time to wean?

_Lexi_

Mummy to 1 perfect angel and a 6yr old daughter
Reaction score
Jessica is 18 weeks tomorrow. Her sleep had got really good, waking every 4 - 5 hours for a feed, going back down easily. The past 5 days have been horrendous. She's started feeding every half hour round the clock. She's ebf, so oh can't help, and he goes away for a week tomorrow with work. I'm exhausted. I can't carry on like this. I'm drained. It's just constant screaming. Just feel like crying. Been arguing with oh all weekend because I'm so stressed and tired. He sleeps through her crying so doesn't understand how draining it is. He tries to calm her screaming, gets frustrated and passes her back to me anyway. I know they say weaning from 4-6 months. I was hoping to hold off as long as possible though. But if it will fill her up it's whats best. We've got some rusks, a couple of jars of food, and some banana porridge that we'd already bought and have in the cupboard. What do you ladies think? Any advice? x

From what I've read, 4 months is not considered early weaning, as per the AAP. Do what you think your lo needs. I'd give it a try, but I'd ask lo's pediatrician first. We were advised to wean our son at 4 months, so I read a lot of research about it then.

Maybe there's something else going on though--teething, tummy bug, sleep regression, etc.?

I personally wouldn't unless there's a sound medical reason for weaning at this age. Can she sit unaided at all? How's her eye-hand-mouth co-ordination?

As far as I know, waking up at night at this age is not a sign of readiness for solids but rather hunger because of a growth spurt. Solids don't necessarily make a baby sleep better at night either.

It could be a growth spurt hun. There is quite a big one at 4 months, coupled with poor sleep.

I think 4 months is much too early to wean, personally. Having studied Food and Nutrition which included child nutrition, it's important to just stick with Breastmilk (or formula) until 5.5/6months of age to allow the gut to mature to the level where it can tolerate the introduction of solids.

That being said, and that being my own beliefs, the bottom line is it is so baby dependent. You know your baby best, and perhaps your HV? It might be worth seeking advice from her if she's seen you both over the course of Jessica's life.

I'd say wait a while, and stick through what could just be a growth spurt. :flower:

It's probably a growth spurt couples with the 4 months sleep regression?

I would personally not wean and honestly it does not improve sleep. i have started weaning my LO (he's 6 months) and it's not made an ounce of difference to his (bad) sleeping i really think this weaning will improve thing is a complete myth.

It's extremely tiring, my LO has always been a bad sleeper and for the past 3 months he's hardly ever gone an hour without waking up. just found out he likely has an allergy or intolerance so (might be) in the process of sorting it out (hopefully) i don't have advice i just know how tough hourly wakings are :( i am even taking my LO now to weekly cranial osteopathy. i am beyond desperate because i can't do CC or CIO

Your lo is about 2 weeks younger than Flynn & he was doing all of this a few weeks ago! 4 months is a shit time with the sleep regression, teething, growth spurts etc... Def read up on the wonder weeks, Jessica is probably going through one now. My oh is the same as yours, sleeps through Flynn waking up (he actually wears ear plugs to bed now), works full time for us so I do everything for Flynn (ebf too). I am going to try & hold off introducing solids until he is 6 months. At the end of the day only you know what is best for your child, but maybe give it another week or few days & see if it is just a phase?

My daughter is 18 weeks and doing the exact same..I'm pretty sure its the sleep regression she doesn't seem more hungry just unsettled all of a sudden. Its been almost a week for us and I read a bit on 4 months there is a huge growth spurt and a ton of developmental spurts happen during this time. It reminds me a lot of the 6 week growth spurt its got me going crazy over sleep...fighting with oh, crying , and feeling depressed. Its only supposed to last a couple weeks or so but nothing over a month........its one of those things that make me stare at formula ads and get weepy!

I'd agree its a growth spurt. My lo didn't sleep for more than 3 hours at a time ever tithe was 11 months so introducing solids made no difference to his sleep. I'd stick with milk personally, maybe just up the feeds a bit?

How often do you feed her during the day?

It's probably a growth spurt couples with the 4 months sleep regression?

I would personally not wean and honestly it does not improve sleep. i have started weaning my LO (he's 6 months) and it's not made an ounce of difference to his (bad) sleeping i really think this weaning will improve thing is a complete myth.
Exactly this, night wakings around four months is often mistaken for a need to wean, but weaning before six months comes with a risk of digestive issues further down the track. I would not leap into it.

I wouldn't, especially based solely on night wakings/feeding more often. If she's hungry, milk is going to be the best thing to fill her up anyway as it offers more calories and nutrients than the food you'd typically offer.

It sounds like a regression. I think I'd probably hold off a bit longer.

Thank you everyone. In answer to how often we're feeding, I feed her on demand. This means at the moment she's feeding every 30-60 minutes day and night. We're both exhausted. Just as I drift off, she's awake. I'm used to night wakings, she's never been great at night, but I can't cope without any sleep :(

you poor thing. Are you expressing at all? What about some formula (at least someone can help a bit to give you a rest?)

you poor thing. Are you expressing at all? What about some formula (at least someone can help a bit to give you a rest?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->