Toileting - the next step??

new_to_ttc

fidget is a baby boy!
Reaction score
George started potty training last week of August, and is dry day & night. Over the last few weeks he has transitioned from me putting him on the potty every 20 minutes to asking to use the toilet when it suits him. However, it seems he is asking for the toilet when he NEEDS to go and Im not convinced he could hold it if we werent near a toilet.

How do I encourage him to hold it a bit longer in preparation, or is it too soon and he'll just transition in time? We just this week got a car, so will be doing more long distances to see family more often etc and it just wont be possible to do a toilet spot so easily. Least out at the park or shops there is usually a toilet within a few minutes walk so no long waiting for him!

Take a potty in the car with you. If he can go all night without wetting then it probably wont be a long transition but it's about giving him the confidence that he can manage it. If you're driving and he says he needs he may well manage to wait if it's just a case of 'let me find a place to pull over' if you say we'll be 10 minutes, hold on, it doesn't really mean much to him and he may well piddle because he doesn't know if he can hold it. I kept a potty in the car , and under the buggy, for any trips longer than about 20 minutes for a month or so after DS was out of nappies. Good luck

I bet it will just get better with time. Is there a reason you can't take a potty with you and make a potty stop while in the car? We started pottying Violet at about 3 days old and while her use of the potty goes up and down at home, she actually uses it the best while we're traveling in the car. The last time we went on a long car trip, it was at a time of day when she was going particularly frequently and she got several pees and even a poop in the potty and stayed clean and dry the whole ride down. It can be tricky if there isn't immediately a spot to pull over, but if there is a spot within a few minutes, it's certainly doable.

He just will as time goes on. You cant do anything, except be ready....always. Boys can pee anywhere tho.

He really hates the potty :/ Though I do have one which if needs be he would have to go on tears and all! I havent actually tried any long trips yet having onlu#yjust getting the car, he may actually be great, Im just planning ahead :) The first part of our journey has minimal spaces to stop, but once on the regular motorways I think there is more opportunity with more service stations etc We'll soon know how it goes on Monday :haha: I have bought a 'piddle pad' for the car seat so that may help if we have an accident lol

Thanks ladies :flower: x

Ah, a potty aversion. That would be a challenge. He may surprise you in the car, he may not. I guess you will just have to see. Would he maybe be open to peeing onto the "piddle pad?" instead of into the potty? Materially, you'll have the same result as diapers, but you'll still be supporting his potty learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->