Tips for Family Garden?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I thought you lot would be the best to ask, being all green and that. :winkwink:

I don't have any LOs yet but we recently bought our first home and seeing as we're expecting some :baby::baby::baby: to join us there in a few years time, I thought I'd get the garden nice and mature for them by then.

So my question is:

What does a garden need to be exciting and homely for kids?

So far I'm thinking lots of colourful and nice smelling flowers (cornflowers, sunflowers, daisies... any other ideas?), lots of berries (raspberries, redcurrants, maybe blueberries?), lots of herbs (ok, they're for me as well) and maybe a fast growing tree that will be big enough for climbing on in 8 to 10 years. And then once they're along there'll be a vegetable patch of course.

What do your kids love most about your gardens? What did you like as a child? What berries/fruit trees are easy to grow (in the northern parts of the UK I must add). Anyone growing cherries in Scotland??? I'd be grateful for any inspiration.

sod the plants!! i find most kids are more fascinated by the bugs and creepy crawlies than they are the plants!! so as long as you have an abundance of snails and worms theyll be happy!! lol

we've got a pond but I think we'll have to fence it off as its quite big and deep. But you could always add a small water feature - my baby is fascinated by running water and sometimes if she's a bit fussy before bed I take her outside where she can listen to our liitle stream we made. It calms her down and she often falls asleep in my arms.

When I was little, I had my own part of the garden (probably 1mx2m) and I got to choose all my own plants and do all the work there. I loved it! My grandma gave me a fab plant... we've always called it a Mouse Plant (will look up the proper name when I get home from work). It looks pretty boring at first, just a low growing mass of green shiny leaves, but when it's in flower, if you part the leaves, the flowers look like tiny purpley-grey mouse bottoms sticking out of the plant. All kids seem to love it!

I also loved fuschias because I thought they looked like ballerinas, and red currants always grew fantastically (NW England). I used to love going down to the bottom of the garden to pick and eat a handful. Some people say you shouldn't encourage kids to eat straight from the garden and that you should avoid any plants which might be harmful if eaten, but I kind of think you should just teach your kids what they can and can't eat - seems a far more natural way to be!

with your herbs, do them in pots as some can sread like mad and just take over. we've got pots of herbs and its lovely to pick a fresh handful for cooking.

your fruit tree question- im no expert but i think with most you need to either plant 2 or live near someone who has the same fruit tree for cross pollenation so that you actually get fruit. we've got a plum tree which has only been in about 3 years, last yr it had 1 tiny plum (if you can call it that) but this year theres tons, and i havent really done anything with it. so id say plums are easy going on my experience with our little tree.

for veg, spuds and onions are easy, garlic is easy. i found peas tricky but when i was a kid my dad grew peas and we'd just go and pick a pod off which was lovely.

for flowers, sweet pea flowers are lovely. you need something for them to climb up but they smell nice, are really colourful and the more you pick the more you get.

also get some old logs if you can, they attract all kinds of bugs. and a ladybird house, who wouldnt want one of them?!

if i can think of anything more i will let you know!

My little girl LOVES leaves and flowers :)

Just looked up the mouse plant I mentioned. It's actually called Arisarum proboscideum. This is a picture, though I don't think it really does the plant justice. On mine (which is still in 'my' bit of garden at my mum's and is huge now!), the leaves are closer together, shinier and a deep green and you have to part the leaves to find what really do look like mice.

https://www.growsonyou.com/plant/slideshow/Arisarum_proboscideum/71388

omg i've just looked up a laybird house they are soo cute!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->