They are all giving me different advice!!!

ellie27

Reaction score
So, LO is 13 days old and is still a bit below his birthweight.

-Midwife advised me to top-up with ebm every feed

-Breastfeeding advisor at hospital advised to top-up with ebm just twice a day

-Health visitor says too early to express so I should either just stick to the breastfeeding as much as possible, but if I wanted I could top-up with formula

What do I do??

My LO is 5 lb 14 oz at 2 weeks old, birthweight 6 lb 4 oz. I was unsuccessful bf my first baby, loss of 15% birthweight by day 8 then topped-up with formula (as expressing didnt work!) and then just switched to formula only from around 2wks old .

I am hoping to exclusively breastfeed but I do need his weight up so that they can discharge me and leave us to it!

Over the last 2 days I have breastfed as normal, on demand, and waking baby if he goes over 4 hrs (which he only does once a day!) I have expressed twice yesterday, managed to get 1 oz each time and topped-up with that plus 1oz formula couple times yesterday.

He has gained 2 oz in weight over the last 3 days.

What should I do??

Any advice??

When I bf, he is awake, sucking happily for around 15mins then gets sleepy, but still sucks - not sure if LO gets anything when doing this though!

Personally, I'd just keep feeding. What's your LO's nappy output doing?

Sounds like a contented baby to me going by the nappy descriptions. I'd be most inclined to go with what the breast-feeding advisor says as I'd presume she would have had most training and experience. I really don't get the HV's advice - if it's ok to give formula in a bottle why wouldn't it be ok to give ebm??

Agree...nappies you're getting suggest he's content and getting enough.

When you notice him getting sleepy try to keep him awake longer by using following:
- blow gently on his face
- push your breast where its near his mouth and it often makes them panic and think you're taking breast away so they drink again
- wipe small amount of cool water on face to bring them round again

If LO is asleep but 'nibbling' he won't be getting milk but is more using you as a dummy at that point.

His weightloss and subsequent weight gain sound fine to me and providing he keeps gaining on a steady curve now then there's no problem.

HCP are very pro BFing but very quick to panic at the slightest deviation from the norm so as your LO is gaining slightly slowly than expected they're panicking but for no reason

Sounds like a contented baby to me going by the nappy descriptions. I'd be most inclined to go with what the breast-feeding advisor says as I'd presume she would have had most training and experience. I really don't get the HV's advice - if it's ok to give formula in a bottle why wouldn't it be ok to give ebm??

I think its because its advised not to pump until your supply settles

I'd definitely get latch sorted

https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/b...echniques/proper-positioning-and-latch-skills

unfortunately they have remodelled Dr Sears site recently but it used to mention gently pulling out your baby's bottom lip once latched if it kept being curled in, but this page is still very good on latch basics. Personally I'd advise just to keep BF and don't mess around with expressing or top ups. The main reason the MWs want your baby back up to their birthweight by 2 weeks is purely because once you're discharged you're one less mum to worry about, as opposed to any genuine medical concern for LO. I'm not just saying that to be cynical I have heard midwives say it and moan about other mums on their books; to me of all people saying they are having to go and see them because of jaundice or not being back to their birthweight and what have you. My eldest took 3-4 weeks to get back to his birthweight, aside from one cow of a HV who said he had to gain 2.5lbs in 10 days or I would have to switch to formula no-one was concerned; not the paediaticians dealing with him at the hospital nor anyone else. He then gained 4-5 oz a week every week until 12 weeks when he started piling on 8oz a week xx

the extra sucking is great for your supply... as it will bring on another letdown eventually. The later letdowns will contain a higher concentration of fat. My LO wasn't at her birth weight till she was over 3 weeks old. No top-ups. Just keep your baby latched on till she lets go (which might take awhile!) :flower: You're doing great!

some babies are just little.I quit BF'ing my son because I didn't think he was getting enough, but then when I had my daughter I was determined so I exclusively bf'd and she was 5 lbs 14 oz when she was born 5lb 1 oz when we left the hospital and it took her 16 days to get back to 5 lb 14 oz. My son is 11 and still small and my daughter will be 6 this week and still small I breast fed her 11 months and she was healthy as could be she just never gained fast. don't let everyone else discourage you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->