Toddler waking with new baby?

M

mummyclo

Hi :flower:
We are thinking of TTC soon but i am worried that F won't be sleeping through by the time i have the next baby, he has slept through the night about 3 times since he was born.
Just wondered if anyone has experienced this and what happened i.e did they get better or worse etc. I really struggle with lack of sleep and it just makes me feel ill, i obviously manage but i'd rather not be putting myself through unnecessary extra sleep deprivation iygwm?
Should i just wait till he starts sleeping through?
So confused!

Any reason (medical) that he doesn't STTN?

Many toddlers go through a rough time (sleeping) with teething, but it really should be completely reasonable that be STTN in 10 or so months.

What techniques do you use to settle him and help he sleep through?

QT

No reason at all, he usually wakes and has a bottle at around 2-3am.
We have always given him dinner at 5ish and bath bottle and in bed by 6-6.30 (he get tired and starts falling asleep at this time anyway).
I tried patting him back down last night but he just woke up and cried for me as soon as i stopped. Ive not tried any proper techniques yet i.e PUPD, CC or CIO as i don't like the idea of having to "train" him to sleep. BUT if i am going to have to do tat then i will.
x

Is he getting good food and milk intake during the day? Is he maintaining a healthy weight? If so, there is really no need for a middle of the night milk feed... Have you tried swapping it to water? Weaning him off that way?

Is it just that once a night waking? What time does he wake up for the day?

How do you settle him at bed time?

I am a strong believer that you need to "train" a child to sleep, but I do believe that there are more gentle ways of doing it than CIO etc....

If you leave a child to "STTN on their own devices", then you may be very lucky OR they could still be waking, screaming for a bottle at 4 years old... :(

You are likely to have problems - because of teething - anyway (things were "on and off" for us between 13 and 19 months), but when the teething stopped, DS snapped straight back into STTN...

It is a personal decision, but I would look to TTCwhilst tackling the sleep training (gently), but be prepared for some Ricky months (both with training and teething). Don't put life on hold (if you feel ready otherwise) because of what your toddler may or may not do: otherwise you could be waiting a very long time :(

Thanks, he eats LOADS and has just gone from the 9th to the 25th centile in the last month so he must be getting all he needs. He wakes about 2-3 times but 2 times out of the three i can manage to get him back off without a bottle.
I might start watering his milk down and see if that makes a difference ( my H.V suggested this also)
x

My son was BF and started STTN at just before 19 months when I was 14 weeks pregnant with #2. When we brought her home he woke up a few times the first night or 2, but then has slept through her crying since! So all is working out well!

My son was still waking 2-3x/night at a year old to BF and by 18 months it was only once a night so I didn't think much of it. I thought it was normal lol!

Like Sun my son was waking in the night too, but until 14 months :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->