Toddler Sleeping

Cat

Reaction score
Just wanted to know from those of you with one year olds what are they like at sleeping at night?

Every here and there Noah sleeps right through till 8ish, but most of the time he still wakes about twice a night on average. Not for bottles or anything, and normally its just a case of tucking him in or giving him his dummy and he goes stright back out like a light, but its a bit of a pain getting the sleep disruptions, and last night I think I went into him about 4 times. With number 2 due so soon Ican see we are going to be constantly getting up for one of them. :(

Coby has just started to sleep through about 2 weeks ago, He gets restless in the nights coz of his teeth, and now and again we have to get up to put gel on him, but then he goes back down ok, hes not really awake, he just sleeps better if you get what i mean.

He goes to bed at about 9ish and wakes up about 7.

Sometimes we dont hear anything from him, other times we have to put gel on him or give him his dummy back a couple of times a night.
I class that as sleeping through coz before he would wake up and wouldnt go back off to sleep for an hour or so.

xx

My 2 are both great sleepers. if they are well not teething or poorly they go to bed between 7pm -7.30pm and both wake at 8am

then about 11am they both go for a 2 hour nap

i suppose i am lucky, i was on the bus yesterday and the woman with a 2 yr old was saying her daughter still wakes for bottles though the night too

chloe sleeps from 7/7:30ish till 7/8 the next morning, callum is still up 2-3 times a night

See Noah will normally sleep 12-13 hours a night and has a nap in the day. Its just that he wakes up, cries, you run in put his dummy in or pull up his blanket and hes asleep again. He doesnt tend to sleep uninterupted if you know what I mean.

chloe has been like that for a week or so im putting that down to her being unsettled as she was unwell, i hope she is soon out of it tho!!

hmmm . . . . Im wondering if I should stop going into him and let him cry till he stops instead, so he learns that he needs to settle himself. Its just its so easy to just run in and shut him up straight away as opposed to have him cry for like 10 mins!

i just leave chloe :oops: she settles herself, and i know if shes crying for a bit longer thn 10 mins or so thn she needs me, if u no wot i mean??

Im lucky with jamie he sleeps all night, has the odd occasion when he will just wake up and chat away to himself!!!! lol i always use the grobags/sleeping bags things as it keeps him nice and warm so saves me getting up to tuck him in all the time etc!

Ewan is 17 month and still wakes about twice a night, usually wants a drink and then will go back to sleep.
Drives me mad! he had a period between 13- an 15 months where he started sleeping through regularly.
But since he has been teething again and then having a gastric bug he has gone back to waking again!

Cat said:
See Noah will normally sleep 12-13 hours a night and has a nap in the day. Its just that he wakes up, cries, you run in put his dummy in or pull up his blanket and hes asleep again. He doesnt tend to sleep uninterupted if you know what I mean.

Ella has been like that the past couple of months since she started teething, she will wake crying, but will settle with her dummy or a cuddle usually around 5am. Before that she used to sleep all the way through no interuptions.

kacy goes down at 6.30/7 and she has no time of waking up but kacy is good she has slept through, she might wake up in the night and just play but i don't know anything about it.

Rebecca is now refusing to go down-have a fight with her for an hour, eventually goes down at 10ish then up at 6-6.30am, sleeps 10mins during the day if I am lucky! :twisted: Dont know where she gets the enrgy from! :roll:

She never has been a good sleeper, so I am used to it! Hope the 2nd is a sleepy baby :p

KX said:
Rebecca is now refusing to go down-have a fight with her for an hour, eventually goes down at 10ish then up at 6-6.30am, sleeps 10mins during the day if I am lucky! :twisted: Dont know where she gets the enrgy from! :roll:

She never has been a good sleeper, so I am used to it! Hope the 2nd is a sleepy baby :p

Have you tried controlled crying? Thats what I have done with Noah now we have taken the dummies away, and within about 3 days we havent needed to go into him at all in the night now :) I think Ijust went into him all the time before cause it was quicker and easier, but really if you go for controlled crying you have 2-3 rough nights and its done.

