thrombophelia screening... what is it?

Discussion in 'Your Health & Wellbeing' started by tootsy1987, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tootsy1987

tootsy1987 Abbi and Alfie - My World

when i was at my :witch: of a doctor thismorning, i mentioned i have had cramping on and off down one leg, she asked if i had had thrombophelia screening... i know its something to do with blood clots but does it tell you your chance of getting them or something? she has me worried i have a blood clot or something! xxxxx

2. tootsy1987

tootsy1987 Abbi and Alfie - My World

3. trainingdoc

trainingdoc Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm training to be a doctor, so can give you a little info, and hoepfully won't be as scary as the "witch".

Thrombophilia is a higher than normal tendency to form clots. A thrombophilia screen is blood testing to see if you have any of the main things which can cause this.

Since pregnancy itself is a risk for clotting, if you have a family history of clotting problems, or you show signs of it yourself, they may want you to have a screening test so they can work out whether you are high risk and need either medication to prevent clotting, or more attention during your pregnancy to keep you and baby safe.

Hope this has been a help, and I'm happy to answer any other questions you have on it.