Toilet issues - 8 yr old boy - TMI sorry!

broodymrs

Mummy to my boys
Reaction score
Hi all
It’s a long time since I was last on here but having a few parenting issues lately that I’d appreciate advice on from those who have been there and done that!

There’s a couple of things with my oldest at the moment, both to do with toilet habits.

1. Bed wetting. Since being dry at night at 4 we’ve had accidents on and off. He would never admit he’d weed and always said he was ‘a bit sweaty’. It didn’t happen that often so it wasn’t a big deal to change the sheets and give him a bath. However accidents are now becoming more frequent to the point that they are probably weekly now. We’ve talked about it and he still won’t admit it’s wee. Maybe he genuinely thinks it isn’t if he’s in a deep sleep. But anyway we agreed on no drinks at bedtime and make sure he goes to the loo before bed and then before sleep (sometimes there’s quite a gap between bed and sleep as he listens to an audiobook). We’ve had one accident however and it’s been about a week so I’m not sure we can really say it’s working. Any tips?

2. Second issue links in to weeing and could perhaps explain the night accidents. He can’t wee standing up. I’ve never considered this a big deal but my husband says it is as he says men’s toilets normally only have one cubicle and that it’s normally disgusting. Whenever we’ve tried to get him to wee standing up before he says he physically cannot do it and it only comes out of sitting down. So again, any tips?

3. Third issue is around pooing. This is my main concern out of the three. When he goes for a poo he quite often leaves the toilet in a state and doesn’t wipe his bum properly. I’ve told him he needs to leave the toilet as he finds it and where the cleaning stuff is and he’s got a lot better at that. However the poor bum wiping is still going on. I’ve got wet wipes but that’s not really helped. Again he denies it and says he has wipes properly but I know he hasn’t as I can smell it. We just had an incident where he said he’d wiped and refused to let me check. Fair enough, he’s 8 and getting more private so that’s fine but I knew he hadn’t so I ran him a bath. When I went to let out the water there were bits of poo floating in it . I said to him about it and he finally admitted that ‘a bit got stuck and he couldn’t wipe it out’. How do I teach him good hygiene habits?

any tips appreciated and sorry for all the gross info!

I could be wrong but is there any chance he is constipated, that would certainly explain a lot of the issues he is having. Might be worth looking into..good luck!

The issues have been going on a while so I don’t think it’s that. He’s also been for a poo 3 times today so pretty sure he isn’t! Thank you for your response though

My daughter was regularly pooing but was having wee accidents here and there, turns out she was only clearing her lower bowel and her upper bowel was backed up with old stool placing pressure on her bladder. Anyway that’s our experience but it’s only one possible explanation, I hope that you find some solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->