Kx I am going through the same with Seren. She was doing great but was ill a couple of weeks ago, and has been a nightmare since, will not go to bed. I have also decided to stop feeding her at night (my HV kept having heartattacks when I said I was still doing so) as it is annoying me more then anyhting. She screamed the place down last night so I just held her till she calmed down and fell asleep. I hope that she will soon realise that there is nothing to wake up for.

I am going to be ordering Elizabeth Pantley's no-cry sleep solutions if you don't want to use controlled crying. I will let you know if it has any magic solutions.

Ella was a fab sleeper until the past couple of months. She's slept through around 3 times in the past few weeks but for instance last night she was awake at 2am, 3am and 5am for milk. She slept for 5 minutes today for my mum, fell asleep in her highchair at 6pm, we woke her up at 6.45pm and she screamed solidly through her bath and getting her down to bed for a hour. In the end I snuggled up next to her in my bed and she settled off (so did I :oops: ) and I put her back in her cot at 8.30.

I really don't think I can deal with her waking 3 times a night and a newborn doing the same thing :(

Beanie please keep me posted on how Seren gets on :D Its so tiring.

Kina, Ella sleeps like Rebecca during the day-not at all :roll: My HV sent me through a leaflet about problem sleeping babies, all about controlled crying. I have done this the past 3 nights and she gets that hysterical she throws up all over her cot etc. Its more hassle than its worth, especially with work in the morning :twisted:

Hope we get our girls down at night soon ladies xxxxx

Seren is improving - woohoo. I made the big decision to stop nursing her at night as I said before, and I felt so bad. But it was starting to annoy me, and plus she was just latching on then biting really hard and I was not happy. She still throws a wobbly when I say no after she wakes and asks but these are getting less and a lot quicker - she accepts her dummy and goes back to sleep. As for putting her to bed, that is slowly improving too. Last night she was playing up, so we put her in her bed, put her winnie pooh toy on and I sat in the room for about 15 mins and she eventually nodded off at 9pm all by herself. She didn't wake til 4.30am and she settled back very quickly (in my bed though - I am so naughty hehe) and didn't wake til 6.30am when she wanted a feed.

Tonight she has gone to bed in the same way, and hasn't stirred as of yet even when I had to change her bum as she had pooed. I hope this is the start of the improvement.

Kx, Seren was a nightmare at sleeping during the day - used to have 10 mins here and there. In the end I would nap with her, we would just go to bed. It got her used to having a long nap during the day, and now she will have a nap that lasts anywhere between 1 hour on a bad day to 2/3 hours on a good day by herself (though if I am being lazy I still go for a nap). I don't know how practical this is for you but I thought I would share. It has helped with her going to nursery too as she goes for a regular nap there. She was in a cot but they have moved her onto a mattress, and she sleeps really well. How is Rebecca's sleep at nursery?

Well done Seren, thats excellent! 2/3 hours a day-quite right u having a nap too, recharge ur batteries :wink:

Beanie, Rebecca doesnt sleep any longer than 20 mins all day at the nursery, they have a battle on their hands with her as they stress the importance of napping is for kids, but what can I do?

I ahve spoke to the HV about it, and its the same old "some children are just like that" :twisted:

Anyway big hugs to Seren for improving, a true star! :wink:

KX the cotrolled crying is hard work but it does work, we had to do it wth Ella when she went through a phase of not gonig down at night, she would scream blue murder, we had to leave her crying, the firt night it took 45 mins for her to go to sleep, the next night 35 mins, the next night 10 mins and the night after that, no crying!

Its hard work but the trick is not to give in, if you give in after 30mins of crying, then they think, if I cry long enough mummy will come and get me and I get my own way! Its heartbreaking leaving them scream and so easy to pick them up and givew them a cuddle but if you stick at it its really worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->