This may be a dumb question but i thought you were pregnant for only 9 mo??

Veryv

Reaction score
Ok, so im 23 wks (nearly 6mo) preg and my due date is 4 months away.. That is 10 months!! Im confused!

It depends on how the weeks fall...an average pregnancy is 40wks, if you say 4wks per month then it's 10mo...but calendar months can have more or less than 4wks so it really depends on when you get pregnant. I got pregnant in Sept and will have him in June so that's 9 calendar months.

Yep, pregnancy is 40 weeks....divided by 4= 10 months. Other than Feb though every month has more than 28 days so more than 4 weeks in a month.

I always looked at it as 9 completed months, so the 'next' day is the beginning of the 10th month. Still sounds like 10 months when we normally think if it as 9.

Also, pregnancy is measured 40 weeks from your last menstrual cycle...so really two of those weeks (give or take, depending on when you ovulated) you're not pregnant. So really it's like 9.5 months...ish. I actually thought a lot about that too, so don't feel silly! I'm glad someone else wonders about this and it's not just me! Hehe:)

they are liars! that has been bothering me the whole time too. Its closer to a year and 3 seasons. haha.

Some people are pregnant for almost 11! i cant imagine being 3 weeks late.

I didn't know it was technically 10 months either until I got pregnant. My OB told me that the previous generation thought pregnancy should be shorter and that it hasn't always been considered 40 weeks.

This link is fab for working out how many months you technically are https://members.cox.net/david.kutzler/CountDown.htm

I was told my GP when I first went in that it's actually nearer to 10 months, it doesn't help with the feeling that you're pregnant for an eternity!

I'm so glad you posted this...I'm exactly the same :haha: Its so confusing :flower:

My grandma was pregnant for 11 months! Back then they wouldn't induce and my uncle was a month overdue and weighed 10lbs. Yikes. I was 13 days overdue and that was enough.

I use this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Prenatal_development_table.svg

When I told people yesterday that I was pregnant and I was nearly 15 weeks, they couldn't figure out how my due date was at the end of July. It would've been even worse before the dating scan as my due date was August!!

9 months is exactly 39 weeks (I know because 3/4 of a year is 9 months, and a year has 52 weeks so 3/4 of 52 is 39). Sorry the maths teacher in me could not let it pass :)

So if you don't count the first two weeks when you actually have not conceived yet an overdue pregnacy at 41 weeks the baby will be alive for exactly 9 months.

lol I discovered this when I was counting out the weeks on my calendar... I thought my counting skills had somehow diminished.

There's more than 4 weeks in each month (except Feb of course). And you aren't pregnant at all for the first 2 or so weeks of "pregnancy." So, you're really only pregnant for 9 months.

Example: I ovulated/conceived October 23. I'm Due July 16. That's less than 9 months -- 9 months exactly would be July 23 and I'm due a week before.
On top of that, I didn't get a bfp until 11/3, so even if I do carry to 40 weeks, I'll only have known I was pregnant for 8.5 months. :wacko:

On top of all this, you're considered "full term" at 37 weeks (at which point you've only actually been pregnant for 35 weeks and you've only known you're pregnant for 33 weeks or so which is just 8 months). :haha:

i kept counting through my pregnancys and always got confused! i was 2 weeks late with my 1st and 3 days late with my 2nd. god help me with my 3rd :p x

Yes I think it's a hidden secret until you're actually pregnant! From 'conception' to edd mine is 9 months and 3 weeks! Feel like an elephant already!

I'm 23 weeks today and only 5 months if we're working to 9 months!
aaagghhh too confusing! Roll on May for me :+)

Work out how many months you are by your due date. For example..i am due on the 16th May so every month on the 16th i am another month on. I wont be 6 months then until the 16th February and im further on than you..so you wont be 6 months currently.

I try not to use months when describing where I am in my pregnancy, too bloody confusing! There is always 7 days in a week, but rarely 28 days in a month...so I stick to the reliable weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"