The Birth of my baby girl Lily May!

charliekay

Mummy of two
Reaction score
sorry its late, these past few months have been like living in a whirlwind lol

it all started when i went for my growth scan at 36+6 on the 12th nov 2015. Baby had been measuring small throughout my pregnancy and her weight was estimated at 5lb 10oz which the consultant said was sga. As i was 37 weeks the following day the decision was made to induce me on monday 16th november i was 37+3.

On the monday i went into hospital at 2pm and was given my first lot of prostins and told to go for a walk to try help things speed along. At 8pm i was checked and my cervix had only dilated to a fingertip so was given my second lot of prostins and told i would get my third lot at 2am. No one came back with my 3rd lot i didn't see anyone until 8am the next day when i finally got the 3rd lot, they apologised and said they were busy. 6hours after my third lot i was 1cm dialted but waters could not be broken yet :cry: the doctor decided to give me a 24 hour rest break and try again with the prostins, but would not discharge me to go home for the night. i was exhausted and fed up as was my oh who had slept on a chair for the past 2 nights. i agreed he could go home for some rest and i would stay.
The next day (day 3 of induction) a different doctor came to examine me and said although i was still 1cm my waters could be broken and i was put on the list for a transfer to labour ward as thats where i had to be to have ARM. This was on the Wednesday morning. By Friday night i still hadn't been transferred to labour ward (day 5 of induction) and there was me and 17 other women waiting. I had got to know a few of the women there after being in for 5 days and some of them had been waiting even longer than me. The decision was made to put the hospital on divert as it was so busy and they had such a backlog of inductions. The next day i was an emotional wreck i hadn't seen my son all week and midwife agreed to let me home for the day which was amazing i felt like i was on day release lol a whole day spent with my son and a big fat chinese takeaway after a week on hospital food was amazing.
At 7.30pm my midwife called and said that i would be going over to labour ward at some point during that night and not to rush upto the hospital as i would more than likely be in the early hours of the morning. we agreed that i could get back to hospital at 10pm. On my way back up to the hospital my midwife called again saying my bed on labour ward was ready and to go straight over to there :happydance: FINALLY!!! it was happening.....i looked at my oh who was as white as a sheet but we were both so excited.

As soon as i got to labour ward the midwife attempted to break my waters but as baby was not fully engaged she was unable to do it. A doctor had to break my waters due to the risk of the cord coming down before baby and becoming trapped which would mean immediate c section. The doctor was in theartre so midwife said i had an hour to spare and if i wanted i could go downstairs to the all night cafe. ALL NIGHT CAFE! why had no one told me about this before?? id been in there 6 days and hardly slept i could of been down there enjoying a brew lol.
At midnight doctor was ready to break my waters, it took her 20 minutes and i was in agony so given gas and air to help. Waters broken i was put straight on the drip at 1am and told to try and get some sleep while i could. At this point my oh was fast asleep on the little couch in the room but i struggled to sleep i was too nervous and excited. At 4 am i was contracting regularly although i couldn't feel them. i finally fell asleep at 6 am and at 7am my new midwife came on shift and said quite abruptly i shouldn't be sleeping through contractions and adjusted my drip. I already didn't like her!
Contractions were coming thick and fast and i was given gas and air to help with the pain. By 12pm i was 4cm so things were moving. By 4pm i was still only 4cm so midwife agreed she would check again 2 hours later and if i still hadn't dilated the doctor would need to review me. At 6pm i was still 4cm at this point i knew something was wrong. The doctor came in to see me and suggested an emergency section as i hadn't dilated past 4 cm and he didn't think i would, also i had a postpartum hemorrhage after my first birth and the longer i used the gas and air the more likely i would have one again. I was devastated but after a good cry and talk with my oh i agreed to the section. As theatre was full i had to wait an hour and half before i could go in for it but as baby's heart rate was perfect they said there was no need to rush. i was taken off my drip and told my contractions would stop now the drip was out but they didn't they got stronger and more frequent. The midwife explained that my body had gone into labour on its own now after all the interventions and then made a comment saying if i have the baby within the hour i wouldnt need a section. well after all these hours i found the comment quite offensive to be honest. At 7.30pm i was taken to theatre and after 3 attempts they finally got my spinal block in. the doctor explained he needed to examine me before they could go ahead. i was 6cm, proof i was contracting and dilating on my own but the doctor made the decision to go ahead with the c section.

At 8:22pm on 22nd November 2015 my beautiful baby girl Lily May was born weighing a tiny 5lb 7oz, she was perfect! :cloud9:

Attachments

• 12274659_10156266220575228_8920212671607621050_n.jpg
    12274659_10156266220575228_8920212671607621050_n.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 51
Congratulations with your little girl! I'm a bit shocked with the approach hospital took for you. I would have been really angry. What a long journey!

I hope you will recover well! Xx Take Care!

Congratulations!

I'm absolutely gob smacked at how appalling your hospital sounds. Have you put in a complaint? Seriously, that's awful! Every bit of it.

Glad she's here safe and sound now.

Bloody hell that's a lot of waiting around! Congratulations though!

Thank you :) I haven't put a complaint in as to be honest I haven't got the time with a new baby, but lessons have been learnt and if I ever have another baby I will stand my ground with them x

Thanks again :)

Congratulations!

Can't believe the hospital treated you like that :(

Congratulations!

Have to say though I'm worried they thought 5lbs 10 oz was small enough to induce you that early? At 39+ 6 my lo weighed 6lbs exactly. They carry on gaining weight even after 37 weeks.

She looks gorgeous though and you did so well to go through all that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"