Those who attempted a VBAC

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by buddabun, Jan 30, 2011.

?

How did your VBAC end?

1. Natural birth

2. Assisted delivery

3. C section

4. Other (please state)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. buddabun

buddabun A mummy at last!

I'm just curious as I will be pushing for a VBAC (no pun intended ;) ) this time around.

Out of those of you who tried for a VBAC, how many got a vaginal birth and how many ended up with another caesar?

And out of the vaginal births how many got what they would class as a 'natural' birth (minimal/no pain relief, no intervention) and how many were assisted (forceps, ventouse etc)?

Thanks ladies, I'm just interested to see what my chances really are here as I'm so desperate to avoid another section.

:hug:

2. RyliesMummy

RyliesMummy Mum of 2 & Pregnant

hi, popping in to see what people say as I will be attempting to have a VBAC this time around :)

3. buddabun

buddabun A mummy at last!

:wave:

The literature is all so confusing. I can find stats on scar rupture rates (less than 1%) but wanted some real experiences iykwim. I'm hoping my chances are good given the circumstances of my previous section but it's always interesting to read other people's stories!

4. RyliesMummy

RyliesMummy Mum of 2 & Pregnant

Yeah I get you. I hope my chances are good too, I had ELCS because my Lo was breech so fingers crossed I will have a sucessful VBAC!! x

5. lolababes

lolababes Well-Known Member

I have now had 3 c/s DD planned @39wk (breech), DS emcs @40wk+17 (failed VBAC/induction), LO emcs on due date (natural labour to over 9cm and pushing but losing heartrate).

I was devastated it didnt work out for me. If it is something you really want DO NOT let anyone push you into anything. I fought so bloody hard to get my VBA2C. If consultants/registrars wont listen ask to speak to the consultant midwife, I did and she was brilliant.

The risks are made out worse than they are (IMPO) I spent the whole of my pregnancy researching it, there has been new research done recently that shows the risks are not as great as thought (dont get me wrong they are there but not as thought).

ETA: I would have got my VBA2C with a forceps delivery if there hadnt been the tiniest bit of cervix left and LO has been in a slightly different position.

6. clairebear

clairebear Mummy to 2 handsome boys.

I had my Vbac 6 months ago today.

I had an emergency section with my first after a long 36 hour plus labour. Due to fetal distress and failure to progress! (i was full dilated and Jacks head was there so???)

My VBAC was amazing! 10 hours start to finish! I was 5cms before i got to the hospital and used a minimal amount of g&a. The birthing ball and walking around really helped me x

Good luck hope you all get your VBAC's x x

7. Lownthwaite

Lownthwaite 1DD and cooking #2!

I'm going to be watching this thread too.

We are discussing when to TTC number 2 and I will be hoping for a VBAC. :happydance:

8. lovealittle1

lovealittle1 Well-Known Member

Also watching this thread:flower:

9. bibswy

bibswy MUMMY OF 2!

hi.. I would love to try again after 2 sections. Glad to hear they let you try!

10. katycam

katycam Mummy to Austin

Im trying for baby number 2 and am going to be going for a vbac i think :)

11. lolababes

lolababes Well-Known Member

It took some effort on my part for them to agree but I met them half way and booked a c/s for a week after my due date partly because I didnt want to go too far over again and be induced. Just make sure they listen to you, its your choice after all and the statistics arent as bad as they make out for rupture etc.
    Im just gutted it didnt work out and I ended up with another emergency c/s :cry:

12. pigginteacher

pigginteacher Mum of 2

My experience wasn't good after 18 hours labour and reaching 9cm I ended up with another c section :( I was told that they wouldn't let me labour that long this time but they did and I felt really upset that it ended this way again. Even more annoying was when the doc said there was no way I would've given birth naturally as she was in an awkward position!! Anyway I wish you all the best ladies, if I ever have anymore I will be having a c section straight away, not going through all that again!

13. cyclura

cyclura Mother and expecting

I had the start of a uterine rupture and DSs heart rate dropped so we had to have another emcs :nope:

14. rachael872211

rachael872211 I love my little family

I had a successful VBAC. My first birth was failure to progress. My baby was back to back.

This time around, my baby turned back to back again but I didnt know this until i'd given birth to his head. I think this birth could have easily led the same way again.

My first birth I wasnt very mobile and pretty much was layed on the bed the whole labour.

I stayed mobile as much as possible and when I had the urge to push the midwife asked me to get on the bed so she could examine me. Once on the bed I kind of got routed there. I was pushing and was pushing for a while trying to get his head around "the bend" (where ever that is?) The baby was happy in all this though, his heart rate remained the same. It got to the point where I wasnt getting anywhere so the midwife asked if I could change the position and so I went to the toilet to push on there. That was a lot better, I could actually feel the baby moving down, after pushing on the toilet I went back to the bed and got on all fours and carried on pushing, and gave birth successfully vaginally.

I was told before I went into labour that I had to be continuously monitored, but my midwife didnt do that, she just monitored me after every big contraction. I think this was what made this birth a success because I was able to keep mobile. I know that you can to a certain extent with the monitors, but the wires would have stopped me moving so far, and I know I would have got fed up in the same place and just sat on the bed.

My first birth was 19 hours

My second birth was 5 hours.

I like to think that staying mobile helped.

15. Heidi

Heidi Mummy to two girls

Interesting thread, its really helpful to see everyone's experiences, i'm hoping for a VBAC next time :)

16. xpinkpandax

xpinkpandax Mummy of 2 & WTT (again)

I didn't get my vbac :( it's still really emotional for me. I can't even bring myself to watch a birthing programme. My 1st was emc-section due to fetal distress and failure to progress (head really high up was mentioned too) 2nd was another emc-section she was 8 days overdue, although this time my labour progressed well and quickly to 8.5 cm but she got distressed and there was meconium in the waters, her head too high was also mentioned again :( I was not allowed to be mobile or be in a different position on the bed....soo frustrating.