Thyroid ladies or anyone who has to take medication on an empty stomach

Peanutt

Reaction score
I was always told to take my thyroid med 45 min before breakfast because I need to take it on an empty stomach. I'm only 4w 3d and this is my first preg. This morning I got a little queasy until I ate.
If I get full blown MS, how do I take a medication on an empty stomach because won't that make you throw up?

My ms didn't get too bad this time, so I was ok taking it on an empty stomach. If up it gets bad , you can switch to taking it at night, at least 2-4 hrs after eating. If u end up having to take it with food, make sure it's something bland that won't interfere a lot with absorption. Also, make sure they're checking your levels frequently, at least every 4 wks.

I take mine during one of my trips to pee in the middle of the night, because yes I have to eat as soon as I'm up for the day or it's bad news.

Hmm..I've been taking my thyroid medication for more than 14 years now, but never heard anything about taking them on an empty stomach. What I have heard is that you can't take any other medication at the same time, you'll have to wait like an hour or so.

Like the other ladies already told you, if you do get a bad morning sickness, taking the medication at night is a good tip. :thumbup:

And be sure to check your levels frequently. :)

Millhaven,

My endocrinologist had told me that different foods cause the medication to absorb differently so to get a consistent dosage, he recommended to take it on an empty stomach. If you are taking a low dose, it may not matter as much. I've had hypothyroid sine I was 8 so now I take .150mcg. Not sure it goes much higher without having to take two pills.

Millhaven,

My endocrinologist had told me that different foods cause the medication to absorb differently so to get a consistent dosage, he recommended to take it on an empty stomach. If you are taking a low dose, it may not matter as much. I've had hypothyroid sine I was 8 so now I take .150mcg. Not sure it goes much higher without having to take two pills.

Ah, I see. :) Didn't know you have had it since you were 8 (I was around your age, 9-10 when I got my diagnose).

I take .075mcg but usually take it as soon as I wake up. Then I eat afterwards. My levels are good, so it probably doesn't matter too much in my case. But it's good to know anyway!

I also take the 75. And I was also told it must be on an empty stomach, at least a half hour before eating.
I've only had it for less than a year. Everyone I know that takes it has told me the same thing "make sure you're taking it on an empty stomach!"
I was also worried about being sick and doing that bc I get horrendous morning sickness, but so far the middle night/early morning is working.

I also take the 75. And I was also told it must be on an empty stomach, at least a half hour before eating.
I've only had it for less than a year. Everyone I know that takes it has told me the same thing "make sure you're taking it on an empty stomach!"
I was also worried about being sick and doing that bc I get horrendous morning sickness, but so far the middle night/early morning is working.

Wow, that's odd...I wonder why my doctors never told me about that...

Here in Sweden we have a phone number/website which we can go to if we need help regarding health. Only doctors and nurses work there. According to them, my medication (for hypothyroid) can be taken on an empty stomach or if you've eaten - just as long as you have the same routine every day.

Anyhow, it's good to know anyway, I've never heard it. :)

Sorry for OT. :blush:

Wow, that's odd...I wonder why my doctors never told me about that...

Here in Sweden we have a phone number/website which we can go to if we need help regarding health. Only doctors and nurses work there. According to them, my medication (for hypothyroid) can be taken on an empty stomach or if you've eaten - just as long as you have the same routine every day.

Anyho, it's good to know anyway, I've never heard it. :)

Sorry for OT. :blush:

I consider myself a veteran of thyroidism and I didn't learn about this until last year. Sometimes it's just a small thought that the doctor forgot to mention.

That's interesting you didn't know about that. If I take my medicine and eat too soon afterward or take it after I've eaten, it actually makes me vomit. My pill bottle says to wait like 4 hours to eat anything with iron or calcium (which almost everything has one or both) but I got it down to an hour. Luckily, I don't have morning sickness ... So I just keep taking my pills when I get up and then wait an hour to eat.

My problem is pregnancy is messing with my thyroid numbers and I think I am going to have to keep checking it regularly and have my dosage monitored. I have always been a 1.9 and now it's down to 1.3 but that was like 4 weeks ago. Hope it doesn't make me go hyper instead of hypo.

That's interesting you didn't know about that. If I take my medicine and eat too soon afterward or take it after I've eaten, it actually makes me vomit. My pill bottle says to wait like 4 hours to eat anything with iron or calcium (which almost everything has one or both) but I got it down to an hour. Luckily, I don't have morning sickness ... So I just keep taking my pills when I get up and then wait an hour to eat.

My problem is pregnancy is messing with my thyroid numbers and I think I am going to have to keep checking it regularly and have my dosage monitored. I have always been a 1.9 and now it's down to 1.3 but that was like 4 weeks ago. Hope it doesn't make me go hyper instead of hypo.

Mine was in the normal range but already at 4w4d I got a little hyperthyroid so they're adjusting it. They say to check every three months but I'm going to ask for monthly.

I'm at 0.49 and was at 0.37. My RE says it's ok to be overcorrected as long as I'm not having hyper symptoms. At 0.27 I did start having symptoms and she lowered my dose. So pregnancy is raising my numbers a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->