To the point where I dont know if I can continue.....

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Ashley8806, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Ashley8806

Ashley8806 Well-Known Member

We finally got our supply issue pretty much figured out. But LO is a month old, and still breastfeeds for up to two hours at a time. I have a 3 year old to take care of, and can't sit here with her breastfeeding for that long. Last night it was 3 and a half hours.... If I decide to quit breastfeeding I will probably exclusively pump for a little while, but am just so frustrated and can't understand why it takes her so long. Other babies are done in 15-20 minutes.

2. grandbleu

grandbleu MAL with Little Blue

Sorry hon :hugs: I don't have a solution but wanted to let you know I can understand your frustration - those are long feeds.

Perhaps she has a very intense need to suck even when full...maybe try a pacifier to see?

3. MommyMoore503

MommyMoore503 Mommy of 2 girls

I agree with grandbleu. At my breastfeeding class last night she went over a similar situation. She said after about 2 weeks when baby is more comfortable with the latch it's ok to introduce a pacifire. Are you keeping track of her swollows? If she isn't swollowing a whole lot it may be because her latch isn't quite right and therefore taking a but longer to fill her tum. I, too, have a 3 year old and a 5 year old so I'm very anxious about how feeds will go as this will be the first time my body will be able to produce milk. Hopefully things work out for both of us! Good luck :)

4. Mrshoffie

Mrshoffie Well-Known Member

I know how you feel we went through that phase! It's cluster feeding and very common up to 6-8 weeks . The only thing I found helped was to pump (Maybe after an earlier feed?) and subsititute one feed with expressed milk. (then when you feed lo you pump for next day) that way lo may go longer between feeds, you get a rest and you still have the option of dropping the bottle in a couple of weeks and feeding lo from the breast again.

5. Ashley8806

Thanks - as for the pacifier, she takes it for a little bit and cries, so it doesn't really help. We had a check up at the doctor today and we discussed doing every other feeding bottle and pumping to get a break. She wants me to use formula for those bottle feeds, but I'm not going to, at least not yet. I don't know, i just want a life back and some freedom to go shopping or something for a while and not have to think about pumping, etc. I'm just getting really frustrated with breastfeeding, as much as I hate to say it.

6. Lauki

Lauki Mummy and newly pregnant!

It's hard isn't it? Sophie used to clusterfeed for about 6-7 hours at night, it was horrendous. It didn't last long though and from about 6-8 weeks it slowed down. Her bedtime became earlier and her feeds would space out to about every 1.5-2 hours.

It's damn hard, but don't forget it will end! I can't tell you what to do obviously, but maybe you can try and stick with it for another couple of weeks and see if it gets better then? Don't forget how easy breastfeeding is when it's established. You don't have to faff around with pumping and bottles.

It really does get easier! I thought I would never get Sophie off my boobs, but now I sometimes just offer her when she's not really asking for it, because she hasn't fed for so long!

7. Super G

Super G Well-Known Member

You know you've done so well so far. I know it's really hard when they're permanently attached. There's a growth spurt around now so lo could be working on increasing your supply.

The first 6 or 7 weeks were the hardest for me, but then somehow things clicked, it got much easier and now I love breastfeeding.

Anyway, maybe take things a day at a time.

8. Ashley8806

Thanks ladies :flower: I just know that I have to keep pumping as well as breast feed her, because I go back to work in a few weeks. So with these long feeds and pumping, I feel like my boobs never get a break. I'm sticking it out, however I did decide to do one bottle of formula a day, which is her bed time bottle. I still pump at this time so my body knows to still make the milk, and hope after she starts gaining some weight (had appt yesterday, only gained 8 oz in a month :( ) then go back to EBF again