TMI Menstrual Cup Question

Teafor2

Reaction score
Please be forewarned that this post has some icky details.

So I have used menstrual cups on and off for years. I’ve never had any problems other than some leaking because my periods are quite heavy and my cervix sits low.

Fast forward to this cycle. It is our first cycle ttc and I was never on birth control, so it’s also my first cycle consistently introducing sperm into my vagina.

I used my menstrual cup as per usual for the first 2 days of my cycle no problem. On the third day we were traveling so I decided to use pads to avoid any potential leakage.

In anticipation of the gap I decided to sanitize my cup on Sunday night and boiled it for 20 minutes. I then didn’t use it again until Monday night after showering. I used it overnight and took it out the next morning after breakfast... 11 hours later (it’s suggested not to exceed 12 hours before changing it).

When I took it out the smell is not something I would care to describe, but let’s just say it was horrible. Not the fishy bv smell, but something else entirely. I cleaned the cup and could not get the smell out. I did a finger test to see if the smell was coming from me, but everything smelled normal, the smell was just the cup.

I obvious decided to forgo the cup for the day, but the question is this:

Could the smell be from leftover sperm? And does this mean I can’t use the cup when ttc? I have always followed all the instructions that come with the Lunette cup, which is the brand I use, so I know sanitation wise everything was clean. Has anyone had a similar experience or any insight?

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"