Think I have miscarried-UPDATE in intro

Jencocoa

Reaction score
My midwife just called with the results of my blood work. She had a few concerns when we first met, so she did say she was optimistic and there were some positive points as well. The blood work showed that the hCG level was lower than she would like to see right now. They are having me come in tomorrow to take blood again and see if it went up significantly because apparently it's supposed to around double at the stage each day. The progesterone grown was also low She called in a prescription that I am supposed to start immediately today. I'm still not nauseous and I think my breasts are less sore than they were right after I got the positive test result. It's not looking good you guys. Anyone have similar stories and how did it turn out for you? You can be honest it's OK. Midwife was very nice and positive and send this doesn't have to mean anything yet because I am still very early but realistically…

UPDATE: I found out that my hcg did go up. It did not double, but went up enough. It was 3600 and is not 5700. However, I had a vaginal ultrasound and it showed a sack with a very small baby and no heartbeat. If you dates are correct, I am 7 weeks almost and there should be a heartbeat and the baby would be bigger. It seems most probable that my sweet baby passed away a couple weeks ago. They would not call it yet though. I have to wait one more agonizing week to get a final answer. They said even though I know the EXACT date we had sex (it was the only date so no other possibilities even) that I still may not have conceived until 3-5 days later and that perhaps I am a bit early for a heartbeat and that's why baby is so small. Coupled with no pregnancy symptoms and low progesterone (she confirmed that would not be what took my baby but a symptom that the baby was gone, yet I am still supposed to stay on progesterone pills just in case until next week). I get another u/s next week and if there is no growth and heartbeat, we know for sure. So there is still a chance but it doesn't seem likely. I am feeling pretty sad. Seeing my tiny baby on the screen and knowing he probably passed away and I was looking at my deceased baby was a lot. I keep seeing it in my mind. I am just trying not to think about it and be positive until next Tuesday but I am a bit depressed:nope:. Thank you to everyone who has been sending my encouragement on my various threads about this.

I just read that progesterone is not typically a cause a miscarriage, but rather the miscarriage has already happened and it's a symptom. I also read that prescribing me progesterone will likely do nothing.

I do want to find out more information but I don't think I'm supposed to go to the miscarriage forum unless one has happened for sure and I certainly want to respect those grieving a definite loss

Was this your first set of bloods or did the HCG levels not double in 48 hours? The number itself doesn't matter as much as the doubling rate. Did she give you your numbers?

Was this your first set of bloods or did the HCG levels not double in 48 hours? The number itself doesn't matter as much as the doubling rate. Did she give you your numbers?

This was my first set. They are having me come in again tomorrow so they can see if it doubled. She said not to worry yet about it being low. But it is hard to worry when there's that plus the low progesterone plus the lack of nausea plus the lessening of pregnancy symptoms, you know?

I had low progesterone with my last pregnancy and was started on a prescription. I guess it depends on how low "low" is. As the previous poster said it doesn't matter the number only that it is increasing. My hcg was doubling but my progesterone was like 10 (still considered normal for early pregnancy but very low) and they wanted to see it higher. The prescription worked very quickly and progesterone was up in the 50's until I stopped taking it at 12 weeks.
With my miscarriages my hcg did not double properly. Even if they were in the normal range when I was first tested they would soon plateau. I don't know if progesterone was being tracked at that point as it was before I received detailed care for early pregnancy.

What was your HCG level? In the beginning, the values are supposed to double every two days, not every day. How far along are you again?

What was your HCG level? In the beginning, the values are supposed to double every two days, not every day. How far along are you again?

My progesterone is eight and my hCG was 3600. She said the number being low wasn't as much of a concern so long as it was at least 7000 when they test me again tomorrow, which will be two days between the first blood test. I am 6 1/2 weeks.

I had low progesterone with my last pregnancy and was started on a prescription. I guess it depends on how low "low" is. As the previous poster said it doesn't matter the number only that it is increasing. My hcg was doubling but my progesterone was like 10 (still considered normal for early pregnancy but very low) and they wanted to see it higher. The prescription worked very quickly and progesterone was up in the 50's until I stopped taking it at 12 weeks.
With my miscarriages my hcg did not double properly. Even if they were in the normal range when I was first tested they would soon plateau. I don't know if progesterone was being tracked at that point as it was before I received detailed care for early pregnancy.

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry for your loss.

3600 isn't low at all. Mine was only 1046 at 6+1. It really isn't the number that matters, it's if it doubles in the correct time frame that's important. 48 hours is ideal but past 6000 numbers slow down and doubling time can be 72+ hours. Mine took more than the 48 hours to double. The progesterone can be an issue though so it's great they are addressing that. I wouldn't go stressing until you have had the repeat bloods and see if you numbers are rising as they should. Good luck.

I will tell you I should have been 6+ weeks with my first loss this year. My hcg was 218 and progesterone was 1.7. I was already bleeding so I knew it wasn't good. My ob said they typically see levets in the 10,000 range for 6 weeks but it can vary. 200 was way too low.

Check out beta base online and you can see the huge range of acceptable levels!

Hoping it's good news for you ❤

I had 3 miscarriages before having daughter. The first one, around 5ish weeks my hcg was 39,000 and my progesterone was only 9. 2 weeks later it was confirmed as a miscarriage. No growth past 6 weeks and no heartbeat. At that time, my OB said he thought something was wrong since my hcg was so high and my progesterone was so low.

My 2nd miscarriage, my levels were low. At 5 weeks, my hcg was around 300 (trying to recall so may not be exactly correct but it was low for 5 weeks) My progesterone was 7. I had very little symptoms from the beginning.

