tips needed desperately...................

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by beckybumpbaby, Apr 5, 2009.

1. beckybumpbaby

beckybumpbaby pregnant and mummy!

on how to deal with a very very very clingy baby!! he is fine and contented as long as he is being held, the minute i put him down he starts whinging so i leave him, as he is not crying just making a "fed up" noise. but he goes from that into full blown screaming, real tears the lot so i have to pick him up, as soon as i have got him he stops instantly!!!

its slowly driving me crazy, and i am finding it hard as i need and want to spend time with hollie as well but at the moment i always seem to have max tied to me!

he does not like the following!:

the bouncy chair
    laying flat on his back either in the moses basket or on the puffet
    a bean bag
    the buggy
    the car is a nightmare as long as the car is moving he is sound asleep, as soon as i stop wide awake, screaming!!

any ideas?.........

2. x-dannielle

x-dannielle Well-Known Member

Ive got the same problem with Sienna, I have to get her sound asleep on me then put her down other wise she just screams.

I find if i put a really soft pillow on the sofa and lay her in the middle of it she likes it, obviously i have to be in the room at the same time but its better then having her tied to me constantly as i can still get on with what ive got to do whilst keeping a eye on her.

x

3. Chel

Chel Well-Known Member

He sounds over tired to me. If Jasper is like that it means I've missed his sleep cues and gone into over tired mode.

My trick to get Jasper to sleep when he's overtired is I swaddle him, take him into my bed and give him a comfort feed. It works 90% of the time and its our back up plan for when he gets really messy.

Goodluck!

If it were Jasper at that age I'd be tempted to do a little 'contact parenting' like, just putting him in a sling or carrier all day, so he feels safer. When Jasper has 'bad days' I give him all the cuddles he wants, and so now he's 4 months old he's happy to play solo (like right now) for periods of up to an hour - as long as I'm there talking to him occasionally - I think he can do this because he knows if he cries I'll cuddle him, so he doesn't need to. You know?

4. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Do you swaddle him?

5. x-dannielle

x-dannielle Well-Known Member

Sienna hates being swaddled and screams the whole time when she is.

6. XKatX

XKatX Well-Known Member

I agree with Chel. When Oliver is over tired, he gets really clingy. And only I will do too - no chance of him going to daddy, even for a few minutes! Try the tips Chel gave though - they should work just nicely!

7. louise1302

louise1302 mum to FIVE boys :)

this is the exact reason i take archie to an osteopath hes been like this from day 1 well this as well as his colic...it really seems to be chilling him out and these days he is slightly happier to be put down...i dont know how it works but it does...bloody expensive though

8. caggimedicine

caggimedicine Mummy to Harry

Harry sometimes gets like this too, but it is only ever when he's over tired. I swaddle him and give him a dummy and cuddle and rock him to sleep. Sometimes if he's really grumpy, i'll give him a comfort feed instead of dummy.

9. mummymadness

mummymadness Mummy to 4

10. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

I use a sling or take him for a walk in the buggy. Then he nods off and I get a little peace. Sometimes he only has to be in the sling a little while and I can slip it off and rest it on the bean bags and he doesn't notice (if my back is sore). He's just my cuddly little fella (hope he grows out of it though :D)

11. icculcaz

icculcaz mum of 3 monsters

scarletts the same....

12. pinkmac85

pinkmac85 Mom & pregnant with #2

I've been having the same problem lately with LeeAnne..she needs to be SOUND asleep before she can leave my arms otherwise she wakes up just irate!
    I find having a really soft pillow and laying her on that on the couch or floor works well and we just recently started to swaddling her again which has worked like a charm (except she gets to warm with her fav blanket and starts to sweat..eww lol)

13. lillysmum

lillysmum Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys

it might be worth leaving him to cry a bit and going to comfort him every 5 mins or so in order to teach him that you're not going for good and you do love him but you need you own time

14. MoonMuffin

MoonMuffin Mom of 2!

Kathryn could be like that at that age, the sling i a good idea, and swaddling worked for Kathryn very well. Part of it may just be the age, or overtired (the problem with that is that you try to put them down when they are asleep and they wake right up :dohh: ). Hope it gets better soon.

15. beckybumpbaby

beckybumpbaby pregnant and mummy!

thanks for all your suggestions i will try them all!!!!! he isnt really sleeping during the day much even when holding him he sits starring around the room and he goes a whole night sleeping now, i tried the swaddling today but he hates his feet being tied in so he cant kick them!! he is a very fidgety baby and burps like a treat so i know its not wind, i suppose its just the age!! thanks again xx