The fright of my life !!!

sabby52

Mother, Nanny
Reaction score
If I make any spelling mistakes please forgive me like the title says I have just had the" FIGHT OF MY LIFE" Dec just choked on a chip, yes I gave my son chips I am a bad mummy, but he had the chip lodged in his throat, he was going blue and couldnt get a breath, I just stood there like a dummy for about 10 seconds until my first aid training kicked in. It was horrible, I have never cried so much in my life, I am so lucky I knew what to do and even luckier it worked, I didnt need to call 999 but I did phone my doc because it is advised that any baby that has chocked should be seen by a medical professional, my doc called to my house after surgery (about 15mins later) and he was happy with him, by this stage Dec was laughing and playing.

I know samsmum poster a CPR thread so I thought I would post first aid for choking babies, you never know when you might need it. I am still shaking from my experience and I have advanced first aid.
I hope nobody ever has to use this xx

Choking - baby aged up to one year

A baby can easily choke on food or small objects in the mouth; you need to act quickly to clear the obstruction.

Are they able to breathe, cry or cough? If so, this is a mild case and the obstruction will probably clear on its own. Keep an eye on the baby and make sure their condition doesn't deteriorate.

If not, this is a severe case of choking. You should:

1. Lay the baby face down along your forearm, with their head low.

2. Give up to 5 back blows (as shown) between the shoulder blades with the heel of your hand. Check their mouth quickly after each one and remove any obvious obstruction. If the obstruction is still present:

3. Turn the baby onto their back and give up to 5 chest thrusts, with 2 fingers in the middle of the chest pushing inwards and upwards. Check the mouth quickly after each one.

If the obstruction does not clear after three cycles of back blows and chest thrusts, dial 999 (or 112) for an ambulance.

Continue cycles of back blows and chest thrusts until help arrives and resuscitate if necessary.

Seek medical advice for any baby who has been given chest thrusts.

This may be pretty clear for people who have training but someone who doesnt it can seem like a load of google, if you want to see diagrams go to [email protected].

Oh no hun! Sounds so scary! Glad everything is ok though :hugs:

Thanks for the advice xx

Oh no hun! Sounds so scary! Glad everything is ok though :hugs:

Thanks for the advice xx

It was so awful, I am still shaking now and it happened about 3 hours ago, he is in bed sleeping at the moment but I am up and down every 5 mins checking him, I just want him here with me so I know he is alright. I know sounds a bit drastic but when I think of "WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED" I get shivers. :cry:

Oh hun im soooo sorry xxxx i hope he feels better and you too

Its the most scariest thing when they choke.
Carly got hold of my ring , this happened this year and i heard her coughing and she was going blue i had no clue what was going on as she was in my room. So i slapped her back quite hard and out came flying my large ring :| that has scarred me that experience.
First time she chocked was on a biscuit when she was a baby and i screamed the place down thankfully my mum was there and wacked her back for me

:hugs: its so scary isnt it , im shaking typing this cos it still scares me :(

Oh my! I can't imagine how frightening that was! Thank god everything is ok! :hugs:

:nope: poor little man & poor you:hugs:

I would be pertified too! Lucky you knew what to do. Glad you little man is ok now xXx

:argh:That must have been so frightening, glad your little man is OK big :hug:to both of you x x x x

:hug: to you both must of been so scarey i paniked earlier giving my baby rusk when a big bit went into his mouth and he gagged at it xx

Thanks so much for that...I'm so scared of Sam choking on stuff. So glad he's ok and you knew what to do :hugs: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"