Thyroid

apreslaube

Reaction score
So I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis today :nope: (after YEARS of issues). It does a lot of stuff to the body and can cause major problems with pregnancy if not under control. Do any of you have the disease? If you have had a baby with it, do you have any lifestyle tips? I want to get this under control before we start trying, but I am unable to go to the doctor as I am out of allowed visits for the year. Thanks!

Hi apreslaube,
I have hypothyroid caused by Hashimoto's. This is something that has to be VERY closely monitored. Especially when first diagnosed and when TTC. I go to an endocrinologist who monitors my labs (mainly TSH level and vitamin D level). She didn't even allow me to start TTC until my TSH was UNDER 2. If you get pregnant when it is high, it can cause birth defects and miscarraige. Sometimes it can take months for your TSH levels to return to normal and for them to get your synthroid dose correct. You really need to find an endocrinologist. It is possible to get pregnant/carry a pregnancy with this diagnosis, but it has to be monitored. Hope this helps!

I fell pregnant not knowing that I had hypothyroidism. It was subclinical, my TSH was 6.9 but T4/T3 levels were normal.

Nobody actually put me on Oroxine until I was 32 weeks pregnant. I didn't know at the time how important it is to have your thyroid under control especially in the first 3 months of your pregnancy as baby doesn't have their own thyroid so they rely on yours.

My new GP was disgusted that no one had managed my TSH up until 32 weeks, they 'monitored it' though. Next time I fall pregnant, she wants to see me ASAP to make sure my levels are optimal for pregnancy.

After all that though, I have a very healthy son who is now 15 months old. No birth defects or slow learning etc that we can see as of yet. He has actually done most things quite early (eg, crawling, walking etc). So I am happy to say, that my unmanaged thyroid for most of my pregnancy didn't cause too much of an issue with him, not to say that would be the case for everyone. It's always best to make sure you are taking your correct dose to keep your thyroid in an optimal range.

Hey there, I have had thyroid monitoring for almost 2 years now and my Endo never requested a Hashi's test, just said that based on my fluctuating numbers, symptoms, family history, and goiter that I will most likely have it. Well, I found a new GP and he requested the Antibody test and found out I am positive for HT. I have had 5 CP in a year, and am worried as well for when we move from NTNP to TTC in June. I see my Endo on monday for updated ultrasound on my goiter.

I don't have any advice for you, except to take what the doctors say with a grain of salt and fully understand everything they are saying to you. I did a ton of research and it's all finally starting to fall into place now, to the point where I may switch Endo's. Also, in addition to medication, a healthy lifestyle is imperative.

I developed post partum thyroiditis 6 months after my daughter was born. I was actually very very sick with this as I ignored most of my symptoms for 2 months as I put them all down to being a new mum, tired, weight gain etc. finally very ill and could barely go to the toilet without needing a nap after I went to the doc!

That was a year ago, I now have hasimotos hypothyroidism and we started TTC last October. I was under an endo and am taking a high dose of thyroxine which is closely monitored and reviewed for TTC purposes. Like pp have said, this is important and it's good that you have a diagnosis before TTC. Other than that a healthy lifestyle, good balanced diet, exercise I find helps me enormously and a good nights sleep. For me I find sleep deprivation harder now than I use to. I have no idea if this is due to hypothyroidism or not, but I Have read others with hypothyroidism say that they don't manage as well with less sleep, so that is something to consider with a newborn! make sure you get your naps and have support so you get adequate sleep!

I have had a misscarriage since TTC No 2, but I not the docs think that's due to my thyroid problem as it's very well controlled. Most likely it was chromosomal, so once well controlled TTC and pregnancy should not be a problem. My mum had me with hasimotos and I have many friends who have had children with it too. Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->