Tips and advise for bowels?

StarAngel

Reaction score
I have had difficulty going to the bathroom for few weeks now and its getting quite uncomfortable, I have tried fruits, increasing water intake and mild laxatives that are safe during pregnancy and still no joy. If I do go its incomplete. I have stopped taking prenatal vitamins (am 20 + 3) my mw told me that could be doing it. Had anyone else experienced this and what helped for you? Honestly I have never wanted a proper bowel movement in all my life!!

I take laculose every day & that keeps me regular :) I have IBS so get constipated really easily. Lactulose has been a godsend for me! x

Stalking for tips! I go from one extreme to the other, I don't poop for ages but then when it does come it makes up for lost time!

One thing that gets me sorted is eating nuts! I don't know why, but nuts always provoke movement. Maybe try that?

Fresh orange juice does it for me. I have IBS too and usually have the opposite problem so can't cope with OJ but when I'm pregnant it usually does the job to get things moving.

Coffee works for me!

I have IBS and go from one extreme to the other, but whilse pregnant I seem to suffer from constipation , I find drinking lots of water and a coffee helps me .

like babydust said Physlium Husk is a good fix but you should really look at your prenatal. Lots of women take a single easy 1 pill prenatal and they usually combine the iron with the calcium in that 1 pill. Not good at all. Iron binds with calcium, dairy products and will constipate the heck out of most of us.

My colleague at work was doubled over with gas & constipation until she got the liquid iron - she was taking an all-in-one before her doctor switched her to pregvit (see below). Then when taken with a little orange juice seemed to sail fine through her pregnancy without all that pain.

50% of time it's the cheapie iron they put into the all-in-one prenatals, 50% of time it's diet related. You sound like you eat lots of greens so yours is likely pill related. When the carb & meat on your plate takes much more room than the veggie, you're in for trouble. Meat, veggie & fruits are great for keeping things going, bread/rice/pasta etc will slow things down, rice is a great fix for diarrhea! The more carb, the more constipation.

Try getting an easily absorption iron like this:
https://www.florahealth.com/product_categories.cfm?category_id=4&prod_id=87
https://www.aor.ca/products-page/advanced/ortho-iron-4/

and make sure your prenatal doesn't combine calcium with iron. Here's one that splits them iron in the morning, calcium at night:
https://duchesnay.com/en/pregvit

I feel ya girl.. Ive been bad for about ten days now. I take a stool softener daily, drink tons of water, even tried a suppository.. I have one very unsuccessful/ minimal result one day and still hard as a rock.
Hmmm as i think about it im going to google ground flax seed as often that helps me but im unsure if you can take it when preggo

Apparently flax seed is not safe during pregnancy.. So dont try that lol

1/2 cup of all bran or bran buds cereal and I will go the next day, even with my prenatal and an additional iron pill. Without it, I'll only go every 2 or 3 days.

Apple juice in large amounts gets me going. Apple cider in small amounts probably works better than any laxative lol

Not really sure other than what the others advised for more immediate help.

What's your daily fiber intake like? If you're not taking in a lot of fiber each day, I would gradually increase it and see if that helps. Could you ask your provider what else you could possibly do? I know that it's no fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->