The late arrival of Emily Rebecca

bunchy27

Reaction score

The story of my birth - all be it a little late.

On the 1st of Feb 2009 Emily finally decided it was time to arrive one week late. This was a bit of a shock as my first child was born early so naturally I expected this one to follow suit. It was 11.30 in the morning when my contractions started. I didn't tell my DH as he is very funny with things that involve pain and blood - you can never really tell how he will react as it has been known for him just to faint. So I just went about my day as normal did some shopping and went for lunch with him and my other daughter. At 7.30pm the contractions had got stronger so told DH labour had begun, neglecting to tell him that it had actually started much earlier on in the day and he took my daughter to my mums house elated that baby was on the way. By 8pm he insisted on phoning the maternity unit I wasn't as keen as thought that they would just say to call back in a few hours. This was the point when the midwife asked the time the onset of labour had begun DH answered what he thought was correct and said 7.30pm - I very quietly said '..well actually it was 11.30am'. I could hear the midwife laugh on the other end of the phone. She just said to come when I felt ready to.

We waited a while and then after several mins of DH trying to encourage me to leave I gave in telling him that I didn’t know what all the fuss was about and that I would just be sent home again. The other reason being that I was getting kind of fed up with 'I've got no strings' from Pinocchio being sung to me with every contraction!!!! (it turns out that this was just his way of seeing me cope with the pain).

On arrival to the hospital (where we both work) the car park had a few cars from the nurses on night duty but DH insisted on parking between two cars instead of using the ample spaces available and as he was so nervous kept reversing back and forth to get into the space properly. In the end I flipped (the only time I did) and told him mid-contraction and 'I've got no strings' just to 'park the f***ing car' :hissy:.

He insisted that I be wheeled up to the unit but I wanted to walk, so to appease him I did. I had a really strong contraction in the lift which was really scary. We were greeted by the midwife and as I got out of the chair had another really strong contraction stopping me in a half sitting half standing position - neither comfy nor attractive. Walking to the delivery suite (because I was adamant I was not going to be pushed - and I don't know why) I had two more.

......Then came the gas and air and that was such a welcomed relief - although I remember saying a few times 'I can't do this. Seconds later my waters broke. I can remember whilst under the influence of the gas and air trying crack a joke by saying that either my waters had just broke or I had wet myself - she didn't find it as funny as I did saying it whilst laughing:rofl:.

My second stage of labour lasted just 5mins - 20 mins after arriving at the hospital. The contractions were that strong I didn't need to push. And thankfully no need for stiches either.

Emily was born at 10.50pm at 8lb 2oz:baby:.

To this day 'I've got no strings' makes me laugh and Emily adores the film Pinocchio even though she is just 10.5 weeks!!!

Aww congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter.

Clare x

Congratulations hun and LOL at your DH!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->