This baby is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by laila 44, Oct 8, 2013.

1. laila 44

laila 44 Well-Known Member

My 5 week old turned into a complete nightmare this week! She complains, fusses or cries constantly! She isn't content anywhere. Even if I have her in my arms she's squirming, complaining and generally uncomfortable. Seems like she's super gassy but I'm giving her every drop under the sun to help at no avail. She was an angel before this. It's like she flipped a switch over night. I'm losing my patience. All I hear is complaining all day long and now doesn't want to be put down! She's even fighting naps which is turning her into a monster by early evening. Help. I'm lost. My toddler was a dream baby that never uttered a peep so I have no idea how to handle this. I don't even have time to eat :( she's already on meds for suspected " reflux" so there isn't much else to do. At night though she's a different baby and sleeps peacefully. What gives???

2. CaptainMummy

CaptainMummy Well-Known Member

Have we got the same baby?

Ella is the same. She is very fussy and moany during the day and will not nap! She is content for a while in the morning but refuses to sleep, no matter how hard I try! She does have a big long nap every afternoon for a couple of hours as she is exhausted but other than that, she very rarely sleeps (unless out in the pram, but as soon as we get home she wakes)

I have a mei tai carrier and I was going to put her in it today to try calm her, but i couldnt get her in as she was screaming and stiffening up so i gave up!

Like yours, she is great at night but during the day is a nightmare.. and I also dont remember my toddler being like this as a baby!

No idea if she has any tummy problems. She is never sick and she doesnt seem to cry in pain... im assuming most of her cries are from overtiredness but I have no idea what to do with her!

Not much advice im afraid, but you are not alone! I just keep telling mtself she will grow out of it and take any chance I get to sit on my arse! (Like right now.. both baby and toddler are sound asleep! They always seem to nap at the same time and toddler also sleeps 2 hours! I do enjoy this time of day!!)

3. PugLuvAh

PugLuvAh Pregnant with #3

5 weeks is when my son turned into a monster. I called weeks 5 to 9 the month of hell.

Screaming, fussing, no sleeping--completely awful :(

At 9 weeks he FINALLY liked the swing and we got our life back. You are definitely not alone; hope it turns around soon.

4. laila 44

Wow. It really sucks. She's a completely different baby. Spoke to pediatrician this morning and he suggested switching to lactose free formula to see if that helps the gas. I'm trying it but not hopeful. Don't know what to do with her and I can't get anything done. I feel like crying.

5. jd83

jd83 Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

I agree, it could be the formula, and you might need to try a few kinds to find something gentler on tummy. Also could be trapped wind that the drops are not relieving. There are some good exercises you can try (look up some on Youtube) to see if they help give any relief, like bicycling the legs, pushing legs in toward tummy to help relieve pressure, etc. Or tummy massages. Its hard when you feel like you've tried everything and nothing is working! But hang in there, momma, keep working on finding a solution.

6. Nela

Nela Mum of 1 + Expecting

It could still be the reflux acting up. My boy has it and by the evening he is so exhausted he nearly passes out. Sometimes, they can panic from the discomfort and get more fussy from the panic than from the discomfort itself. Have you putting her in the car seat to nap? Just to see if that can help? Maybe being more flat is making the reflux worse. I have my son's mattress raised but he still doesn't like it if his reflux is acting up.

The other thing that comes to mind is overstimulation. Have you heard of this? Sometimes, there's just too much going on around them and they just can't settle enough to sleep while they are taking everything in. Swaddling him in a quiet area helps my son a lot with this and he normally falls asleep very quickly after this. Things we might not think of like the tv, lights, other sounds can be very stimulating to them so it's good to try and limit how much is going on at once.

Hang in there! My son has bad silent acid reflux and is struggling with constipation and gas from the treatment so I know all too well how exhausting it is to have a baby crying/screaming all day long! The worst thing is I panicked everytime he'd start up, thinking the pain is coming, and really he was overstimulated!!! All he wanted to do was sleep but couldn't because his mind was going crazy and there I was putting him through more and more brain-stimulating things! :dohh:

I hope your lil one feels better soon! :hugs:

7. Katerpillar

Katerpillar Mammy to 1 cheeky monkey!

