Think I may be having a MC?

Dreamgirl6052

Reaction score
This week has been an emotional roller coaster ride...

So, I just found out I was pregnant this past week. After missing my time of the month and realizing my body had been feeling weird lately I decided to check it out and found out I was beginning my first ever pregnancy. The whole day I found out I was in shock, worry, etc but I was pretty happy still. Only me and my husband knew and planned to tell everyone over the weekend until the next day.

Wednesday morning I started bleeding heavily at work. I had bled through everything by lunch time and was experiencing bad cramping and was extremely tired. I was also bleeding out little clots at the time. I freaked out when I got home and went to the hospital. They did a check up on me and said they couldn't find anything since I was just around 5 weeks or so but noted that my cervix was closed but it didn't mean the baby was still there...

It's Sunday now and the bleeding has stopped mostly since yesterday, turning into a light brown and pink mix instead. The pain also stopped on Friday. I have an appointment with the OB tomorrow afternoon and am scared out of my mind that I have lost my first pregnancy. I only knew for a day and now everyone is telling me that I have miscarried and I won't fully know until tomorrow.

Like I said this has been an emotional week and I was just wondering if anyone has ever gone through this and still delivered a healthy baby? Have I really miscarried?

With my first ever pregnancy I knew immediately I was pregnant.... like to the day of implantation I knew. But was determined to wait until my missed period to take a hpt. It was 4 days later that I had very deep, painful AF like cramps, but much worse than my usual AF cramps. They were deep and painful, and I felt them in my low back as well which I never have with typical AF cramping. They were bad enough I had trouble standing, sitting, etc. Changing my position made it feel like I was ripping apart from the inside. I knew what was happening but didn't fully admit it until, literally, 7 days later my period came. It was no different than my usual flow, except it was a week late.

Now, I've only had 1 MC (thank goodness, knock on wood) so I couldn't tell you if that's what all MC's feel like. But generally if there is cramping and bleeding, it's definitely cause for concern.

What will likely happen is your OB/GYN will have to take a blood test to look at your hcg levels and then have you take a second blood test 48 hours later to see what the numbers are doing. In a normal pregnancy the numbers will roughly double. In a MC the numbers will decline. Similarly, in a hpt, the tests will gradually get lighter as each day passes and the numbers go down.

Please remember that if this is a MC (which I hope it isn't) there is nothing you did wrong. 20-25% of all pregnancies end of MC mostly because of a chromosomal abnormality and nothing you did. Knowing that gave me comfort during my MC.

My thoughts are with you! I hope everything turns out okay!!!

With my first ever pregnancy I knew immediately I was pregnant.... like to the day of implantation I knew. But was determined to wait until my missed period to take a hpt. It was 4 days later that I had very deep, painful AF like cramps, but much worse than my usual AF cramps. They were deep and painful, and I felt them in my low back as well which I never have with typical AF cramping. They were bad enough I had trouble standing, sitting, etc. Changing my position made it feel like I was ripping apart from the inside. I knew what was happening but didn't fully admit it until, literally, 7 days later my period came. It was no different than my usual flow, except it was a week late.

Now, I've only had 1 MC (thank goodness, knock on wood) so I couldn't tell you if that's what all MC's feel like. But generally if there is cramping and bleeding, it's definitely cause for concern.

What will likely happen is your OB/GYN will have to take a blood test to look at your hcg levels and then have you take a second blood test 48 hours later to see what the numbers are doing. In a normal pregnancy the numbers will roughly double. In a MC the numbers will decline. Similarly, in a hpt, the tests will gradually get lighter as each day passes and the numbers go down.

Please remember that if this is a MC (which I hope it isn't) there is nothing you did wrong. 20-25% of all pregnancies end of MC mostly because of a chromosomal abnormality and nothing you did. Knowing that gave me comfort during my MC.

My thoughts are with you! I hope everything turns out okay!!!

Thank you!

