Tips to make it through first trimester?

Erika_Whitney

Reaction score
This is my first time being pregnant- I will be 7 weeks on Sunday. I had my first appt last week and got to see our little baby and heartbeat :) it really was life changing. My doc asked me that day if I "felt pregnant" an other than sore boobs and mood swings, no I didn't. Two days later the nausea and sickness started. I am misreable, food is the most disgusting thing to even think about, everything anyone says gets on my last nerves and I am hot all the time. I feel so guilty for admitting that I am miserable now :( I am so happy to be expecting, but does anyone have any tips for making the first trimester a bit better? I just don't even feel human... My dr. Gave me diclegis and it has helped with getting sleep at night but I am still nauseous and I sleep all day long. Maybe I just needed to vent, but any tips would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

The best thing I can suggest is to stick to foods you can tolerate, even if that means living off dry cornflakes.

Sleep as much as possible, being tired makes me feel so much more nauseous.

Drink plenty of fluids but sip frequently instead of taking huge drinks at once.

Sleep as much as you can.

I found sucking on boiled sweets helped with my last pregnancy.

Sleep....lots.

Eat little and often. Your digestive system has been forgotten about as your body focuses on growing a baby and a placenta so big meals take an absolute age to digest, your stomach will gurgle like mad and you will feel even worse. It's important also to not be hungry as hunger really does make the sickness worse. I keep my kitchen stocked with things I can tolerate, which don't have to be cooked. Wee bags of ready prepared fruit, yogurts, dry biscuits. I can tolerate bagel with cream cheese this pregnancy so I have one of those a couple of times a day and just snack every hour. Fresh fruit really is my go to snack this time through, apples and melon mostly.

Try and keep busy when you're not sleeping. Lying clinging to the sofa always makes me feel worse.

You'll get through it and it will soon be a distant memory. 2nd tri is usually pretty good! :)

This is my second pregnancy. I'll also be 7 weeks on Sunday!

I feel your pain... nauseous almost 24/7.... plan to ask my dr for medicine this time if it is worse by my appt in 8 days....

My tips from last time...

Take it slow.. moving fast made my nausea so much worse.

Sleep whenever you can. Chores can wait. Any extras can be put off till later.

Eat whatever you feel like. Don't worry about being healthy. Eat what you can when you can.

Don't stress. If you're stressed, symptoms feel much worse.

Take comfort in the fact that you have good strong symptoms and your hormones must be rising well :)

If you can't stop barfing or can't eat, ask your doc for something for the nausea. I'm on diclegis and zofran and its making things manageable.

Otherwise, popcicles help tremendously with keeping hydrated if you can't sip/drink. I eat what I can, when I can. Bready foods help absorb acid, ginger tea and ginger snaps can help a bit with the nausea also.

As far as the waiting factor, well, try to stay busy the best you can. I'm doing a lot of reading and taking on extra responsibility at my church to keep me on the go.

Order a fetal doppler. It will work at 10-12 weeks and keep you entertained a bit, hearing the babe.

I found with my first pregnancy that if I let my stomach get empty, I wouldn't be able to stop vomiting. I just made sure I always had something small to snack on; like rice cakes, or dry cereal. As long as I had something in my system, it seemed to be better. By the second trimester, it had cleared up. Best of luck to you :)

I agree with everything said above :) I slept an awful lot during weeks 6-10 I was just so tired I had zero energy! I practically lived off toast too, make sure you get plenty fluids inside you, that's really important.

Hope the first trimester goes as smoothly as possible for you x

Eat enough, sleep enough, and try to stay busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->