Things every new parent might like to know!

PeanutBean

Mumma to B & I
Reaction score
I often see a lot of threads on the same topics so wondered if it would be helpful to keep some info together in a single thread that new Mums can look through for answers to their questions? What do you think? If you think it would be helpful please post your tips/info/advice here.

I'll start and add more as I think of things. Hope it's useful!

Sticky eyes
If it's gooey but not red or sore looking then it is most likely a viral infection in the tear duct and just needs cleaning with cooled boiled water whenever necessary. If it is red then it might be conjunctivitis in which case you should take the baby to a doctor. Sometimes a drop of breastmilk in the eye might help clear up the infection. In my baby's case he has just started to fight it himself at 4 months.

I'm gonna be really depressing, but this is the one piece of advice I wish I'd had, but its really unlikely you'll ever need to know, but it is, I think, a valuable thing to know - just in case.

Learn baby CPR - you never know if you might need it - its a bit depressing, but its a good idea to have a print out of how to perform CPR on an infant somewhere where you'll see it and be able to remember it. Keeping in mind with an infant you've got 60 seconds to commence CPR from when they stop breathing, so you dont have time to look for the print out, you have to know what to do.

(I'll add, Jasper is alive and well - luckily he started breathing again on his own after an awful couple of minutes, but we really just didn't know what to do)

I found this one online, its pretty basic, we were given ours at the hospital which is a bit more detailed.

https://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/infantcpr.html

Also, it cant hurt to do a basic first aid course!

I wish I'd known how heavy nappies should be as it would have meant I'd have picked up on Elliot not feeding properly earlier -

