Time off during first trimester, risk of 3rd miscarriage

Felix26

Trying for our 1st baby!!
Reaction score
So I'm not quite pregnant yet, but trying for our 1st baby, after 2 miscarriages. I've been thinking about taking the whole first trimester off work (I work as a carer, although I would get less heavy duties it is still very busy, alot of bending, and I can feel the pressure in my stomach)
Now I don't know what the causes of my miscarriages was, but it could possibly be because of work, so I was planning to ask the doctor for a sick note when the time comes, I don't even know if the doctor will go with this, but my biggest fear is another miscarriage. At least if I have another one, I know I'd have done my best to prevent it.
Just wanted to get everyones views on this?xx

It depends on the doctor as I know someone won't sign you off for that and will say its just an unfortunate coincidence until after you had 3 miscarriages then you'll get testing. Sorry to be a downer but I want to be realistic with you. After that you'll find doctors more or less bend over backwards. We live in a very strange society and I think the NHS let a lot of people down, but I guess they hate to waste resources. It might be different in Wales to England though.

If you strongly feel you need the the time off tell your doctor you are nauseated and exhausted they will sign you off for that.

I think they might be more likely to first say you need to be put on different duties at work. That mean you do no lifting or whatever. If you got bad morning sickness you can be signed off for that but they'd probably do it a week at a time.

I know someone on another forum who had been signed off for the first tri due to previous miscarriages & her dr said she needs no stress, so I think it's all going to come down to you & your dr.

Thanks all for your replies, will just see what happens then when the time comes, just forward planning at the moment. Good luck in your pregnancys xx

My mum didn't work for the entire pregnancy with both of us as she had recurrent miscarriages!
What I would say is that (as someone who has also lost two babies) it is highly unlikely to be to do with work - chromosomal abnormalities, physiological problems or hormonal/blood issues are all far more likely - I know you know all this already!
That being said, I understand that you want to give this baby every chance, and I would probably do the same in your situation.
Anxiety is a genuine reason to be signed off work - you are so consumed with worry you can't focus, etc ....

My mum didn't work for the entire pregnancy with both of us as she had recurrent miscarriages!
What I would say is that (as someone who has also lost two babies) it is highly unlikely to be to do with work - chromosomal abnormalities, physiological problems or hormonal/blood issues are all far more likely - I know you know all this already!
That being said, I understand that you want to give this baby every chance, and I would probably do the same in your situation.
Anxiety is a genuine reason to be signed off work - you are so consumed with worry you can't focus, etc ....

Thats what I thought, the care home I work in is sooo sooo busy, its manic!! Like you said I would want to give my next pregnancy every chance x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->