Those of you with high needs babys

babz1986

Reaction score
My little boy seems to be quite high needs.. He only seems to be happy if he's feeding or sleeping lol. He's 4 months and just isn't happy when he's awake, unless he's been held or talked to constantly. He has no interest in anything else, my little girl at this age would happily play on her play mat and generally was quite happy been awake.

What I was wondering was those with high needs baby's, what's their development been like? I'm worried that he might be hindering his own development with his lack of wanting to do anything other than been talked to lol and when did your baby become less high needs?

Stalking so bumping this up for you!

My baby is high needs. He will only nap while I wear him and we bedshare at night. He also doesn't seem happy unless I'm right there with him. He's starting to tolerate his bouncy chair for 10-15 minutes at a time which is new. But my eldest was like your eldest too, he would happily lie in his gym or sit in his chair looking at toys for ages, so it's been a bit of a culture shock for me to have this demanding one bless him!

I had a very high needs baby too but just to give you hope in that now he is a very easy toddler!

Yep - this was my baby exactly at that age! I seem to remember things got a little better from around 6 months, but the real turning point for us was when she learned to crawl - she has been very independent ever since. In fact, she hates being held or carried anywhere now as she wants to do everything herself. I miss the cuddles!

I don't think it will affect LO's development, don't worry. We never did "tummy time" or anything like that when LO was younger as she would just scream and cry to be picked up, but she was right on track with all of her milestones - sitting at 6 months, crawling at 9 and first steps by 1 year. She also said her first real word (in context) at 9 months which I am sure must be down to the fact that I used to sit and talk to her for hours on end as she didn't want to do anything else!

My LO's development has been pretty normal, I think she's actually been a bit ahead of the curve as far as physical milestones go. Her first word was at 14.5 months, which is fairly average, maybe a bit on the later side... but she has an extensive vocabulary now.

I would still consider her high needs but she's at least pretty good with some independent play now. She's also very curious and smart and active. :)

That's good to hear. My son is high needs too. He seems to be doing everything early, so hopefully once he can crawl he'll be less cranky. My mom and I have decided its because he hates being a baby and wants to be able to do things.

My first was a high needs baby and still is high needs. His development has been right on target or advanced for his age.

Thomas was a high needs baby and is a high needs toddler who barely sleeps. He has Global developmental delay along with glue ear and hand problems (from a genetic abnormality).

I don't know if his high needs as a baby is connected with his GDD as I don't want to scare you.

My lo is high needs---exactly as you describe yours. . .getting better now that he is around 8 months old. He's been a little later on milestones. . .rolled over late. . .still can't roll over from back to belly (but this may be due to the fact that he hates being on his tummy!). Babies are so different that I'm not really sure it's due to the high needs that puts them behind or ahead. . .I think it's just them as individuals. :flower:

Thanks for the replies everyone!! Funnily enough his physical development is spot on if not a little early, he's physically very Strong and has been rolling from about 2 weeks, not back to front but side to side. I secretly think he'll be intelligent because all he wants to do is me talk to him, I'm pretty sure he'd love it if I sat their reading war and peace to him!.. He's also been smiling and laughing before he should and just so alert, maybe he just hates been a baby ;)

I was talking to the health visitor yesterday and she said he'd probably turn out to be a laid back toddler, who knows!? Will just have to watch this space!! Nice to hear lots of other mummy's who have high needs! It can be quite suffocating at times lol

Hi, my LO was a high needs baby and things got much better once he became mobile (crawling, walking) hang in there, it goes by fast!

Just a question. .. anyone know if there is a high needs/spirited support thread?
To answer... my LO is 15 months and is so happy, friendly... definite improvement when he couod crawl and then walk. He's got an amazing personality and he's great to be around. .. when awake! However he is still extremely high needs when it comes to sleep and I'm looking for some support. If anyone has a similar experience feel free to PM me!

Just a question. .. anyone know if there is a high needs/spirited support thread?
To answer... my LO is 15 months and is so happy, friendly... definite improvement when he couod crawl and then walk. He's got an amazing personality and he's great to be around. .. when awake! However he is still extremely high needs when it comes to sleep and I'm looking for some support. If anyone has a similar experience feel free to PM me!

My lo is mostly wonderful in the day but only sleeps 6-7 hours in a 24 period. Multiple wakings and refusal to sleep x

Fox and Willow are/were both like this. Developmental they are pretty ok. Willow is a little behind on her speech.

If its any consolation, my dd now 28 months was the best baby ever. A pure dream ... Until she turned 21 months. Now she's a demon lol. From my experience high needs babies usually grow into amazing toddlers ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->