I have heard from many women who have had lots of unexplained red blood during their pregnancies and they went on to have healthy babies! Hopefully you get an ultrasound tomorrow just to help you feel better at least, but they'll definitely do the 2 hcg tests 48 hours apart. There's still hope, let us know what happens tomorrow!:hugs:

Not only do 20-25% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage, about 80% of those happen really early on, while the baby is still an embryo, not a fetus. I've had 2 very early miscarriages ("chemical pregnancies") myself.

The first was when I was 20 and not trying. I was late, had 2 positive pregnancy tests, then very painful cramps, a heavy bleed, and negative tests.

The second was last spring, while we were trying. I tested positive 4 times, then suddenly negative, and then my period came as if nothing was different, a couple days late. No cramps.

I hope it's nothing and you still have a healthy bean in there. I would test again today and tomorrow and see if line is getting lighter or darker. Test with same brand and at same time each day.

Follow up with your OB. If your baby is continuing to grow, they should be able to see this growth from one scan to the next, though it's possible you may need to wait an agonising further week to know for sure. I would stay away from the tests. They won't tell you much at this point as hcg stays in your system after a mc anyway and can even continue to increase even when a pregnancy isn't viable, which can just add to the stress of guessing what your body is doing. I'm in the process of a mc now (though it's a missed mc, so I'm just waiting for something to happen) and I've been told to wait for 3 weeks after the miscarriage itself to take a test and confirm its negative (meaning the miscarriage has been complete). So the day or so after, you'll likely still have plenty of hcg and still get a positive result and possibly even a darker one. Even if you have bleeding, it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong, though bleeding with cramping definitely warrants some further investigation. With my first, I had heavy gushing bleeding at 10 weeks (with only a little mild cramping). My daughter is 4 now, so it obviously didn't mean anything and I never had it again the rest of my pregnancy. But yes, considering you've had that much bleeding matched with cramping, it's something you should get checked out and they can check by scan to see what's going on but unfortunately it may take a few visits before they can give you a definite answer, especially when you are so early on. Fingers crossed for you that it's just a little bleeding and all turns out well in the end. :hugs:

Follow up with your OB. If your baby is continuing to grow, they should be able to see this growth from one scan to the next, though it's possible you may need to wait an agonising further week to know for sure. I would stay away from the tests. They won't tell you much at this point as hcg stays in your system after a mc anyway and can even continue to increase even when a pregnancy isn't viable, which can just add to the stress of guessing what your body is doing. I'm in the process of a mc now (though it's a missed mc, so I'm just waiting for something to happen) and I've been told to wait for 3 weeks after the miscarriage itself to take a test and confirm its negative (meaning the miscarriage has been complete). So the day or so after, you'll likely still have plenty of hcg and still get a positive result and possibly even a darker one. Even if you have bleeding, it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong, though bleeding with cramping definitely warrants some further investigation. With my first, I had heavy gushing bleeding at 10 weeks (with only a little mild cramping). My daughter is 4 now, so it obviously didn't mean anything and I never had it again the rest of my pregnancy. But yes, considering you've had that much bleeding matched with cramping, it's something you should get checked out and they can check by scan to see what's going on but unfortunately it may take a few visits before they can give you a definite answer, especially when you are so early on. Fingers crossed for you that it's just a little bleeding and all turns out well in the end. :hugs:

Thank you! It's already been an agonizing weekend trying to wait for this current appointment. I can't imagine having to wait another week or two for confirmation :( Unfortunatly my pregnancy symptoms have disappeared it feels like, and although the bleeding has stopped, I feel like I've lost it. It's been a tough week and I just want this to be over with. I just want things to go back to normal at this point. The pain has been terrible.

Oh no, what an awful thing to go through :( Others here have said it better than i will, if it turns out to have been an early miscarriage, it was certainly nothing that you did xx However if the worst happens, give yourself space to grieve, you WERE pregnant and it will take time. My chemical pregnancy in a way hit me harder because i felt like it was given to me and then snatched away. I hope a scan will clear things up soon. Pregnancy tests won't really be accurate if you've actually been pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->