How to tell if your newborn baby is getting enough milk (breastfed babies) -

~~~ BIRTH to 6 WEEKS ~~~
WEIGHT GAIN:
If baby is gaining well on mom’s milk alone, then baby is getting enough. A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. Baby should regain birth weight by 2 weeks. Once mom’s milk comes in, average weight gain is 6 oz/week. If these goals are not met, call your lactation consultant. More on weight gain.

WET DIAPERS: 5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day (after 1st week).
Expect one wet diaper on day one, increasing to 5-6 by one week. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling.

DIRTY DIAPERS: 3 – 4+ dirty diapers per day (after day 4).
Stools should be yellow (no meconium) by day 5 and the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is usually yellow and is loose (soft to watery, may be seedy or curdy). More on infant stooling.

OTHER POSITIVE SIGNS: After a feeding, mom’s breast feels softer and baby seems reasonably content. Baby is alert, active and meeting developmental milestones.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

For fussy babies and babies who are moving and keeping themselves awake/frustrating themselves, swaddling is wonderful! it simulates the womb and the Saddle Me blanket is specially shaped to wrap tightly and has velcro https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2609015 it was my favorite "tool" for the 1st few months.

Don't expect them to sleep though right away. Some babies do and some are still waking in the night at over a year old. And yes they do sometimes get cranky and scream for no reason, especially during the first month (they are still adjusting to the world!)

A newborn can't be spoiled, so pick them up and cuddle them ass much as you want for the first few months, enjoy it while you can.

Oooh, I thought of one! If you're having trouble winding the baby, try putting them on one leg, like a horsey ride, and then bouncing your knee - jiggling them - I heard that one on here ages ago and it works for Jasper all the time - PLUS he's directed AWAY from me when he inevitably throws up with his burp!!!

This is one thing I wish I knew about, Dec was dehydrated on several occasions.

DEHYDRATION

If your baby is drinking enough, he will have a wet nappy at nearly every change and he will be putting on weight. However, what should you look for if you think your baby is dehydrated?

* Nappies - fewer than 6 wet nappies in 24 hours or no wet nappy for 6 hours
* Urine - is consistently dark yellow
* Fontanelle - the 'soft spot' on your baby's head may be sunken
* Mouth - and lips are dry and sticky.
* Skin - may be less elastic

Some of the more usual causes for dehydration include tummy upsets, fever or sore mouth, gums or throat making drinking painful.

If you are worried your baby is becoming dehydrated, speak to your Health Visitor, GP or NHS Direct.

I think women who are planning on bfing should get in contact or at least have on hand, the number for a reputable Lactation Consultant. In times of need you don't want to be trying to scurring around finding the number.

bit graphic detail but anyone who has a girl can expect their baby to many lose a little discharge (vaginally) or even a spot of blood, i was told it is their hormones all settling down after birth, Annabelle had discharged and i was really freaked out as no body ever told me.

ALso agree that swaddling is great!

Lou
xxx

That is totally true, Savannah had some orangy discharge and if my mum wasn't a mw and know this stuff I would've totally freaked out!

Breast fed Babies with swollen breasts
breast fed babies will develop swollen breasts and may even leak a small amount of milk called "witches milk" this is totally normal as it happens because of homonal changes, seek medical attention if they become sore or don't return to normal after a few weeks and are red

This happens with both boys and girls

After birth pains
After giving birth it can take a while to get back to feeling somewhat normal down there, so try this to help speed recovery along: take a bath at least every day with a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender oil in it (3-5drops is enough).
The tea tree oil has an antieptic property and keeps any tears or wounds clean and the lavender oil helps reduce swelling and bruising.

Pain when urinating
For pain when passing urine, try a lavender and tea tree oil bath and always have a jug of freezing cold water ready for pouring on yourself when going to the loo, this will make it far more comfortable. Drink lots of fluids which will help dilute the ammonia in your urine which is what causes this pain so the more diluted it is the less it will hurt.

Runny noses in babies
babies skin is delicate and when they have a cold their noses can get all crusty, to stop them getting broken skin and a rash use a small amount of vaseline around their nose/affected area - it's safe to use and works wonders!

Runny noses in babies
babies skin is delicate and when they have a cold their noses can get all crusty, to stop them getting broken skin and a rash use a small amount of vaseline around their nose/affected area - it's safe to use and works wonders!

Oooh, good to know! Jasper has a cold and his nose is looking pretty sore and sorry!

This is great! Thanks everyone and keep the info/advice coming!

Cradle Cap...
dab some olive oil (found in chemists not the cooking one) onto a cotton wool ball and rub over affected area twice a day wash off at night with warm water

Crying Whilst Having Their First Few Baths...
place a warm wet flannel over baby's tummy..worked like a charm on rhiannon

Out and About..
always take a spare change of clothes right down to a vest for LO.. they can sometimes have explosive poo's for the first few months (a few times ive had to dash round tesco getting new clothes for rhiannon when she was tiny :blush:)

Night Time..
turn the light out... i found rhiannon wouldnt settle after the first 5-6 weeks and my sis (who is a nanny) said try it without the light on, i argued saying she had always had a light on but my sister explained she was getting older and more aware of things, i turned the light out that night she slept for 4 hours and we havent had one on in the room since

Dribble Rash..
when teething some babies develop this, mine did, it looked sore and itchy was advised to keep as dry as poss and use a barrier like vaseline

x

Dribble Rash..
when teething some babies develop this, mine did, it looked sore and itchy was advised to keep as dry as poss and use a barrier like vaseline

x

i did that for Lucas as he dribbled like mad when he's suck on his fingers and it cleared it right up!

Go with your instinct !!!

You know your baby better than anyone so trust yourself !

For little boys keep a flannel handy for nappy changes and bath times. They tend to tinkle at the slightest bit of an airing and a folded flannel over the little winky will stop it going everywhere or in the bath water.

For little boys keep a flannel handy for nappy changes and bath times. They tend to tinkle at the slightest bit of an airing and a folded flannel over the little winky will stop it going everywhere or in the bath water.

Annabelle does if hun and she is a girl i only have to take her nappy of to put her in bath or to change her and she pees everywhere. i now have to trick her into thinking i have taken it off then i quickly put it back over her bits till she has done her wee LOL

Lou
xxx

Oooh, I thought of one! If you're having trouble winding the baby, try putting them on one leg, like a horsey ride, and then bouncing your knee - jiggling them - I heard that one on here ages ago and it works for Jasper all the time - PLUS he's directed AWAY from me when he inevitably throws up with his burp!!!

i like this 1 the past week my shannon has been a pain to wind and just wont give it up i tryed this and after 5 minutes she let out the biggest burp x

:rofl: Yeah Byron used to pull this every time Dad changed him, I think because he took more time to do so than me. Always soaked his t-shirt. Haha!

And ditto about the spare clothes. I take a spare everything if I go out though it's been some time now since we've needed them.

And another one:
Take off their socks when changing a nappy. Byron was always getting his feet into pooey nappies no matter what we did and feet are more easily cleaned than socks!

If your little one goes to sleep whilst feeding take their clothes off them to wake them up again.
I always make sure i get a burp after every ounce of milk so she doesnt get too windy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->