Those in the UK - did you get a choice to have a D&C?

BrownieBaby

Reaction score
Hi,

I had an early scan last Friday when I should have been 7+6 but there was just 2 empty gestational sacs measuring 11mm and 5mm. I have a follow-up scan tomorrow morning but as you can imagine, I'm not hopeful.

We've been TTC for 2 years, and was on clomid (4th cycle) when we got our BFP. To say we're gutted is an understatement.

My question is, anyone in a similar situation, were you just told a course of action i.e. wait it out or medication, or were you given an option? My preferred option would be a D&C, just wondering if I'll need to push for it or not.

TIA xxx

Not sure because you are still early, my last missed miscarriage was at 12 weeks, and just found out I'm surprise 12 weeks and no heart beat found (still waiting confirmation by US).

I was given the option last time and I will push for the same this time if needed.

Hi, I have just found out today that I have definitely experienced a missed miscarriage. I am today 9 weeks and 5 days and went in for a checkup because I have antibodies so high risk pregnancy.

So my consultant sent me for a scan (last thursday) as routine and they found no heartbeat. Week on, which was the worst week of my life, I went for followup scan and still no growth or heartbeat. They told be that I lost baby 2 weeks ago from measurement.

I was then sent into a private room with midwives and they never offered me anything apart from advice and they wait for pregnant lady to miscarry naturally. If in 3 weeks times I still test positive on pregnancy test I am to return as then they will intervene with assistance.

Great. I keep crying and my lil ones keeps asking me why I am crying all the time. Oh it's nothing go and play.

Eternal - so sorry for your losses. Thanks, I hope they give you a choice, or an option that you are comfortable with.

fandabby - sorry to hear about your loss, and also that you didn't get a choice. I'm worried that will happen to me too. I hope things happen quickly for you as the waiting is horrendous. Give your little ones an extra squeeze xxx

Thanks, I won't know until tomorrow of this one is a loss but it sounds like it.

Ask, it won't hurt to ask, they may just say no, but if they don't offer do ask.

Browniebaby - I am so sorry for your loss. It's such a hard & heartbreaking time.

I have just been through the same thing but I had been having weekly scans from 6 weeks. Heartbeat seen at 6 weeks, had stopped by 7... I was given 3 options at that time. Wait it out, medication or d&c but was told I didn't need to make any decisions there and then.

We waited nearly 2 weeks and nothing happened and I couldn't take any more so asked for the medication. They got me in the very next day for the first part then 2 days later for the 2nd. I was steered towards the meds rather than d&c because we are under going ivf and there are risks of scarring affecting future pregnancies.

In my experience the meds were not nearly as bad as I had feared. They soften your cervix and encourage cramping. I was given pain relief (30mg codeine x2 every 4 hrs) and the meds. It took quite a while but when it happened it literally popped out and I had very little pain other than period type cramping in my tummy and back. I pray I never have to but if I was in the same position again I wouldn't hesitate to do the meds. The worst part is having to catch everything you expel in bed pans which is a little degrading but a necessary part of the process.

Back to the hospital on the 14th for follow up scan.

I'm sad that I have lost the baby as it was my first proper pregnancy in over 2yrs of trying but the emotional drain of waiting for it to happen was too much for me. Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Too excited - sorry for your loss, especially after IVF it must have been really difficult for you. Thanks for the positive story regarding meds. Thing is there are loads of stories of it being prolonged and ending up with a d&c anyway and I can't stand the thought of waiting any longer.

I guess I'll see what they say tomorrow and then make a decision (if I get one). Thanks for your help everyone xxx

Well I have to wait another week, but I've been given a choice which is good. There was slight growth in the sacs and the yolk sacs look like they have developed, so they want me to go back for another scan in a week but will do a D&C the following day, presuming a miscarriage is diagnosed. They didnt think it was viable but due to the yolk sacs developing they didnt want to diagnose a miscarriage just yet. So more waiting! Its nearly killing me :(

Oh you poor thing - the waiting is so hard. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get some good news at the end of the week. I guess one way or the other you will either be able to move forwards at the end of this week.

Look after yourself xx

I was told my 3 opinions. I wasn't in the right frame of mind and was to go back on my appointment. By then I miscarried natural. I just wanted to get away from my wedding anniversary date. Hope you get sorted x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->