Timing of IUI

tablefortwo

Reaction score
Hello ladies,
I really hope someone has been in the same situation and has some insight.
I have done an IUI few days ago but I do not have much hope for this cycle. I was on Clomid 100 mg days 4-8 and by CD 15 I had 3 beautiful follicles anywhere between 19 and 24 mm. It was a Friday right before New Year weekend so my RE told me to trigger on Sunday December 31st at midnight and come in for an IUI 36 hrs later on Tuesday January 2nd at noon.
It all sounded great except that I took an OPK on Saturday Dec 30 morning and got a strong positive.. :dohh: I immediately called my RE and asked if I still need to do a trigger 36 hours AFTER my LH surge. She didn't explain much except that she said as long as it is within 48 hours from the surge I should do a trigger and do an IUI another 36 hours later. It basically adds up to over 60 hours from my opk positive and IUI. Has anyone been in a situation when you'd ovulated on your own before you took a trigger shot? and how did it change the timing of IUI and if anyone got a bfp in that cycle? I really hope someone will be kind to shed some light. My O cramps were unbearably painful so I hate to admit that this cycle was a bust due to bad timing. Thank you all for reading!

Hello, I'm not sure if I've got anything useful to say but I didn't want to read and run.

I conceived with my DS on my 3rd go of un-medicated IUI, because I wasn't taking any stimulants they clinic didn't scan me and I was inseminated purely based on OPK results (although I was temping along side this and I always get ovulation cramping), anyway, as I said I was lucky third time around. Fast forward 2 years after Ds's birth and I decided to try again. Because I was now older the clinic suggested I stimulate from the first attempt but because I thought I knew best I went fro three un-medicated ones again with no success. I then went on to my stimulated cycles. On the 1st go I over stimulated (on the lowest does of injectables - can't remember what it was) so they didn't inseminate and halved the dose for my next round. Although they were scanning every two days I still did OPK's and felt myself ovulate before the told me to trigger, (follicles only at 16mm) I called them and they said to trigger anyway but they inseminated me the following day. Cut a long story short - this happened for my next two rounds and by the end the clinic decided that it was probably normal for me to ovulate with small follicles but because I'd never been scanned before it hadn't been noticed. In the end I didn't manage to have a 2nd baby - by this point I was already 43 and conceiving from IUI at that age is very very rare, if it ever happens.

My understanding is the an egg normally survives aprox. 24 hours from ovulation so I'd have thought it strange too to be told to come in 60 hours after you've felt cramping, my own clinic were very happy to go with what I was telling them was happening. Can I ask is it possible for you to have two inseminations on a cycle? If so then you could have the first when you have your positive, trigger then have a second (with a day in between).

Sorry if none of this is helpful, I've my fingers crossed this works out for you.

Thank you so much for your post Rags. I am very sorry you didn't get your second baby, I am sure you have done everything you could.
My understanding is the same - 60 hours after ovulation cramps is way too late for successful IUI, but it seems as doctors just go with their plan as everything is going as expected. Makes me wonder if they are really interested in a successful procedure.. I hope I am wrong.
I think I may ask my RE if we can do 2 IUIs in one cycle, but I am worried that my natural ovulation will fall on the weekend and my clinic is not open on Sat-Sun. That what happened this cycle, I called my RE on Dec 30th with a positive OPK, but she said to wait until Jan 2nd for the IUI. I am really hoping that my next IUI attempt will go much smoother and my body will cooperate with my clinics schedule and national holidays. Ugh.

I'm sorry it's not a smooth as it can be. I hope I'm wrong but I can't help feel sometimes that the clinic gets paid either way so they've not as much riding on your dream as you do!

I was lucky in that my clinic was part of the National Health Service, which meant it was open for inseminations at the weekend - an embryologist and nurse on duty from 8 - 5. They only offered one insemination per cycle but because it was NHS I was only paying for the sperm and the donors cost, I'm very aware this isn't the norm - even here with our health service.

If you look as though you will get a positive between the Thursday and Saturday morning can you skip the cycle rather than wait till the Monday? Or would you still need to pay? I know how frustrating it is when you have to skip an opportunity to conceive but I also know what it's like kicking myself for going ahead even when I knew I'd missed my window (I tried at home insemination before going to the clinic and had missed cycles and late donations hence giving up with that).

the trigger shot will cause false positives on the OPK and pregnancy test...so the best way to measure these two things is by blood test only. don't get discouraged and follow what your RE is telling you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->