thrush

marley2580

Reaction score
Well I've still got really sore nipples, though I'm now used to the pain, and I'm starting to think that I may have thrush. Kaya has a white coating on her tongue and can be quite figety on the breast, she's also very windy. I am sore when she first latches on, sore for an hour or two after, my nipples are really sensitive to touch and they are also really pink but sometimes the tips of them seem to be almost white. Does this sound like thrush?

If it is how quickly does it need to be treated? Obviously with christmas etc it's going to be really hard to see a doctor over the next fortnight.

I'm not sure how it is treated etc but my HV asked on second visit last week how long ago had she had bottle and thought she may have thrush as she had white coating on tongue at same time I didn't think she winded very good and had alot of wind as it was suggested on here luke warm water cooled down from boiled water - we did this anyway and the white coating went so it can't have been thrush. Just an idea for her tongue anyway to see.

:D

Hi! Sounds like it could be thrush hun. The symptoms of thrush in that area are:

When the baby latches on you experience the sort of pain that makes your toes curl and your eyes water. This becomes progressively more acute with each subsequent re-latching, but subsides during the actual feed itself.

Shooting, stabbing pains (much the same as the pain you get if you have sensitive teeth) can be felt in the breasts for up to two hours after each feed.

Nipples that are very sensitive to the cold and, unless wrapped up warmly, you'll experience similar shooting, stabbing pains every time you set foot out the door.

Water from a shower makes your nipples extremely sore and sensitive.

Your nipples may well be itchy, you may have what look like tiny pinhead blisters and, immediately after a feed, your nipples will look bright red, shiny and/or soggy-looking.

Cracked nipples that will not heal.

The doctor should give u an anti-fungal cream and also something for your bubs. I guess u should get it treated as soon as you can, but like u say can be difficult over xmas period..would u be able to ask ur MW/HV? Hope u feel better soon! X

OH was in the town doing last minute shopping today so I got him to ask a pharmasist for some advice. They've advised phoning the doctors on monday morning and speaking to a HV to get some drops for Kaya and maybe a cream for me. Mine doesn't work mondays but there should be someone in.

Lucy and I both had it, she got drops to put in her mouth and I got daktarin (sp) cream for it.

I never even noticed I had it (due many other breast probs lol) but HV noticed cause of Lucy's white tongue!

It cleared up really quick tho. definitley get to the Dr's hun x

You should be able to see a doctor on Monday! try to get an emergency appointment maybe? good luck and sorry I can't be of more help. Bethanie had a bit of thrush and it was pretty easy to treat with some cream.

Juleika has the white coating on her tongue as well, and it there are even some blueish dots.

we saw the HV on friday and she said it doesn't look like trush as then she would have white spots on the inside of her cheeks as well and it would affect her bum with a red dotish rush.

if you put your finger underneath her lips she will open her mouth and you can check her cheeks.

musn't be trush, but I would def see your GP on monday if possible.

we are giving Juleika cooled down boiled water for her coated tongue as well and are trying to get the coating off with a flanell what we sterilised beforehand.

it is getting slightly better.

ouch,thrush on boobs is not nice.I had it twice with Seren, and it wasso sore but quickly went after getting treatment

we saw the HV on friday and she said it doesn't look like trush as then she would have white spots on the inside of her cheeks as well and it would affect her bum with a red dotish rush.

the thing with thrush is that it doesn't always have the physical sigs, so baby might not have the white coating but still have the thrush fugus in their mouth. They can develop a rash on their bum but it doesn't always happen, Seren only ever got it in her mouth. same with mum, there isn't always physical signs and I had to really argue with a Dr at one point to get treatmet, he refused as i had no physical signs but I knew it was thrush and suprisingly after getting the cream it went. Bloomin Dr

I would get it seen to asap, and makesure both you ad baby get treated otherwiseyou just keeppassing it back and forth.

thisis also useful
Thrush is a fungal infection (candida albicans) which thrives on broken skin and in warm, moist conditions. It can be passed between mother and baby, and can often be triggered by antibiotic use in mother or baby. It can also occur after damage to the nipple.
You may have thrush if you experience:
  • a sudden start of breast and/or nipple pain after days or weeks of pain-free breastfeeding – the nipple may also be itchy or super-sensitive
  • shooting pains in the breast after feeding
  • cracked nipples which don’t heal
  • nipples which are unusually red or pale, shiny or flaky in appearance
  • pain in both breasts (except in the very early stages) because the baby transfers the infection
Your baby may:
  • have a white coating on his tongue, gums, and inner cheeks which doesn’t rub off
  • seem unhappy or uncomfortable feeding (this may be because the baby’s mouth is sore)
  • have more wind than usual and be difficult to settle
  • have nappy rash which is difficult to heal
Either mother or baby may have thrush without showing any symptoms; however, both will always need to be treated to solve the problem.
[h3]Other possible causes[/h3]
It’s easy to confuse the symptoms of thrush with other problems. Make sure painful feeding isn’t caused by poor attachment by asking your midwife, health visitor or breastfeeding counsellor to watch you feeding. Other possible causes of pain include eczema, tongue-tie in the baby, white spot or bleb, and bacterial infection (this may be present at the same time as thrush).
[h3]Treatment[/h3]
Thrush will need anti-fungal treatment prescribed by your doctor. Both you and your baby will need treatment at the same time. This will usually involve a cream for you to apply to your nipples and a gel to apply to the baby’s mouth. If you have pain deep within your breasts which goes on for a long time, you may need a different medication which is taken orally. Pain generally begins to ease after three days. If you also have vaginal thrush, your partner should be treated as well.
At the same time, you will need to take a number of self-help measures.
  • If you have expressed milk and stored it while you or your baby had thrush, throw it away. It could cause re-infection.
  • If your baby is also sucking on a dummy, bottle teat, nipple shield or plastic toys, make sure these are carefully washed and sterilised (boiling for 20 minutes is a good method).
  • Thrush spores can survive the low temperature cycles used in most modern washing machines. Put your bras through a very hot or boil wash if possible and avoid breast pads. Use a separate towel for each member of the family to avoid cross-infection.
  • Acidophilus capsules can help restore the body's normal bacteria which help to keep thrush under control (these are destroyed by antibiotics, which may be why thrush is linked to antibiotic use).
  • from https://www.breastfedbabies.org/article.aspx?aId=22
it is important to get it treated asap, otherwise it could spread into your milk ducts and this means a diferent type of treatment.

hope it clears up soon

hmmm? I do not have any problems with my breast or nipples and Juleika is feeding well, although the coating does not rub off???

hope we do not have trush!!!

thx beanie for your info :hi:

as the coating didn't rub off altough we gave water and tried to rub it off with a flanell we finally went to see the GP last friday.

she diagnosed trush straight away and gave us a prescription.

cool glad you got it sorted, hope it clears up quickly :)

We got stuff last week for the thrush, but although a lot of the pain in my nipples has gone, they are still a little sore and pink. Also Kaya's tongue is as white as ever. I've got my 6 week check up tomorrow so I'm going to ask the doctor about it.

yes, Juleika's tongue is also as white as ever :hissy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->