I agree with PP - my LO used to get overstimulated sooooo easily! Even at 10 weeks, 10 minutes lying on her mat looking at lights with gentle music on used to send her batty! She would cry for what seemed like forever and I used to feel like tearing my hair out!! I found that being selective with what she was exposed to helped a lot but fully appreciate that that must be so much harder with a toddler as the TV that you may use to entertain them can be so overstimulating to a baby! I'm sorry I'm not much help but I do feel your pain as I remember how fussy my LO used to be and it was soooo hard! She is like a different baby now though so it does get easier babe! Hope she gives you a break soon - hang in there xx

8. lanaross

lanaross Mom to Bella and Greyson

same here, a very sudden change this past week progressing to worse every day :( I read that colic/reflux picks up at 6-8 weeks so right on target. The only thing is my bubs was born five weeks early so if this is not a peak, I give up right now. So far I am only on colic calm that seems to help somewhat but about five times per day I want to call his pediatrician and get him meds :(

9. firsttime83

firsttime83 Well-Known Member

At 6-7 weeks my LO was a nightmare as well... hubby and I call it the week from hell. She was a great baby and then she switched like a switch. I've been told by my friends with babies that their babies did the same around this time. It's one of the biggest growth spurts. If you are breastfeeding, I think it is a big factor. They are building up your supply and constantly hungry!

It will pass! I promise :hugs:

10. iluvmyfamily

iluvmyfamily mom to 5 babies 1 angel

It could actually be a growth spurt. All my kids have gone through it, at different times, and when they went through it, they were the same way your baby girl is now. It didn't last long though. Maybe a few days to a week. You mention she may have reflux. My first had it so bad and she would cry and cry nonstop. It made me so sad to see her like that. When she would projectile vomit, I felt her pain. I know how hard this is for you, believe me. And I also know how exhausted you must be, and not to mention frustrated. It's all normal and to be expected from any parent going through what you're going through. As for the formula, that very well could be another reason why. My 3rd was like this. He was fine until we switched his formula due to WIC and he flipped out. We switched him back after a week and he went back to normal. I say do what you have to do with the formula, give the meds some time to work for her and if they don't then maybe her pedi has another med in mind than she can maybe try, and just try to ride it out for now because it could just be some changes she's going through.

11. CordeliaJ

CordeliaJ Well-Known Member

Hi, I haven't really got any advice but I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.

Unfortunately we've had this fussy squirmy screaming thing from day one. I thought I fixed it around 5 weeks with a really good napping routine and always got him down before he got too tired, but a week later and it all started back up again! He has reflux, we use infant gaviscon but it's hard to do it all the time when breastfeeding. He also gets bad wind and he's overstimulated very quickly. The overstimulation is the hardest because I see him getting tired, but he'll scream if I try and put him down for a nap. If I'm lucky he'll fall asleep on me then I can put him down, but more often than not even when I'm holding him he will wind himself up and start screaming. Sometimes it makes me cry so much out of frustration, and my back is also screwed from holding him all the time. It's very tough having a screaming baby so I feel for anyone else going through this. X

12. laila 44

Thank u ladies for your thoughtful advice I'm currently lying down and swinging her bouncer with my foot! She's non stop complaining. The worst is during feeds, she has so much gas that she fights and screams while gulping the bottle. Wtf though. C'mon. Even her feeds are becoming impossible I'm at the end of my rope. Changed formula, bottles, routine, she's on zantac for reflux, I swaddle, use gripe water, colic drops, homeopathic drops nothing works!!!!!! At this point I give up. Gotta say I finally understand what women go through with these high needs babies. I was spoiled with my first but man do I ever have sympathy for all these moms now. This is hell I'm pretty sure lol

13. Nela

Nela Mum of 1 + Expecting

14. hubblybubbly

hubblybubbly Well-Known Member

My first was high needs refluxy (my second is still high needs but comparably a piece of cake) have you tried a stretchy wrap? It helps as it holds them upright, cuts out overstimulation, allows them to be close to you, you can pop in a dummy and go about your business, leaves you hands free to do th housework or play with toddler and 9 times out of ten I look down 5 mins later and she's asleep.
    A bit of hope for you, dd1 got much easier about the 16 week mark and is now a relatively easy toddler. X