Those who workout

Js32313

Reaction score
Before I got my BFP I was working out a lot. 5-6 days a week cardio and lifting. Shortly after I found out I got the stomach flu immediately followed by a really bad chest cold/cough so i haven't worked out really in about 3 1/2 weeks. Finally got back to it yesterday. Just walked and really light toning exercises. I am super sore today. Do you get more sore in pregnancy or is it just because I have been off for a few weeks? Also what kind of exercising does everyone do?

Congrats on your BFP!!
And boo to being ill!!

Yes it will feel tough going back to training after illness as you may feel like you have been hit by a truck. Add pg hormones now in your system (tired, hungry, hot, cold, relaxin starting) and you feel like you are swimming in the wrong direction.

My best advice is grab one of the personal trainers at your gym who has studied pre and post natal exercise for a quick 'tune up'. You may be surprised to find that as a seasoned exerciser that you can carry on with your programme but with a few tweaks: these may be to your exercises or to your diet or both. You may fancy a complete overhaul and try something specifically for pg. many ladies find they love the water at this time (maybe once bump is bigger?) as you will get a complete cardio and toning workout with less stress to joints and your working heartrate whilst others keep on with their classes (bodybalance/bodyflow is one good example) but take the 'lower intensity option' and the 'pg adaptation options' you can still get a great workout with these, its just choosing options to suit your circumstance. You can still train your abs and back to the end of the first tri, you can still lift and get your cardio fix but as with all new lifestyle changes please consult a professional before starting them.
Surprise yourself at what you are still able to do but listen to your body and don't be a hero. Keep with the fluids and if something feels wrong STOP!! also ask for some new post exercise muscle stretches as your ligaments (and tendons to a point) are starting to relax so you may end up over stretching.

Happy and Healthy 9months to you xxxx

EDIT: If you are taking or have taken any supplements for pre or post training PLEASE check on the label and with a GP if they are still suitable. Some protein powders contain caffeine etc, some exercise pills contain ingredients unsuitable for pg or bfing ladies.

I regularly workout. I had a break for a couple if weeks as we did icsi.

I went back to the gym this week. I have done bodypump just with lighter weights and also some other classes too.

I would be really happy to talk to other ladies who are also carrying on excercising throughout their pregnancy as some people have kind of put me off and make out that u should just be sat with my feet up.

Everything I have read is really for excercising.

Exercising is supposed to be really good during pregnancy as long as done right. That's why I wanted to get back to it. I work out with a trainer one day a week so yesterday was my first day back. We went light. Nothing to crazy. Just super sore today. His wife just had a baby and she worked out the whole time. He said her delivery and recover went really smooth. I would like that as well as not putting on to much weight. I also have a pinched sciatic nerve and if I just lay around for months it will be unbareable at the end. I think it's really important to keep up with exercise. I am going to ask my doc at my appointment this week about things I do and how to adjust. Also what is off limits. I want to make sure I am safe. He did tell me to get back to working out when I talked to him last week when i was still sick so he is all for it.

I do! :) I ride my horse 6 days a week and go to gym 3/4 times a week. I even do Boot Camp while at gym, just try to stay away a bit from intense ab work.

I have always exercised through my pregnancies and yes, in the beginning i do get a bit more tired but it pays off in the end. During second tri you have even more energy, and towards the end you feel like you are prepping for the birth.

I am sure you got sore from being off for a while. Soon you will be back to normal.:)
Have fun!!!

Hi

I'm just back from morning workout session. I feel great but my boobs did not like any movement today. Ouch!

I am really glad I found this thread

I can't wait to get back to working out more normally with a few modifications. Going to talk to my doc on Thursday to come up with a plan. I have been super anxious. I am hoping it will help with that too besides just staying healthier. Just getting back into it since being so sick plus still having some nausea here and there.

Before pregnancy, I worked out on and off. We have some equipment at home so no need to go out to the gym. I just started again right before I found out I was pregnant. I am going to change my routine a little but i plan to exercise throughout the next 9 months. I can't wait for the nice weather so I can do walks outside! Being pregnant for the first time - I read a lot on different pregnancy stuff. I read that exercise will help when it comes to labor AND if you are going without an epidural it will have you in better shape for that process (which i plan on doing-no epi).

As long as what you are doing is safe for you and baby then keep it up. It will only help in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->