

Hope you have a lovely christmas together

x

Oh how precious, well done honey, you've done great...congratulations ox

Awww, lovely birth story, sounds like you did really well!! Lucas is a little cutie :flower: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->