Thrush treatment!

maxbean

Reaction score
Hi All! I need some advice please! My LO is 5 weeks now and has oral thrush, white on the tongue etc, and I am finding it really hard to feed him as it hurts so muc. He was prescribed the Nystatin (sp) and we have been giving him that for 3 days now, but everytime he has it, whether its after or before feeding, he is really sick and continues to be for hours after, so he isn't keeping much of his food down at all! Also, teh doc prescribed me actual thrush cream, the Canesten and said to rub it on my nipples. I did ask if i was still ok to breastfeed and he said yes, but looking onthe instructions it says clearly if it is accidentally swallowed contact a doctor immediately??????
Really don't know what to do cos the only way i can feed him at the mo is by expressing and giving it him a bottle and we're still really suffering!
:nope:

Me and my LO had thrush and he had nystatin after each feed (put some on your little finger and rub it on his tongue, all around inside his mouth, stop him chocking and swallowing too much, might help with the vomiting) and thrush cream for my nipples after a feed, it won't harm the LO. The thrush ended up in my milk ducks (SO painful!) and I needed fluconazole orally, which eventually sorted it out!

Keep treating it as it'll only get worse on its own :)

The breast feeding network has good info on thrush...

https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

I dont' have much to add, Candy covered it. I would just like to encourage you to keep going with the treatment and bf... it's so worth it when you come out the other side :thumbup:

We have thrush again, my LO is on Daktarin oral gel, dont forget you will need treating even if you have no symptoms otherwise you will pass the thrush back and forth between you and baby.

Also change breast pads frequently as the sweet breast milk allows the thrush to thrive.

We have thrush again, my LO is on Daktarin oral gel, dont forget you will need treating even if you have no symptoms otherwise you will pass the thrush back and forth between you and baby.

Also change breast pads frequently as the sweet breast milk allows the thrush to thrive.

Emma's on nystatin too and it also makes her spit up. I was given nystatin cream also and the doctor didn't say I have to wash it off first. Might be worth looking into if you are concerned about the canestan :shrug:

I know with the Dakarin cream I have to wash this off before I feed Noah.

I don't know how right it is but We have had thrush twice in the past 4 months. I use daktarin oral gel and I put it on my nipples right before feeding, so she sucks it off curing her thrush and I don't get it or if I do it dissapears pretty quickly, both times we have had it it has been gone within 24 hours of using the gel so it works for us

The doctor offered me the oral stuff for my boobies too- I was a little concerned about all the sugar in it making me extra sticky iykwim :) Sounds like there are lots of different treatments out there!

I have a cream for boobs I never thought of using the gel on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->