To induce or not to induce?!?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Noodles, Dec 11, 2009.

?

Should I be induced if I am given the option on Monday?

  1. Yes, you should be induced

  2. No, you should let nature take it's course

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Noodles

    Noodles Mummy to two boys!

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Messages:
    5,722
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've got a growth scan on Monday and I've basically been told that if he weighs less than 6lbs 4oz (which according to my last growth scan is what he should be measuring around now) then they will give me the option to be induced (poss as early as Tuesday).

    As you may be aware, I've constantly been saying that I'm far to busy to have a baby and it's true! We have just moved house (3 weeks ago) and everything won't be finished until a week on Sunday (as my father-in-law is coming a week on Sat to finish off little bits and bobs around the house like putting up tie back hooks, pictures and bathroom cabinet). We are also having our living room sideboard delivered on Tuesday so that we can sort out some of the stuff that we have cluttering up the living room. On top of this we have show tickets for a week on Sat (best seats) which where bourght in January, before I was pregnant and we are supposed to be going with my in-laws (it's their Christmas Present). We also get paid next Friday and wanted to pick up a few more bits and bobs with that money.

    I don't know if it would be better off to be induced on Tuesday (if it came to that) or take my chances with him holding out a little longer. My problem is I know that I would be turning it down for purly selfish reasons and they wouldn't offer me if if they didn't think it was in his best interests. Plus if they offered me an induction for a week on Sunday, once I had had a chance to get everything in order, then I was snatch their hands off.

    What would you do?
    :wacko:
     
  2. bethy1512

    bethy1512 due NYE 09

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    300
    Likes Received:
    0
    i think if they say it is in flumps best interests then to do it as soon as poss. But perhaps ask them if maybe you could do it a week on tuesday? thats should give you more time to prepare. they can only say no, and they wouldnt agree to it if they thought they were putting you and flump at risk. they can only say yes or no huni.

    I wouldnt worry too much until you have had the scan tho huni, the MW is just estimating and you would be suprised how wrong they get it when you actually have a scan.

    Best of Luck
     
  3. PieMistress

    PieMistress Proud and happy Mummy

    Joined:
    May 8, 2009
    Messages:
    924
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would go with your gut instinct. If you can avoid an induction then I would but obviously if baby's health is at risk then go for it. Can they give you a sweep instead of an actual medical induction?

    What prompted them giving you a growth scan (if you don't mind me asking)? My bump is small and measures small but the MW never mentioned one to me?
     
  4. Noodles

    Noodles Mummy to two boys!

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Messages:
    5,722
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've been mesuring 5 weeks behind since 31 weeks and I've been scanned before and everything was fine, he was measuring on the 48th percentile which is pretty much bang on average. Since then I've moved areas and seen 3 different midwives, so I don't have a constant person who measures me and my chart looks a show. I even flat lined over a 2 week period so my new midwife wants me to go for another scan and has said that if he growth has slowed down then it would prob be in his best interests (as I'm full term anyway) to get him out as babies often gain weight easier outside of the womb.

    Everything may be fine and they may not even give me the option of being induced, but it's a decision that I don't want to have to make with no time to think about it
     
  5. loopdido

    loopdido Mum to 2

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1,690
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm confused - why are they offering to induce you this early if his weight is ok? I had a scan at just under 36+5 and they estimated 6lb2oz. Nothing said about that being small or being induced etc and that was after a hind water leak. is there another reason flump needs to come out now? sorry if I missed something, lol.
     
  6. Noodles

    Noodles Mummy to two boys!

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2009
    Messages:
    5,722
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's because his growth will have slowed down from what my last growth scan had shown. Had I not had a scan at 31 weeks there would have been nothing to compare it to. Basically because I had that scan, they have a better idea of what he 'should' weigh by now as apposed it just being a guess based on a 20 week scan. All babies are different so if they didn't have any other info to go on 6lbs 4oz falls within the normal range so nothing would be said, it's just becuase they have a better idea of where he should be on the scale. So if he is measuring under what they are expecting, he is classed as 'not growing to scale'.
     
  7. QTPie

    QTPie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    Messages:
    4,536
    Likes Received:
    0
    Depends what their advice is... if it is "we really think that he would be better out than in", then I would take it. If not (and there was no obvious risk to staying in), then I would wait.

    Regardless of "scheduling" there are other "downsides" to induction:
    - an induced birth is supposed to be a lot less comfortable (for both you and the baby) than one that follows it's own timing.... contractions are faster, less natural etc.
    - the baby is "less ready": apparently babies naturally put on a bit of extra fat the few days IMMEDIATELY before birth (to see them through those first few days when they don't get a lot of calories). If they are induced (before they are ready), then they haven't had time to put this extra fat on. Not a biggie (doesn't mean that inducing is harmful/bad), but not ideal...

    I may well be in the same position as you in a few weeks... (since my baby's growth has slowed between 28 and 32 weeks - I am being re-scanned at 35 weeks to check his growth again). At the end of the day, it is "whatever is best for the baby"... If he is fine in there, then let nature run its course a bit longer (maybe with another scan). If they have doubts (and he is better out), then best to get him out.

    Good luck. :hugs:

    QT
     
  8. fairy1984

    fairy1984 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1,530
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree with what others have said.

    Basically whatever is best for the baby is ultimatly going to be best for you.

    I think that when our babies get here it will be a bit chaotic regardless of the other things going on in your life :)
     
  9. loopdido

    loopdido Mum to 2

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1,690
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oh I see now! lol. well in that case if they think it's really necessary to do that soon, then i say go with it....you'll soon work things out at home and get things how you want them....take care
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice