"Tilted" Uterus

JJandBellaMum

Mother of 2
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Had to have an early scan today due to brown spotting last friday. Anyways, the sonographer said that my uterus is really 'tilted' and didn't actually find the baby until the end of the scan.

I'm supposed to be 8 weeks tomorrow, but she said that the baby only measured 6 weeks and she thought she could see the flickering of baby's heart.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had had a tilted uterus and found that it made getting ultrasound images difficult, or put their dates back almost 2 weeks?

Was this not mentioned with previous children?

I have a retroverted uterus hun here is some info:

https://www.womens-health.co.uk/retrover.asp

No, my last two pregnancies were fine, besides my daughter weighing 11lbs 3 oz at birth - don't know if this could have caused it?

I wouldn't have thought so but I am no expert xx

Hi i have a tilted womb too !! They noticed it with my first pregnancy and it just means baby can hide further back ! Dont know about it affecting the size or dates of baby xx

I too have a tilted uterus! It also did make my skin pretty difficult to see because my baby was so tucked away in there . He had to look really really low on my tummy to see the baby, when he said it usually can be seen higher. Also, i was put back a week and a few days. Everything you say matches up!

I've got to go back for another scan on the 11th April so hopefully everything will be a lot clearer, i know when i ovulated and when i got my first BFP so i didn't think there could be any discrepancies in my due date, and hubby was only home for a couple of days when i got pregnant ...

I'm going to try and stay positive , at least she was able to see a baby

I have a tilted uterus. My widwife told me it would make no difference to my pregnancy at all, I had an internal u/s a few days ago and they managed to see everything perfectly x

I also have an inverted uterus. So far it has only been a problem when I had to have a CVS test with my last pregnancy. The doctor was able to do it, but he said it was just more difficult to get to everything when the uterus is like that. That was my first pregnancy and we lost the baby at 16 weeks. I had a d&e and didn't dilate any when they did the procedure to get me to dilate. Hurt all night long but nothing. Now I'm 5w3d pregnant, and it's got me wondering if I'll have to have a C-section this time. I'd rather give birth naturally, but I guess if that's the worst of it that's pretty good!

I would just to to add that i have got a tilted uterus and they struggled to find anything at first and then gave me an internal u/s.
I was 6+2 on my first u/s and they only found the sac and yolk so they said come back a week later at 7+2.
They then found the embryo and a heart beat and measured it at 6+3, so they dated it 8 days behind my dates!
I know they struggled to find anything at first and they did say that was the reason.
They also said that it could be measuring behind because i might of ovulated later and it of been a late/slow implanter, so it all adds up.
It is really worrying though!
:wacko:

Thanks Laniloos for your reply - I've been talking to some friends who have gone through the same thing and they all said that the sonographer found it difficult, at first, to find baby when they had early scans too.

And I also remembered that when i had my first scan with my daughter, at about 10 weeks, they put her dates back almost two weeks too - even though she went on to weigh 11lbs 3 oz at birth... lol

I've got one too. I had an early scan (internal) at 6w due to bleeding. They measured me as 5+6 which would be right going by my ovulation date.

I've been stressing ever since wishing my life away to 12 weeks. So many of you talk about being behind at 12 weeks. Christ that's all I need :wacko:

Esp since I've heard it harder to locate baby & heartbeat so I go & punish myself by buying a Doppler - of course I can't find the heartbeat:dohh:

Hi Hun I also have a tilted uterus with my first I had to have an internal ultrasound and they put me back a week but he arrived dead on his due date so it's not nesecarily baby's growing slowly maybe u might have dates mixed up a bit, once the baby starts to get bigger it will flip itself back to normal it won't cause any harm it will just be comfier for baby lol don't stress yourself out about it Hun a tilted uterus is more common than u think but it's not something us women bring up in convosation lol xxx

I have a tilted uterus. There were no problems with my first baby but my second was measuring 3 weeks behind at the time :\

I have a tipped uterus as well. With my last pregnancy they could never get the heart beat from the doppler nor see the baby by sonogram on my belly. They kept doing internal scans up until wk 20. All the internal scans showed baby and heartbeat fine.

This pregnancy I STILL have the tipped uterus and again, baby is LITERALLY near my bum. I know it's the same because I get lower back cramps where the uterus is growing. It makes sense since the back area is where the baby is located.

It's normal not to see the baby with regular scans or with the doppler when you have a tipped uterus. The most effective way is to do internal scans. This time though in my pregnancy, the Dr.'s have gotten the baby with a regular scan by literally pressing near my lower pelvic bone. The picture quality isn't that great, but we see baby and hear the heartbeat.

I'm told that usually in the last trimester the uterus "usually" tips back forward. Mine didn't and I'm assuming it could be because I had my son preterm. My loss wasn't due to the tipped uterus though, more likely due to PTL and IC. So you shouldn't worry about that.

It very well could be that your last 11lb baby caused your uterus to tip back. I'd think come 3rd trimester sometime it may fall back into place again. Watch and see. :thumbup:

Thank you everyone for your posts!!

I've been googling it since yesterday, and i've read a lot of stories saying that the tilted uterus just makes it more difficult to get a good image of baby.

I was tempted to pay for a private early scan (costs £99 in Newcastle) for next thursday as waiting til 11th April - i think i might go a bit insane, but i'm going to see if i can hold out, as the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I'm also sure that my daughter caused the tilted uterus lol as since i had her, my periods have also been more painful, and i have had a lot of back pain, I also have really bad back pain with this pregnancy.

Hi I have a tilted uterus and had to have an internal scan at my dating appointment.

At the time I thought I was 11+1 and they measured at 11+5 so actually put me forward 4 days. The sonographer said that the tilted uterus was nothing to worry about and that as everything grows it will even out.

I've ready that your uterus can change position throughout your life for a number of reasons - but don't worry it. xx

p.s. I can find the heartbeat with a doppler, but sometimes have to try for a while and it is pretty quiet, like it is further back, but it's definitely there.

Hi, I had my first scan a few weeks ago thinking I was 12 weeks this is my first pregnancy and during the scan they told me I also had a tilted uterus, she said that it will cause no complications to the baby / pregnancy or birth than a normal forward uterus. The only difference is that they find it harder to see the baby during a scan as it is further away, she asked me to almost empty my bladder so that she could get closer and they also put me back a week. I dont think it is anything to worry about (well thats what they led me to believe anyway?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->