Thinkin of the money!?!

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
So I'm only about 5 weeks pregnant but only been in my job since December.

My partner has just given up his job as we were struggling to get people to take and pick up our 3 kids from school and nursery.

Now I'm worrying about the money side! I'm not sure what maternity money I would be entitled to as I will have only been here 11 months when the baby is born!

Anyone else in the same situation? I need had this with my other kids as I was a stay at home mum x

I think you will be entitled to the same maternity as everyone else. Think as long as you've been employed with them for over 26 weeks at the time of leave, which presumable you will of been :)

I'm not sure where you live. I know where I am employed I am entitled to 6w but it's using sick time/vacation time. If I choose not to do that then the 6w is unpaid. If I end up on bed rest (I did last time at the end due to pregnancy induced hypertension) then I can go on short term disability to assist. Though I sure hope I don't need to!

As poster 2 said, in the UK, as long as you weren't pregnant before you started working for them you'll be entitle to SMP at the normal rates but are unlikely to qualify for any enhanced package they might have

Thank you!

How do people cope with the drop in wages then? SMP is a third of my wage? x

I'm really struggling on SMP if I'm honest! SMP is about 1/4 of my wage which was a massive shock to the system. Put as much as possible aside per month during you pregnancy, we had to live off savings a bit. We have run out if money and my wee one is 5 months old. I'm going back 3 days as of the 18th of next month. I'm quite lucky in that I am owed my accrued holiday pay so we are getting a nice lump sum next month - check how your employer works out your holiday pay.

If you can I'd definitely put money aside now if you can, just incase. Luckily for me this time round, SMP is only about £40 less a week that I'm on at the minute. OH's wages will make up the shortfall although we'll need to be a little more considerate of what we are spending.

Well we go on holiday in May so can't save any money until after the holiday! I'm hoping my partner will have found a flexible enough job to work around the kids by the time I go on maternity then I will just have to go back to work quicker that I want, although I done that after my last and regret it so much!

It's so hard trying to juggle a family and a career and I'm starting to think it's not worth it! I might even look for a new job part time once the baby is here x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->