Throwing food on floor

Diannam

Reaction score
Just looking for ideas on how to deal with it. At the moment I am just ignoring it for the most part. I assume it's very normal. I have begun saying no, my baby unfortunately thinks it's funny when I say no. He is 11 months old. He is mostly picking the food he would rather not eat to throw, but sometimes the things he enjoys as well.

My LO just started doing this as well, I just ignore it. If she continues to do it instead of eating then meal time is over once all the food has been throw away. If she alternates between eating and throwing it on the floor then I give her more until she isn't eating anymore. Sure it makes a mess, but I figure it is just a phase and she is just learning and experimenting. I think making a big deal out of it will just encourage her to do it more. We have a dog so clean up isn't a big deal, lol.

I covered the floor with a cheap shower curtain, which we wiped up and then threw out every week or so when it got too gross. That helped contain the mess. In terms of discouraging it, I found only giving one or two things on the tray at once, rather than like, a whole plate helped. Otherwise, just pick it up and put it back. At 11 months, it's just a toy and you encourage him to throw other things around, so they really can't differentiate. As he gets older, you can be more strict about it (for us, that was from about 2), but for now, just contain the mess and give him less at one time to chuck around.

My LO also loves to throw toys and things out of her crib and watching them fall to the floor. She is just learning, much the same as when she throws food on the floor. She likes to lean over and watch it fall and then stare at it on the floor for a while. Sometimes when she eats she always throws the same food item on the floor, like if she has some toast fingers and some banana slices she will just keep throwing the toast on the floor but not the banana. So I just stop giving her toast and will find something else for her instead and sometimes that stops the food throwing.

Gracie also throws things too. She was 1 last month. I also just give her a few things at a time (we don't use a plate, she throws the plate if we do!) she also deliberately calls the dog over by making a clicking noise then hand feeds him stuff! I'm hoping it is just a phase, we just ignore.

Thanks everyone. The amount of food definitely influences if it gets thrown to a degree. I'm also dealing with a baby who is developing preferences. Unfortunately he is pulling food he doesn't like out of his mouth too and throwing it. I wish I had a dog for mealtimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->