Tips on Opening Mouth

Sarah88

Full time working mummy
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with my LO not opeing her mouth wide enough, my mums a LC so I should be able to do this :cry: I know I should be pulling her bottom lip down and rolling my nipple in her mouth, but it doesn't seem to work! I feel like getting a car jack and opening her mouth with that. Any tips?

Whatever you do dont let her go on without her mouth wide or you will get sore very fast! Sometimes stroking her cheek gently can work, make sure you put her on bottom lip first so that her lip is curled out. She will get the idea eventually if you dont let her go on unless she does it properley as she wont get any milk unless she does. Good luck

I never actually pulled Sam's lip down (unless you mean with the breast by putting it on his bottom lip first) but he did have problems opening his mouth wide enough at first. If you stroke your nipple downwards over her lips (top lip then over the bottom lip) she should start opening it more - even if she opens it a bit keep going until it's wide enough...first few times might take a bit longer but she should soon leaarn that's what she has to do if she wants fed :D x

Mum gave me some advice, to hold my breast closer to the nipple to sandwich it more, I could get her on my right side (flat nipple) and it didn't hurt which was great! I have made an appt with a lactation consultant and she's coming over in the mroning. Fingers crossed. :)

I get this problem sometime too - especially when Thomas is sleepy.

I've also found that putting him on bottom lip first helps. The MW at the hospital also suggested squeezing the aerola smaller so he can get more in - I haven't managed to achieve this though.

My MW said to use your middle finger, and push on baby's chin, and try getting their mouth more open. So if you have your thumb on top of the nipple and other fingers under, try to reach out with the middle finger for the baby's chin. Does that make sense?

I had to squeeze my breasts to get them into Kaya's mouth

My MW said to use your middle finger, and push on baby's chin, and try getting their mouth more open. So if you have your thumb on top of the nipple and other fingers under, try to reach out with the middle finger for the baby's chin. Does that make sense?

Sounds like a good idea, i'll give it a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->