Time sensitive HELP for those who have had HSGs

beemeck

Full time mommy
Reaction score
so... I have yet another question about my (hopefully) upcoming HSG - bear with me as the situation is slightly complicated.

I was ordered an HSG by my doc on CD 9 of last cycle. So I had a long wait until my next CD 1 but the hope of upcoming answers has kept me going. Today is CD 1 so I called to schedule. the first question was how long my flow is. i said 5 days with 2 days of spotting. she said it needs to be done after all spotting has stopped but cannot be done after CD10 as the uterine lining begins to build back up. So that left day 8,9 and 10. well 9 and 10 are a weekend and day 8 the PA who does the HSG is off and no docs are available.

she wanted me to wait until next month. we all know that in ttc time, that's like a lifetime. I asked why I needed to be totally done bleeding and she said because even if you're bleeding there is a chance you could be pregnant? I really don't understand it... if that's the case, I could bleed and still be pregnant on day 10??? I asked if I could do an earlier day and take a pregnancy test there so they know i'm not. she said she would call the doc and ask.

the doc never got back to her so she made a deal with me. she put me in for next week but I'm supposed to call that morning if I'm still bleeding at all to cancel. I just swear that I've heard of other women talk about having their HSGs done while they were still bleeding a bit?

my question is - has anyone been spotting the day of their HSG? I know I will be the day she scheduled me and I don't want to cancel. if it were unsafe or something like that, I wouldn't dream of it. but I know I'm not pregnant and her reasoning just wasn't making sense to me....

so please, can anyone help?

I had mine on day 6 while still spotting. I actually had zero notice about the procedure. My RE had time to do it immediately after my initial consultation appointment, which happened to be day 6. RE said spotting was not a problem.

And I don't know what she was talking about regarding possibly being pregnant as a reason for not doing it while spotting (but fine afterwards)...make no sense to me! I hope it works out for you!

I hate my old dr in Alberta! He did mine on day 23, five days after I ovulated and never even mentioned anything about being pregnant or issues with blood or uterine lining. Both my Lap and my HSG were done wither right before my period or when I started my period.

If anyone has Dr Azer in Alberta .... go somewhere else!

Oh wow I guess it's hard to find a happy medium. Mine seem so strict and yours seemed almost careless ! Just another perk of ttc....(insert sarcasm here)

I just had to take a test the day mine was scheduled to make sure I wasn't pregnant. With that being negative there were no other worries from the doctor.

I did mine on day 9 and I usually bled until day 8. Spotting was fine for them, just did a pregnancy test that morning. (Possibly a beta too)
For me it wasn't super painful more uncomfortable. Most people say take ibuprofen and don't eat much before. Take a pad to wear on our way home. I had a bit of cramping after but nothing major.

I had mine done back in 2012, but my doctor said spotting was fine as long as it was very light (I looked up the email exchange from the online system for the medical group my OBGYN is part of). They do want to make sure that you aren't pregnant as they will be pushing dye through your tubes (which I think can maybe lead to an ectopic pregnancy) and subjecting you to radiation.

My clinic does the HSG day 4-12. Mine was done on day 12 last month. As for being pregnant...they always check a urine preg test before doing the HSG on people, in case they are indeed pregnant.

I just had mine 2 days ago cd7, they wanted it done between cd5-cd12. They told me to take a home preg test within 48hrs of the test, I took 2 and of course they were negative. I had to sign something stating the tests were negative. If I hadn't taken one they were going to charge me $25 for one at the office. They never mentioned bleeding or spotting. And they also did the HSG in the office with normal saline first, he couldn't see it clearly and was able to schedule me in radiology that same day to do the HSG with contrast. Mine are strict but will bend a bit because he agreed to put me on Clomid for 3 days instead of the 5 because we were on day 7 already and wanted to get this show on the road, because we all know the torturous wait with ttc.

thank you everyone for your replies! I wonder why my doc is so strict about NO bleeding whatsoever. But it's good to know that it's possible to do otherwise - that way I can at least take my chances and hope they don't turn me away. The thought of waiting another month just feels like a lifetime right now. :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->