My 3rd miscarriage, my first hcg was just over 1000 and with my next 3 blood level draws, it doubled as it should. The 4th hcg didn't double, not even close. I started losing symptoms. the 5th level only rose by a couple hundred. I didn't go back after that because I knew the outcome so I just waited and I miscarried about 10 days later. My progesterone was tested once and it was 13.

I was on progesterone supplements for the 2nd and 3rd miscarriage and with my daughter. Many OB's are of the opinion that progesterone only helps if you start it right after ovulation, and that if you wait until a pregnancy is confirmed it's too late to help; however, mine prescribed it anyway because he said it can't hurt. With my successful pregnancy, my progesterone was 25 the first time it was checked. Also, progesterone will only help prevent a miscarriage, if the miscarriage is because of low progesterone. Progesterone is what helps hold the pregnancy. If there's another reason, like the fetus has chromosome issues or something, the progesterone will not help. The reading can be low if the fetus has something wrong with it.

Like has been said here already, one hcg isn't enough to give you an answer to anything. Your initial number looks good, tbh, although your progesterone is low. It could take a jump by next blood draw. Also, it does fluctuate throughout the day. From my experience with my successful pregnancy, symptoms do come and go. I had a complete loss of symptoms at week 7. They came back a few days later. But they can come and go or lessen and then increase again.

I hope you have rise on your next blood test. From all you've said so far though, nothing really indicates a miscarriage. Good luck! (oh, and sorry for the book)

I had 3 miscarriages before having daughter. The first one, around 5ish weeks my hcg was 39,000 and my progesterone was only 9. 2 weeks later it was confirmed as a miscarriage. No growth past 6 weeks and no heartbeat. At that time, my OB said he thought something was wrong since my hcg was so high and my progesterone was so low.

My 2nd miscarriage, my levels were low. At 5 weeks, my hcg was around 300 (trying to recall so may not be exactly correct but it was low for 5 weeks) My progesterone was 7. I had very little symptoms from the beginning.

My 3rd miscarriage, my first hcg was just over 1000 and with my next 3 blood level draws, it doubled as it should. The 4th hcg didn't double, not even close. I started losing symptoms. the 5th level only rose by a couple hundred. I didn't go back after that because I knew the outcome so I just waited and I miscarried about 10 days later. My progesterone was tested once and it was 13.

I was on progesterone supplements for the 2nd and 3rd miscarriage and with my daughter. Many OB's are of the opinion that progesterone only helps if you start it right after ovulation, and that if you wait until a pregnancy is confirmed it's too late to help; however, mine prescribed it anyway because he said it can't hurt. With my successful pregnancy, my progesterone was 25 the first time it was checked. Also, progesterone will only help prevent a miscarriage, if the miscarriage is because of low progesterone. Progesterone is what helps hold the pregnancy. If there's another reason, like the fetus has chromosome issues or something, the progesterone will not help. The reading can be low if the fetus has something wrong with it.

Like has been said here already, one hcg isn't enough to give you an answer to anything. Your initial number looks good, tbh, although your progesterone is low. It could take a jump by next blood draw. Also, it does fluctuate throughout the day. From my experience with my successful pregnancy, symptoms do come and go. I had a complete loss of symptoms at week 7. They came back a few days later. But they can come and go or lessen and then increase again.

I hope you have rise on your next blood test. From all you've said so far though, nothing really indicates a miscarriage. Good luck! (oh, and sorry for the book)

No apology I appreciate your response so much. Very informative and helpful. I had the blood draw this morning but unfortunately I have to wait all through the weekend to find out the results on Monday. Then my scan is Tuesday and I suppose that will tell the most.

I will tell you I should have been 6+ weeks with my first loss this year. My hcg was 218 and progesterone was 1.7. I was already bleeding so I knew it wasn't good. My ob said they typically see levets in the 10,000 range for 6 weeks but it can vary. 200 was way too low.

Check out beta base online and you can see the huge range of acceptable levels!

Hoping it's good news for you ❤

Thank you for sharing!

I'll be honest. I don't feel pregnant and connected to a baby like last week and I still have no pregnancy symptoms. Hopefully I'm just feeling this way because in in my head. I've never been through anything like this so I am grateful for that but it's a new and not good feeling. I don't like being helpless. My other three were without issue. This baby wasn't planned but once you know a baby is there you love your baby!

Hun I went through a similar thing. Please click on my link on my signature from when I was first pregnant with my daughter. She now a healthy 3 year old. And I also didn't get any symptoms until 8 weeks. Got my fingers crossed for you xxxx

I hope everything goes ok. How stressful this must be :(
I had spotting at 6 weeks, so had my hcg tested over 2 days. At 6 weeks, the numbers do not have to literally double. The nurse rang me with the second number and I burst into tears as it hadn't doubled. But I talked to the dr and at 6 weeks it starts to slow down, it's more 4 weeks where you want it to double. I have had some massive bleeds but the baby is still happy and safe and measuring perfectly.
I hope it's the same case for you. Good luck

As others have said they can't tell you mich with only 1 draw. I am in the same boat. I have incredible low numbers and my Dr said to expect a miscarriage even without 2nd draw. Had blood drawn today and will find out Monday. I had zero symptoms with both of my boys so it doesn't necessarily mean a problem. Hope you get good new monday!

How is everything going.... Hey im currently going through the same thing... Went to the hospital tonight because i was bleeding when i wipe... Found out that my hcg is not where is should be for me to be 5 weeks.... So i have to go back in 48 hrs... My about to worry myself to death..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->