• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Tips for using the Medela swing pump with big boobs?

jeanettekaren

Mummy to Finn
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether the size of my boobs is the issue but I'm struggling to express any milk at all even when Finn hasn't fed for ages. I have never managed more than an ounce at a time and that's from both boobs pumping for as long as the milk is flowing plus 5 minutes.

I have to push the pump quite hard onto my boobs to get a decent seal and it often breaks during the pumping which I'm sure doesn't help matters.

Does anyone have any tips? I'm sure my supply isn't that low although I do think it's lower than it should be hence the needing to pump and it is making my boobs sore as I'm squashing them so much for no reward.

what size is the funnel? im having the same with another medela pump and im using the largest size!

ive googled them and amazon have some extra large breast shields for the pump.

ive googled them and amazon have some extra large breast shields for the pump.

Thanks for that :flower: I've just had a look and i think it's definitely worth a try for a tenner. I suppose if the funnel is wider I should get a better seal around my boob without having to press down so far it leaves a mark.

I'll let you know how I get on :thumbup:

I used to have a similar problem. I was advised by an LC to do breast compressions while pumping and it's really worked for me. I especially find that I have to squeeze the underneath part of my boob while pumping (iykwim), apparently if you have big boobs it can be hard for a pump to drain the bottom part of the boob and can by why pumping doesn't yield a lot of milk :shrug:

Hope that helps!

I used to have a similar problem. I was advised by an LC to do breast compressions while pumping and it's really worked for me. I especially find that I have to squeeze the underneath part of my boob while pumping (iykwim), apparently if you have big boobs it can be hard for a pump to drain the bottom part of the boob and can by why pumping doesn't yield a lot of milk :shrug:

Hope that helps!

Great advice, I've been doing breast compressions when feeding but never thought to do the same when pumping :dohh:

im going to buy some also. I always lean forwards when I express as if I sit upright I dont get much if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"