Tips to stop baby falling asleep at the boob?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Lu28, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Aisling is starting to latch on really well which I'm really pleased about :) Problem is, she keeps faling asleep at the boob while having a suck every now and then. She's definitely not full because she'll scream for milk after a few minutes when she comes off. Any tips on keeping her awake and sucking properly? I'm constantly playing with her ears and feet and it's not doing anything! :dohh:

2. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Take her off and change and wind her when she starts to look like she'd gonna nod off. Even if she doesnt need it, undress her and take her nappy off then put it all back on again - that will wake her. She might not like you too much for it but she'll have a burp while she's off and then you can put her back on that boob and she should suck like a trooper!! :)

3. sam's mum

sam's mum mum of two gorgeous boys

Sam used to fall asleep all the time too. Try feeding her in just a nappy so she doesn't get too warm and comfortable. I used to blow on Sam's face or fiddle with his ears/hands if he fell asleep but he'd suck for another few seconds and then fall asleep again :roll: ...they do get better at staying awake long enough to fill themselves up after the first few weeks though!

Love your avatar btw :D ...she's adorable! x

4. cinnamum

cinnamum Mumof_6_PREG W#7

tickle there nose! that worked for us x x x x

5. Logiebear

Logiebear Mum to 4 darlings

I have used tickling feet, running my finger nail up and down her spine, stripping her down to her vest. None of these really worked though if I'm honest. If she wanted to sleep then nothing would stop her and she too would wake and start crying for more milk after a few minutes. It's annoying but it only lasts a few weeks and then they are awake much more anyway. HTH

6. mrs shine

mrs shine Well-Known Member

Strip her down to her vest, lift her arms up and down, blow on her face, tickle the her palms. They only work to a certain extent like Logie says and after a couple of weeks they wake up!

7. freckleonear

freckleonear Crunchy mummy

Aaron was very sleepy in the first couple of weeks due to pethidine, so I used to tickle his hands and feet while he was feeding and blow gently on his face. He would still fall asleep so then I would undress him or even give him a bath. Well done with the latching and hope you find some way of keeping her awake. :hugs:

8. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Thanks ladies, I think keeping her awake will be my project for tomorrow! :)

9. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Like the others said they do seem to sleep loads those early weeks....she'll have more open eye time soon x