Thumb sucking at 4.5

Minstermind

Reaction score
My friend has a 4 1/2 year old boy and is not concerned, per se, but sensitive to the fact that he's still very much attached to his teddy bear and still sucks his thumb, particularly when he's holding his teddy bear. She's not going to force him to stop either thing because she's uncomfortable with the idea of doing that to a child, but at the same time, wishes he would grow out of it already. She and her husband now try to encourage him to just have his teddy bear at night when he's in bed, and less so during the day.

I was just curious if anyone else here had a similar experience, or had any opinion on the matter, for or against, and what are your thoughts?

I personally sucked my thumb until I was nearly 7. My parents tried everything to get me to quit (clear fingernail polish on my thumb to make it taste bad, socks on my hands etc..). One day, I just stopped. I know it isn't great for the kid, but how many 30 year olds do you know that still suck there thumb. He'll quit eventually (when he's ready). :)

Thanks ladypotter! I thought I might have to try a different forum on here altogether to get a reply, lol... it does seem, from what I have read about it, to be very common and something most kids grow out of on their own. I've talked with my friend since then and she said she's actually alright with the act itself, just was worried a bit at times when someone mentioned that her son might have dental issues as a result. It's funny, the little things we come across as parents and have to think about, that never crossed our minds before!

Yeah, my teeth were fine...I needed braces, but that was more genetic than anything else!! :)

My daughter has sucked her thumb, since she was 1, she is now 5/half and still does it, she never took to a dummy, and she will only suck her thumb when she is tired, she has had a few blisters on her thumb befor which was worrying but was told at that age not a lot you can do about it, it has got better, where as when she was younger she would thumb suck most of the time, its now only at bedtimes really, have noticed tho her thumb is really dried out, im sure one is gunna be bigger then the other lol

x

Not to worry any one or anything but sometimes it gets into a really bad habit that's hard to break I think more than likely if they have a good childhood and what not that he will grow out of it but i'm 17 and still suck my thumb and I've tried to stop and others have done everything they could think of to make me stop when i was little but none of it ever worked. I currently have braces and about to get them off and still haven't stopped but i did have a pretty unpleasant child hood which may be why i'm still doing it because its comforting and i feel as if i'm safe but i wish i knew how to stop. It's really embarrassing especially when i moved in with my bf I thought he would just hate it and kinda wishing he would to give me a reason to try. But it could last a long time. It's only at night or when i'm really down and none of my family even know about. But habits are hard to break.

im 18 and still suck my thumb.. i dont see anything bad about it! Its not harming anyone and by the time he is old enough for other kids to notice i guarantee he wont do it around other people anymore. Most kids grow out of it but i dont think u can force anyone to stop, i do it automatically when im tired and even tho i get a bit of stick about it from my family everyone is used to it and it hasnt been a problem, i have never needed braces either :) x

my dd only started thumb sucking when she was 4.5 - 4 years on and she is still at it, mailny in bed or when she is tired though

im 18 and still suck my thumb.. i dont see anything bad about it! Its not harming anyone and by the time he is old enough for other kids to notice i guarantee he wont do it around other people anymore. Most kids grow out of it but i dont think u can force anyone to stop, i do it automatically when im tired and even tho i get a bit of stick about it from my family everyone is used to it and it hasnt been a problem, i have never needed braces either :) x

I'm 19 and I still do too.
I only do it when I'm tired too. My parents never gave me a dummy and never tried to stop me doing it :( Wish they had though.
I get stick of my OH for it but I literally cannot help it.

Wow, I never realized it could be so common with adults. Thanks for sharing your stories about it. It seems to be strongly associated with comfort from what I'm reading. I feel that way when I am in bed and totally under the covers, head and all, like I have temporarily tuned out the world and I'm in my little crab shell. I know it's not the same thing but I can relate in the sense of doing something that brings comfort. :)

Yeah its definately a comfort thing. I literally cant sleep if I dont do it. And its just an automatic thing. I never do it in front of anyone but my OH. Its a bit embarressing but its not a MAJOR issue tbh! xx

My OH sucked his thumb till he was 19...looked really funny but 1 day he jus stopped, my sister also did till she was about 6-7 my mum tried everything but nothing worked till 1day she just stopped also, so i wouldnt worry to much there will just be the day when its cracked and you wont even notice at first..some take longer than others but he isnt the only 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->