This whole food thing sucks.

Samantha675

Maybe baby #3?!?
Reaction score
So as some of you many remember, Brenn was very slow onto the solids. He is now eating more, and nursing less, but he will only eat a hand full of items. Bread (ceral, waffle ect.), yogurt, avocado, banana, grapes sometimes, watermelon, apple and pear. I can not get him to eat meat, or veg! It's driving me nuts. How do I get him to start eating a variety of foods? I put stuff on his try and he either cries at it, or ignores it or sometimes tosses it over the side. If I try to get him to take a bite, he immediatly clamps his mouth shut, and starts shaking his head no. I am at a loss here. :dohh:

Hayden was the same way. I would just keep offering them, he will eventually take to them. Maybe try giving him just some meat and veggies...not the stuff he likes and let him eat what he wants...then if he eats well then give him the fruit for a dessert or something

Stick with fingerfoods as he can help himself to those. Try not to make a fuss as this will make it harder for you and him sweetie:hugs:

I would try and stay away from most sweet things right now. I wouldnt even give him something sweet as a reward. Kids generally will like fruit and stuff better...

Have you tried giving him tuna? Jasmine isnt big on meat right now either, I think because its a bit hard to make an actual figer food with it at this age...

But she looooves tuna and gobbles it down so easy. I put it on beechnut rice cakes for her mixed with a little mayo.

Sorry if that first bit seemed harsh, I just remember one friend, I met her when her son was 3 and they never pushed foods on him. And he is quite a bit older now and is a complete brat. He is also extremely underweight and does not look healthy. The only thing he likes to eat is candy, cheese, some fruit and hot dogs. Which is nowhere near healthy.

We've found with Hannah and meats we have to make the pieces tiny before she'll eat them. And it can still be hit or miss with them. Have you tried "hiding" foods in others. Say putting broccoli or peas in mashed potatoes? I agree with the others too on not offering fruits right off. Hannah gets them as a dessert item generally but not with her main dinner (for lunch she always has a fruit and cottage cheese...)

Throwing food seems to be an age thing because Hannah does this all the time, even if she is eating the food she still likes to throw it off :wacko:

Finally does he have any teeth coming through? This really affects Hannah's willingness to eat different foods. Generally when she's teething she'll only eat a handful of items...the rest of the time she's pretty open

have you tried eggs or peanut butter? Hannah loves both of these

Throwing food seems to be an age thing because Hannah does this all the time, even if she is eating the food she still likes to throw it off :wacko:

Jasmine likes to give food to our dog :coffee: I am not sure what to do about that LOL... she also likes to feed me. I guess she just likes to share.

Hannah isn't even feeding the cats she just throws it and than laughs about it :rofl: We keep a sheet under the high chair for this reason.....

He has all of his teeth now, so I know that no matter what I give him, he can chew it. He is just being stubborn I really feel. I spoke to our Dr. yesterday and she said that eating is one of the things a toddler can totally control, so they do. I just have to be patient. She said give him stuff he will eat, as well as stuff he won't, and if he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat and maybe at the next sitting he will be hungry and try something new. She said that since he is still nursing, and eating a few things that its not a worry. He is happy and healthy, and thriving, so don't be so uptight. I guess I just get frustrated when I am with my friends who have kids the same age, and they eat anything, and everything that is put on their tray quite happily while Brenn is sitting there with his lips clamped shut and shaking his head 'NO'. ugh!

:hugs: I think your doctor gave you some good advice. I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating but keep trying and one of these days he might surprise you and be more willing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->